08-26-19 02:36 PM
    Anyone see this review of the Titan?
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/26/2...price-features
    Hmm, I expected more blatant anti PKB criticism from these guys, but was surprised.
    08-26-19 02:51 PM
    Hmm, I expected more blatant anti PKB criticism from these guys, but was surprised.
    It's not a BlackBerry. That's why.
    RK_BB and i_plod_an_dr_void like this.
    08-26-19 03:16 PM
    Good point.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    08-26-19 03:24 PM
    It's not trying to pass it's self off as a "premium" phone....

"I feel like the price has to be right for someone. Unihertz says the Titan is aimed at “working professionals, outdoor enthusiasts, and QWERTY lovers.” I’m not quite sure its appeal is that broad, given the serious caveats mentioned above. But if you tick all three boxes, it could well be worth thinking about."
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    08-26-19 03:45 PM
    Ha! How ironic isn't it...?
    08-26-19 04:00 PM
    Ha! How ironic isn't it...?
    Not really. The Verge has had a hate on for BlackBerry since BBOS.
    RK_BB and i_plod_an_dr_void like this.
    08-26-19 04:04 PM
    Not really. The Verge has had a hate on for BlackBerry since BBOS.
    Ah... didn't know that!
    08-26-19 04:06 PM
    Exactly!
    08-26-19 04:11 PM
    I have zero plans to get one of these phones. I was surprised the article had such a positive spin on the phone.

Personally I see the Titan as something like a Frankenphone. But I see how some might find it useful.
    08-26-19 04:16 PM
    I hope this is the start of many devices from them. And hopefully they can do a non-heavy duty version that's sleek like the Passport. A Passport running the newest android software has been a dream of many Crackberry users.
    08-26-19 05:24 PM
    In a way, that makes me hopeful.

Hopeful that BBMo's failure was the cause of the toxic brand name more than the PKB.

Sounds like those two aren't necessarily synonymous after all
    08-26-19 05:47 PM
    Makes you wonder what would happen if Samsung or Apple put out a keyboard phone, doesn't it. Not that it will ever happen.

In a way, that makes me hopeful.

Hopeful that BBMo's failure was the cause of the toxic brand name more than the PKB.

Sounds like those two aren't necessarily synonymous after all
    08-26-19 06:23 PM
    Makes you wonder what would happen if Samsung or Apple put out a keyboard phone, doesn't it. Not that it will ever happen.
    With Apple, it won't ever happen. They're hell bent on removing as many buttons as possible in the name of "innovation".

With Samsung, it's unlikely, but it's still a bit more plausible. They have so much cash that starting a mid range PKB line like BBMo did would be like pocket change for them.
    08-26-19 06:25 PM
    With Apple, it won't ever happen. They're hell bent on removing as many buttons as possible in the name of "innovation".

With Samsung, it's unlikely, but it's still a bit more plausible. They have so much cash that starting a mid range PKB line like BBMo did would be like pocket change for them.
    You're seeing where the industry goes with volume scale management. Think external screens and housings with as much standardized as possible. The internal component variable becomes the difference and even that will be a managed perception. The Android OEMs will look to copy as much of the Apple business model as possible without cutting each other's Android OEM throats.

Mass customization of physical components like PKB or VKB size and minimal variations cost too much when added up over units. It's not really any different than BlackBerry VKB and BlackBerry security features. People will accept but only at same cost as competition. In other words, people will only pay as much as the cheapest of the identical spec device in any category.

It's why TCL was looking to PKB as differentiator to begin with. It hoped that either PKB or BBAndroid could be a unique selling point. Even better for both. It seems that neither has enough support to cover the extra cost.
    RK_BB likes this.
    08-26-19 06:38 PM
    Or perhaps giving customers what they want?
    08-26-19 06:39 PM
    You have to remember that if a company like an Apple or Sammy put out a keyboard that was decent it will probably come with great specs and the best support out of all manufactures. They have the power to buy the components cheap where BB/TCL dont have that much power. And they have HUGE name recognition that is not tarnished. So year if they ever did a decent keyboard it would probably sell big numbers and everyone would say "it brings back memories of when BlackBerry was around"
    RK_BB likes this.
    08-26-19 06:42 PM
    Or perhaps giving customers what they want?
    Here we go again.

Yes, sure, the customers REALLY want no headphone jack, almost unfixable glass backs, no expandable storage, no more fingerprint sensors, small batteries.

It's Apple's magical marketing that made them be able to get away with all this.

Who else gets to take away features, charge more, AND keep selling millions of units and carry on as usual?
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-26-19 07:14 PM
    Here we go again.

Yes, sure, the customers REALLY want no headphone jack, almost unfixable glass backs, no expandable storage, no more fingerprint sensors, small batteries.

It's Apple's magical marketing that made them be able to get away with all this.

Who else gets to take away features, charge more, AND keep selling millions of units and carry on as usual?
    I think you have a very narrow viewpoint on what Apple brings to their very loyal customer base. Remember, if it was as bad you state they wouldn’t have survived this long. Stop making it sound like Apple customers are gullible and stupid and it’s all marketing.
    I see people every day walking around with their AirPods. They love them. For those that don’t have them (me) a simple adaptor does the trick.
    As far as glass backs, only a few have them. I had an iPhone X and never had an issue. Perhaps if it peeled off you would find that acceptable.
    I have 512gb of storage plus iCloud. Plenty.
    Face ID is exceptional.
    My battery life is the best on any phone I’ve ever had (iPhone XR).
    Is Apple good at marketing? Probably the best, no doubt about it. They build products that people want, are aesthetically pleasing and that work extremely well. It’s a combination of things which has allowed them to persevere for a long time. You can say you don’t like them or find things to complain about (they’re certainly not perfect) but you can’t argue with their success.
    RK_BB and elfabio80 like this.
    08-26-19 07:31 PM

Samsung had Android based PKB phones. I had a co-worker with one. Samsung's experience and sales history with PKBs is why they did not continue making PKB phones.

Maybe LG will try it since they are trying anything to get people to buy their phones.
    08-26-19 07:43 PM
    CB needs to get their hands on this device and do a review.
    gouger05 and Andrew Poderis like this.
    08-26-19 08:10 PM
    Given the changes Unihertz has made so far (prompted by BB's attack lawyers or otherwise), how representative would this review be of the final device if that ever ships?
    08-27-19 07:50 AM
    CB needs to get their hands on this device and do a review.
    Which device, the prototype that’s no longer happening or the new device that doesn’t exist yet since it’s only been a week or so?
    08-27-19 07:57 AM
    Which device, the prototype that’s no longer happening or the new device that doesn’t exist yet since it’s only been a week or so?
    The one that will be $359 after it exits crowdfunding.
    08-27-19 08:09 AM
    The one that will be $359 after it exits crowdfunding.
    So not the one that started thread link at the beginning.... ?? Whole thread is now become wasted error.... ;-(
    08-27-19 08:11 AM
50 12