ok so i recieved my droid bout 4 days now and was trying today to root the device and it's software. I downloaded the files from different sources just incase of any 1 being corrupted. now i watched a video tutorial on youtube which was pretty easy but once i attempted, it failed, and i seem to know where i went wrong, which is it was stated that i needed to put the renamed file "update.zip" in the "root" of the SD which i don't see when i mounted the card when i had connected to my laptop. There are a few files that are on my SD which are for ringtones, DCIM for pics and a couple others from d/l some apps from theMarketplace. So my main question is what files are suppose to be on the SD Memory Card ?

TIA
    01-24-10 06:54 PM
    The root is the very top direrectory level of your sd card and not a directory called "root"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-10 07:11 PM
    The root is the very top direrectory level of your sd card and not a directory called "root"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    thanks for the approach but can this be broken down a bit simplier into layman's terms as i'm not understanding the "very top level of the directorys' sd card"
    01-25-10 01:07 AM
    Don't put it in any folder. Just copy it to the sd card without opening anything, that is the root.
    01-25-10 01:20 AM
    thanks for the approach but can this be broken down a bit simplier into layman's terms as i'm not understanding the "very top level of the directorys' sd card"
    No offense, but if you don't know that I wouldn't attempt to root your phone in your case. Once you brick your phone its done forever.

Anyways the root directory is when you click on the icon (ie. my computer>(E Removable Disk) that's root without opening up any additional files in your SD card.
    01-25-10 02:36 AM
    The root is basically the very beginning of the card, not inside any folders just on the card itself.

I don't know how to make it sound any simpler.
    01-25-10 11:20 AM
    Don't put it in any folder. Just copy it to the sd card without opening anything, that is the root.
    No offense, but if you don't know that I wouldn't attempt to root your phone in your case. Once you brick your phone its done forever.╕

Anyways the root directory is when you click on the icon (ie. my computer>(E Removable Disk) that's root without opening up any additional files in your SD card.
    pretty much nailed it on the head for me

The root is basically the very beginning of the card, not inside any folders just on the card itself.
    thank you all very much for that ... now i understand what the root is. now with that being said i am using Win7 and getting that it "failed" after placing the file in the root and renaming it "update.zip" ... Any Suggestions guys ?!?!?! Thanks
    Last edited by black_rain�; 01-25-10 at 11:53 AM.
    01-25-10 11:50 AM
    I'm guessing you have known file types extension hidden. Rename it to just "update" and try it again.

Just to verify, right click on that update.zip file, select properties and look at the Details tab. If my guess is right, it would say update.zip.zip
    01-25-10 09:48 PM
    What failed? Copying it over to your sd card failed?
    01-25-10 09:55 PM
    When you connect it to your laptop, you need to go to your phone, go to notification bar, go to USB Connected, then hit "mount"

Once thats done, copy it over, drag n drop, then after its there unmount.

if yer trying to update from update.zip then you need to boot into the boot menu.

Do this by powering phone off

Then while powering on, hold the power button + x button on hard keyboard.
    then a big exclamation sign will pop up.
    press and hold the camera key + the up volume key.

then in that menu you will be able to "apply update.zip"
    01-25-10 10:02 PM
    What failed? Copying it over to your sd card failed?
    it failed when i was attempting to apply "update.zip"
    01-26-10 03:23 PM
    I'm guessing you have known file types extension hidden. Rename it to just "update" and try it again.

Just to verify, right click on that update.zip file, select properties and look at the Details tab. If my guess is right, it would say update.zip.zip
    nailed it
    + 10 char

THANKS to all that had an input to help
    Last edited by black_rain�; 01-26-10 at 06:02 PM. Reason: forgot to say thanks
    01-26-10 03:30 PM
    yeah i have the same exact problem. any advice?
    says
    "--instal from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted."
    Last edited by ryan64; 02-09-10 at 10:14 PM.
    02-09-10 08:08 PM
    yeah i have the same exact problem. any advice?
    says
    "--instal from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted."
    try just "update" without the .zip (thats what worked for me)
    02-09-10 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD