I posted a thread last week about a dead pixel on my Droid X. After using the JScreenFix app, the dead pixel was still there. Took the phone to VZW and they said would send a replacement device.

I asked (since my phone is only a week old) if the replacement would be Certified like new...... or actually new. One Rep told me it would be Certified like new.... another told me it would be new.
    The email I received after says Certified like new.

Now I will be seriously pissed to get a certified like new device on a phone that is only a week old.

How can I tell if it is actually new or not ?

VZW said that new will come in it's original boxing with all the accessories (battery, battery cover, cords. etc.)

How can I be sure ?
    08-11-10 05:06 AM
    if it is new it will come just like they said. if it is certified like new, it will just be the phone, no battery or anything.
    08-11-10 07:58 AM
    no there would be a sticker on the box that would say FRU or something like that. look at the dates on the box when you receive it and u should be able to tell.
    08-11-10 09:02 AM
    Well the replacement came. White box and only the phone. No battery. No battery cover. Nothing. So pretty sure they sent me a certified like new. I called Verizon and complained that it is unacceptable to get a like new device for a phone I've only had a week and it came out of the box with a dead pixel. I should get what I paid for....a new device.
    Sure I understand that if this was a device that ive had for six months that I'd get a like new under warranty......but an out of the box defect?
    Even if I give up and go to the incredible i will have to pay a restocking fee now
    08-11-10 01:55 PM
    I would of asked for a new device in the store or had them call me when I new device arrived. I had issues with the screen click on my Storm and they replaced it with a brand new device on the spot as I was within my 30 days. I'm not against Certified Like-New Replacements since they are just as they state. But in the case of this I would demand a new device too.
    08-11-10 03:19 PM
    no there would be a sticker on the box that would say FRU or something like that. look at the dates on the box when you receive it and u should be able to tell.

What date am I looking for.... after FRU there are letters followed by the last three digits....810. does that mean August 10th ? Yesterday ????
    Last edited by Jazz_nh; 08-11-10 at 06:23 PM.
    08-11-10 06:21 PM
    Is there any way to tell ? VZW supervisor is trying to tell me that it could be new. Does the FRU on the box mean Factory Refurbished Unit ??
    Last edited by Jazz_nh; 08-12-10 at 07:15 AM.
    08-12-10 05:48 AM
    called tech support today about the replacement device being refurb. they are placing another order to send a new device.
    So much better service and attitude from tech support vs the customer service idiots at VZW
    08-12-10 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD