OK, like many, I am making the jump to Android. I've been with Blackberry for 4 years but I kind of feel like I have the exact same phone I had 4 years ago (4 phones later), just different colors and shapes. Time for something new...Blackberry is simply not keeping up with new technology and I'm tired of the same old thing.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions for those of you who already have the Incredible, since that is the one I am considering.

1. Would you say the keyboard is more similar to the Storm or to an iPhone? My husband has a Storm2 and I cannot type on the thing. However, with an iPhone or iPod Touch, I'm perfectly fine.

2. I've heard a lot of complaints about battery life. Is it so bad that it doesn't last through an entire day (average use for me is one or two quick phone calls home, regularly checking email, Facebook, some texting)? My commute is 65 miles each way so not having a dead phone is kind of important. Yes, I'll buy a car charger anyway, but that's not the point here.

3. Is email instantaneous like it is on Blackberry? I know it shouldn't be a big deal to wait 15-20 minutes for email to come through, but after 4 years of having it instantaneously with BB, kind of hard to give that up. I know you guys definitely understand! I use Gmail but also need access to my student email for college (and don't lecture me about how college students don't need fancy phones...I am 42. ;-))

Thanks in advance!
    06-20-10 01:06 PM
    1) the htc keyboard is really good imo and more similar to the iphone. better than the standard android keyboard.

2) out of the box, stock battery life could be better, but it depends on your use. the inc comes with a puny battery to be honest (it's a 1300mah) so a lot of incredible users end up getting the 1750mah slim extended battery from seidio or they get a 1500mah off the internet somewhere. i have the seidio battery and it's a lot better than stock, no problem making it through the full day with battery to spare.

3) this depends on how your email is setup. if you get your email through exchange and your school or job supports activesync then that will push email to your phone like you get with your blackberry. otherwise you'll need to set up the email app to check your email in increments of every 5 mins or so. of course there's gmail which is also push and you can configure it to retrieve/send email from other accouunts so it's mostly transparent.

good luck!
    06-20-10 01:43 PM
    Thanks...does it sync with Google Calendar as well?
    06-20-10 01:49 PM
    sure does. syncs with google email, contacts, and calendar.

for exchange users on activesync it does the same.
    06-20-10 02:00 PM
    I have found the Incredible keyboard pretty good because you can calibrated it to your touch. The iPhone can't.

I really like the keyboard. You aka have many different replacement keyboard options. One of the best is Swype.

As for battery life, with the stock battery life isn't terrible. Since you'll have a car charger you will make it through the day. You can even by an extended battery that is 2150mah that comes with a new battery door. So its not bad. I had it but didn't like how it made the phone so much bigger. It almost doubles the size of the phone. I do have the slim Seidio extended battery that is 1750mah. Today is the first day of a full charge and I haven't seen a huge improvement, but it does take a week or so for the battery to reach the max capacity.

I had BlackBerry for years and love my Incredible! I haven't even thought of going back to BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 02:19 PM
    1) More like the iPhone. I use the voice recognition 99% of the time, screw typing. Typing is for people who own blackberries!

2) The battery life is a joke. I bought other batteries for it for $5 and finally wound up buying a thick 2600 mah one with a nice back cover.

If you'll spend $200 on a phone, $5 on a spare battery shouldn't be a dealbreaker. Unlike the bb, the incredible takes 50 seconds to boot up, so when you DO need to change the battery, you're not offline for 5 minutes.

Don't waste your time with the seidio battery. You pay $50 for a battery that is about 15% extra capacity(I thought the incredible battery was 1500, not 1200?). Either spend $5 on cheapie batteries and use multiple per day, or get the 2600 mah ones with the larger battery door. I used to carry an original game boy around so the latter doesn't bother me much.

3) If you use gmail, yes. If you use K-9 with IMAP IDLE, yes. If you use HTC mail, no.

push mail is not a blackberry/exchange only thing anymore. Everything can do it.
    Last edited by l.a.rossmann; 06-20-10 at 02:36 PM.
    06-20-10 02:34 PM
    from my experiences, the keyboard on the incredible is more like an iPhone. I had a storm 1 and absolutely loved the keyboard, but I love this keyboard too and I'm getting better at it.

The battery is not that bad, IF you monitor how much life it has and what's all running in the background. you also should turn off thongs like WiFi and Bluetooth when not in use. you don't HAVE to get a new battery.

the mail works fine for me, but its not being used for business. if you absolutely have to have your email right away, I don't know if Android is for you. it takes a couple minutes to get to your phone. but the whole interface works nicely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 09:39 PM
    My battery lasts a day easy. I only do a quick call or 2, but I check mail and message quite a bit. Mine is at 40-50% at the end of a typical day. My mail gets to my phone really fast. Gmail gets to it instantly. Regular POP3 mail is fast enough. I use both. The keyboard is more like an iPhone than a Storm. I had BBs for 3.5 years, I like the Incredible a lot. The browser rocks, and it's fast as all getout.
    06-20-10 09:46 PM
    Thanks so much! This godforsaken Tour has become the bane of my existence...I can't wait to leave it behind.

I can't believe the wait is still 3 weeks on the Incredible. Hope supply catches up with demand by mid-July when I plan to order mine. I'm assuming since that "x" is allegedly going to be out soon that the demand for the Incredible will drop off quite a bit.
    06-20-10 11:01 PM
    The Incredible rips the BB into shreads. I had a Storm 1 project phone (because all of them must have been) and have not looked back! Night and day difference!
    06-21-10 12:05 AM
    Ya Im looking to leave my tour behind as well... cant waittttttttt to upgrade
    06-21-10 02:50 PM
    1) the htc keyboard is really good imo and more similar to the iphone. better than the standard android keyboard.

2) out of the box, stock battery life could be better, but it depends on your use. the inc comes with a puny battery to be honest (it's a 1300mah) so a lot of incredible users end up getting the 1750mah slim extended battery from seidio or they get a 1500mah off the internet somewhere. i have the seidio battery and it's a lot better than stock, no problem making it through the full day with battery to spare.

3) this depends on how your email is setup. if you get your email through exchange and your school or job supports activesync then that will push email to your phone like you get with your blackberry. otherwise you'll need to set up the email app to check your email in increments of every 5 mins or so. of course there's gmail which is also push and you can configure it to retrieve/send email from other accouunts so it's mostly transparent.

good luck!
    Im still waiting on my incredible to get here so I cant answer the last 2 questions but as for the typing why dont you just go to a verizon store and play with the phone a little bit before you buy it instead of asking on here how the typing is? The best way is to test it for yourself!
    06-22-10 05:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD