So what is the point of rooting? Aside from removing bloatware and installing screen capture apps or customs roms. Is there something else im missing. If I happen not to be into trying custom roms. What benefits can I obtain from rooting?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 09:36 AM
    • Super user control
    • Free wireless tether
    • Performance
    • Full backups

I am sure others will add.
    11-24-10 09:50 AM
    It is the free tether that gets me every time. Does any one know if that can be achieved via secured (password protect the hotspot?)
    11-24-10 09:55 AM
    I bought a Droid X yesterday morning and within 5 hours I rooted and put a ROM on
    that b*tch. Very fast, no ugly bloatware, free wireless tether. Screen shots are
    pretty damn good too.
    11-24-10 12:15 PM
    I did it for the wireless tether. I install custom roms once in a while but I always go back to sense based roms. Full back ups are also very nice.

11-24-10 01:05 PM
    It is the free tether that gets me every time. Does any one know if that can be achieved via secured (password protect the hotspot?)
    Yes, the wireless tether app has encryption that is password protected.
    Doc
    11-24-10 01:15 PM
    I keep thinking about doing it but I just can't imagine losing the things I love about TouchWiz. There's no way I would root my phone unless I saw one first hand that has been, to know if I like the look and feel of it.
    11-24-10 01:30 PM
    I keep thinking about doing it but I just can't imagine losing the things I love about TouchWiz. There's no way I would root my phone unless I saw one first hand that has been, to know if I like the look and feel of it.
    If you keep the same ROM but just root I do not see why UI would change. Please correct me if I am wrong-I have been wrong before.....
    Doc
    11-24-10 01:39 PM
    Why do we root
    Top 10 Reasons To Root Your Android Phone

5 reasons to root your Android, right now.

I'm picking up a MyTouchHD Friday morning. It'll be rooted before i leave the store. / Just Saying. #androidmafia
    Last edited by syb0rg; 11-24-10 at 01:59 PM.
    11-24-10 01:56 PM
    Speed speed and more speed on my X....

Did I mention speed?

Plus all the other stuff people posted.....
    11-24-10 02:57 PM
    Yes, the wireless tether app has encryption that is password protected.
    Doc
    The last time I tried wireless tether I couldn't get it to become secured. have you tried most of them, and if so, what one was the best in your experiance?
    11-24-10 03:16 PM
    The last time I tried wireless tether I couldn't get it to become secured. have you tried most of them, and if so, what one was the best in your experiance?
    Touche; the X does have some code of Kernel problem that doesn't allow for it. A co-worker of mine has the same problem i tried everything and it will not work.
    Johnly likes this.
    11-24-10 03:28 PM
    Touche; the X does have some code of Kernel problem that doesn't allow for it. A co-worker of mine has the same problem i tried everything and it will not work.
    Thanks for confirming that...
    11-24-10 04:24 PM
    *sigh*...can't root with unrEVOked yet... new freakin' EVO...
    11-24-10 04:59 PM
    Tried rooting using z4 root and no luck.

Last edited by WhoolioPreludee; 11-24-10 at 09:42 PM.
    11-24-10 09:34 PM
    Main reason I root is for full backups. It has saved me countless hours of restoring my Droids.

Not to mention, it saves all your Angry Birds scores that you worked so hard to get.
    11-24-10 09:43 PM

Use the droid2 one click method over on xda.
    11-24-10 09:45 PM
    If you keep the same ROM but just root I do not see why UI would change. Please correct me if I am wrong-I have been wrong before.....
    Doc
    No idea how to even change the ROM let alone keep it, I thought rooting got rid of EVERYTHING and took your phone down to base, skinless android.
    11-24-10 09:57 PM
    So say I decide to be daring and root my phone, I'll use Z4 from the Android market just because it seems like the easiest route, I have a few questions about what will happen and what I can expect.

1. Will I lose all of my downloaded apps?
    2. Will I lose any of my media? As some may know the Galaxy S has two SD cards, one removable and one not. I have important stuff on both and the benefits that I know of rooting aren't worth the loss of anything.
    3. I love the TouchWiz UI but mostly I love the layout of everything and have grown quite accustom to the system settings menus and would hate to have that change, so will everything stay the same operation and look-wise?
    4. The widgets I have set up on my home screens, will they stay, or will I have to set them up again?
    5. Is there a way to get 2.2 on it once I root? And if so, apply the update to the questions above as well.

Basically, I really want 2.2, because I want voice activated actions so that I can finally use my BlueAnt S4 the way it was intended, and I'd love to get rid of the bloatware on this dang thing, but losing anything or having even the slightest inconvenience because of it simply isn't worth it to me. I can wait for the update if necessary.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to entertain the above.
    11-24-10 10:23 PM
    Rooting doesn't change the ui/rom one bit, it just gives you or apps access to system files.

It will not delete or remove any pictures, apps, or functions from your device.

On the other hand, loading a custom rom might remove some apps and functionality, it all depends on the particular rom.
    11-24-10 10:38 PM
    Before rooting, make sure you read up on the process copiously. It is a relatively easy thing to accomplish.

Part of the the prep involves backing up your files.

11-24-10 10:49 PM

try using this method. IT's how i rooted a co-workers droid X
    11-25-10 07:34 AM
    1. Will I lose all of my downloaded apps?
    2. Will I lose any of my media? As some may know the Galaxy S has two SD cards, one removable and one not. I have important stuff on both and the benefits that I know of rooting aren't worth the loss of anything.
    3. I love the TouchWiz UI but mostly I love the layout of everything and have grown quite accustom to the system settings menus and would hate to have that change, so will everything stay the same operation and look-wise?
    4. The widgets I have set up on my home screens, will they stay, or will I have to set them up again?
    5. Is there a way to get 2.2 on it once I root? And if so, apply the update to the questions above as well.
    1: if you root and do not wipe or load another ROM, no you will not.
    2: if you root and do not wipe or load another ROM, no you will not. the only way you will lose media on the SD card is if you partition the SD card and reformat it.
    3: Depends on the ROM you use. Some will use the TouchWiz and some will use ADWLauncher.
    4: if you root and do not wipe or load another ROM, they will stay the same.
    5: there are ROM coders out there such as Cyanogen and XDA That have created ROMS for nearly every Android out there. I'm sure someone has 2.2 ported to your phone.

Basically everything depends on you wiping the phone. Which you HAVE to do before updating your ROM to a 2.2 patch. IF you wipe you will have a virgin phone again.
    11-25-10 07:43 AM
    I rooted with the Z4 app flawlessly.

My reasons for rooting are simple: I like being able to change my fonts and mod my lockscreen.

11-25-10 11:50 AM
    That just makes me want to root.
    11-25-10 12:10 PM
118 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD