I got curious regarding the screens used in Android devices. I've heard TFT, AMOLED, Super AMOLED (I think Samsung), etc. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what the more popular devices have and what the pros and cons are.

So to get this thread going I know the Samsung Fascinate will be rocking a Super AMOLED display and the Droid X has a TFT, and the HTC Incredible a (regular?) AMOLED I have seen some quick specs and it seems the Super AMOLED on the Fascinate is supposed to pop with beautiful color compared to the Droid X but the Droid X has more pixels.

pros cons of each?

And a bit off topic but from what I read the iPhone 4 "retina display" blows everything away?
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 07-22-10 at 10:22 PM.
    07-22-10 10:18 PM
    The Super AMOLED screens have the best colors, black levels and white levels. The Droid X has more pixels allowing it to have a 16:9 ratio while the other 800x480 phones have a 5:3 ratio (Don't quote me on this. I'm not 100% sure). Check out this video comparison done by Phil Mickenson over at AC. I hope this helps.
    07-23-10 11:48 AM
    In the past few weeks I have had the N1, Incredible, X, Captivate and iPhone 4. If I had to rank displays from favorite to least favorite it would be:

1 iPhone 4
    2 Capitivate
    3 X
    t-4th Incredible and N1

I don't think anything out there beat that retina display. The capitivate is very close though. It's nice and sharp and very good in sunlight. X is ok in the sunlight and it's pretty good. I wish it was the same of the capitivate for a screen that large. And the Incredible is poor in sunlight unless you turn the screen all the way up but other than that it's pretty sharp but IMO not as good as the others. N1 has the same display as the Incredible.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 07-23-10 at 12:02 PM.
    07-23-10 11:57 AM
    I got curious regarding the screens used in Android devices. I've heard TFT, AMOLED, Super AMOLED (I think Samsung), etc. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what the more popular devices have and what the pros and cons are.

So to get this thread going I know the Samsung Fascinate will be rocking a Super AMOLED display and the Droid X has a TFT, and the HTC Incredible a (regular?) AMOLED I have seen some quick specs and it seems the Super AMOLED on the Fascinate is supposed to pop with beautiful color compared to the Droid X but the Droid X has more pixels.

pros cons of each?

And a bit off topic but from what I read the iPhone 4 "retina display" blows everything away?
    SAMOLED is the nicest looking screen out of all of them. Has the most eye popping colors. It also tend to oversaturate a lot of colors as well. It's a common problem with AMOLEDs. It is also the best AMOLED in the sunlight, but TFT I believe still have better visibility.

AMOLED is very nice as well, but I prefer TFT. The TFT on the X has the most pixels. Everything on the screen looks HD. It is definitely a gorgeous screen, but if you or anyone else ever had a Droid, it is exactly the same just bigger. The screen is also very good with registering touch input.

And yes, the Retina Display is king right now. Honestly, nothing comes close. Some people say they can't notice the difference between the Retina and the SAMOLED with sharpness, but I can pretty easily. It also has superior visibility outdoors.
    07-23-10 12:01 PM
    I wonder, with the screen size of the EVO and DX, will they make a software update in the future, possibly with Gingerbread, to up the resolution because to be honest, having the same or slightly better resolution as the other 800x480 phones in the market with those beautiful 4.3" screens is . . . well . . . a bit disappointing. To me, it's like buying a 24" monitor for your computer and using 1024x768 as your resolution. Don't get me wrong, the resolution is more than satisfactory for me now, but I'm just looking into the future.
    07-23-10 12:22 PM
    Did some searching and came across these three videos that explain it pretty well.

(Retina display vs. Super AMOLED)

This is all pretty interesting. I hope Samsung keeps supporting their Andorid devices a lot. And I'm not sure how I feel about their Touchwiz interface ontop of the Android OS in comparison to HTC Sense and Moto Blur. But can't go wrong if Motorola goes Super AMOLED in their next Android device.

UPDATE: Man this really makes me want to get the Samsung Fascinate. But the fear I have is Touchwiz is the "worst or weakest" of the Android interfaces compared to Moto Blur and HTC Sense. And news of Motorola gonna push out some super 2 Ghz Android phone this holiday season.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 07-23-10 at 02:03 PM.
    07-23-10 01:49 PM
    Did some searching and came across these three videos that explain it pretty well.

(Retina display vs. Super AMOLED)

This is all pretty interesting. I hope Samsung keeps supporting their Andorid devices a lot. And I'm not sure how I feel about their Touchwiz interface ontop of the Android OS in comparison to HTC Sense and Moto Blur. But can't go wrong if Motorola goes Super AMOLED in their next Android device.

UPDATE: Man this really makes me want to get the Samsung Fascinate. But the fear I have is Touchwiz is the "worst or weakest" of the Android interfaces compared to Moto Blur and HTC Sense. And news of Motorola gonna push out some super 2 Ghz Android phone this holiday season.
    In my opinion HTC Sense is the best UI and then stock. Touchwiz is too laggy on the capitvate right now. And even if you use launcherpro or something, touchwiz (like the other UIs) is so heavy intergrated in the OS that you still have performance issues. In my book it's Sense or none. But that's just me.
    07-23-10 02:40 PM
    We've got a MotoDroid, HTC Inc, and MotoX in the family now. Honestly all 3 screens are excellent, the latter 2 maybe a bit better than the Droid. I really depends what you're looking at. If it's a good image it looks excellent. The Incred is real hard to see in sunlight, as many will tell you. If you shade it then it's readable outdoors. The bigger X makes your eyes think it looks better (cause its bigger).
    07-23-10 06:12 PM
    let me google that for you......J/K
    07-23-10 06:33 PM
    http://www.androidcentral.com/multim...-amoled-vs-lcd

I think this pretty much settles this discussion.
    07-26-10 10:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD