I have the sprint hero. what are the pros and cons of rooting it? i can wait for 2.1 but i love to mod things to find out what they can really do. any help?

(btw i have used ubuntu and linux so i understand what rooting is and the dangers. just wonderin what i can and cant do with it on the Hero.
    01-02-10 11:32 PM
    I don't have a hero, or htc phone for that matter, but from what I can see, there is a large development group for htc phones in general, and quite a lot of things you can do when rooted. Custom roms, fully skinned themes, and just the ability to have a truly open phone.

Only downsides to it are it voids your warranty, and if you really try hard, you can permanently brick your phone.
    01-02-10 11:36 PM
    I'm thinking about rooting my droid as well. My question is I'm going to leave it on 2.0.1, but when 2.1 gets released how do I download and install it to my Droid? Cause if I can recall once I root my phone I can no longer get any OTA updates right?
    01-03-10 02:14 AM
    I'm thinking about rooting my droid as well. My question is I'm going to leave it on 2.0.1, but when 2.1 gets released how do I download and install it to my Droid? Cause if I can recall once I root my phone I can no longer get any OTA updates right?
    Actually only custom roms dont have ota updates, but either way, once 2.1 drops, they will leak the update.zip file within a day at most.
    01-03-10 02:34 AM
    Actually only custom roms dont have ota updates, but either way, once 2.1 drops, they will leak the update.zip file within a day at most.

Thanks, so I'm making a turn to the dark side and rooting my droid haha.
    01-03-10 02:40 AM
    I have weighed rooting my droid for some time now. Guess I honestly haven't seen a reason to root yet. That said my phone is getting the 2.1 update. When they stop releasing updates for the moto droid in favor of the next phone I sure will.

There are a few apps that require root but honestly I have so far been lucky enough to find alternatives to them.
    01-07-10 08:27 PM
    what apps require root? I still dont get what rooting does...its not exactly like hacking the iphone, it's different. I just don't get the advantages, I'd be scared to void warranty
    01-07-10 10:57 PM
    actually CynagenMod has an app for OTA updates for HTC phones, especially the Hero.

If you have HTC Hero, you have the most coolest roms avail.

Google xda Developers to get their site.

As for Droids, they are just starting to do interesting things with rooted droids, mostly porting Nexus 2.1 OS to droid.

BUT one of the great things they have just done is turn pretty much every new app/feature from Nexus 2.1 into installable APPS for 2.01 which means you don't need to root to install these apps.

So my advice for DROID owners is you don't really need to root your droid (Yet) because they had those apps avail for free.
    BUT if you would like to Teather and change your boot animation by all means do so. BTW rooting is very easy and simple.

For Hero owners, definitely root!

But ofcourse do your research before changing/moding any system files.

ROOT at your own risk.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by x1208x; 01-07-10 at 11:05 PM.
    01-07-10 11:01 PM
    I regret it. and now im going back to normal with sprint RUU. Rooting is the most completely overrated and pointless thing ever to me. i used fresh1.1 rom great work on it but nothing i need. i put alot of work into getting it all perfect only to have force close errors left and right, the exact same speed, and no extras that i found useful.

The work they put into these roms was incredible but other than a custom boot, i dont see what the big deal is.

this is my opinion. anyone else agree/disagree?
    01-08-10 12:39 AM
    as of right now IMO i dont see any real reason to root at all..there arent any cool roms out yet so why bother? root just to root for the sake of patting yourself on the back and say u rooted it? lol besides 2.1 is coming soon and by the looks of it it is all u need
    01-08-10 03:50 AM
    I gave in and rooted my phone to see if it will fix my wifi problem. It did. I had no trouble before the 2.01 update, after that it screwed me up bad, I can connect to an access point for a random amount of time then the connection stalls. A couple of days ago I decided to go ahead and root and install a custom ROM. Wifi problem fixed and got to play with some of the 2.1 apps on my Droid.
    01-08-10 05:58 PM
    Ok its all user preference about rooting, and there are plenty of advantages to rooting as some of you are stating otherwise. You will not find many of these advantages if you are not an advanced user or just use your phone just as a phone.

I don't want to start listing all the possibilities you have once rooted as it has been discussed over and over on this forum and tons of other forums/blogs/etc.
    01-08-10 07:32 PM
    ok since i only see hero and droid users talking. is it worth rooting a moment ?
    01-08-10 08:04 PM
    Ok its all user preference about rooting, and there are plenty of advantages to rooting as some of you are stating otherwise. You will not find many of these advantages if you are not an advanced user or just use your phone just as a phone.

I don't want to start listing all the possibilities you have once rooted as it has been discussed over and over on this forum and tons of other forums/blogs/etc.
    You must have some beer goggles on and misread. We are speaking from our personal experience and stating why we did, didn't, regret, or have plans to do so in the future.

As the updates come in there is less and less reason to root.
    True that there are still reasons to root ie natvie pinch zoom, or no more updates are coming to your phone, etc. And everyone is welcome to look up the pros and cons of both and that is exactly what we are doing.

The fact is there are also disadvantages to rooting as well. As I stated before that I will be rooting when my phone stops getting updates and my warranty is worthless. I personally will be waiting but in the end I imagine all will do the same after these 2conditions are met.
    01-09-10 01:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD