Answer : Android

A new report from Canalys shows that Android grew an impressive 886% in Q2 2010 and became the largest smartphone platform in the United States. The U.S. smartphone market grew 41% year over year and it is the largest in the world. Approximately 14.7 million smartphone units were sold in the U.S., which accounts for 23% of the global market.

Canalys VP and Principal Analyst, Chris Jones, explained the results by saying, �In the United States, for example, we have seen the largest carrier, Verizon Wireless, heavily promoting high-profile Android devices, such as the Droid by Motorola and the Droid Incredible by HTC. These products have been well received by the market, with consumers eager to download and engage with mobile applications and services, such as Internet browsing, social networking, games and navigation.�

As we enter the second half of the year, Android will continue to gain momentum and expectations will continue to rise. Samsung still hopes to double their smartphone sales, Motorola predicts they will ship 12-14 million units this year, and HTC will continue to record record profits.
    Q2 report: Android largest smartphone platform in U.S. – Android and Me
    Last edited by mjneid; 08-02-10 at 12:15 PM.
    08-02-10 12:04 PM
    This shouldn't be surprising...I mean look at how many Android phones are out on the market.
    08-02-10 12:37 PM
    This is going to get moved to the Android section. This shouldn't have been posted here (Android news, not BB). Incoming pissed off BB fanboys.
    08-02-10 12:42 PM
    I'm actually quite sure that Android is the leader,
    but I need to quote this

sales don't mean jack squat ... look @ Toyota - the number one selling car in America.... yea we remember what happened there....
    the reason being that report is purely based on sales, and not active users.
    they are numbers of units shipped,

And as Avt123 said, this isn't BB news but Android news,
    When you posted this what was your desired response from this thread?
    08-02-10 12:55 PM
    I'm actually quite sure that Android is the leader,
    but I need to quote this
    the reason being that report is purely based on sales, and not active users.
    they are numbers of units shipped,
    And as Avt123 said, this isn't BB news but Android news,
    When you posted this what was your desired response from this thread?
    Do the math ..... if every 886 of every 1000 new smart phones in the USA are Android phones. That leaves 114 Phones for RIM, Apple and WebOS.

come one be real. RIM and Nokia are the two largest Smart Phone manufactures on the planet. and 8.8 out of every new cell phone is Android.

and i still stand by my statement. Sales don't mean jack crap.... growth on the other hand is totally different. Sales = maintained clients or new clients and Growth = new clients, and clients that were on other platforms.

and when a phone grows at a rate 886%, you're doing something right and snuffing out the weaker links.
    Last edited by mjneid; 08-02-10 at 01:17 PM.
    08-02-10 01:14 PM
    Android, google, and most touchscreen phones get marketed like crazy. They spend millions and millions of dollars on advertising and marketing. They also have how many (?) phones running android? Its not like there are 4 or 5 DIFFERENT hardware/device companies running BB OS.... Do the math. Of course you're going to outsell everyone when you FLOOD and oversaturate the market.
    08-02-10 01:33 PM
    Is anyone going to correct the math in this post?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-10 01:36 PM
    Do the math ..... if every 886 of every 1000 new smart phones in the USA are Android phones. That leaves 114 Phones for RIM, Apple and WebOS.

come one be real. RIM and Nokia are the two largest Smart Phone manufactures on the planet. and 8.8 out of every new cell phone is Android.

and i still stand by my statement. Sales don't mean jack crap.... growth on the other hand is totally different. Sales = maintained clients or new clients and Growth = new clients, and clients that were on other platforms.

and when a phone grows at a rate 886%, you're doing something right and snuffing out the weaker links.

FIRST! LMAO!

Secondly
    where the heck did you get "if every 886 of every 1000 new smart phones in the USA are Android phones"

PLEASE don't tell me to do the math when basic math and research skills elude you.
    Lets say RIM sold ONLY 1,000,000 units in the US this quarter and Apple ONLY sold 700,000 units this Quarter Both are lower than actual numbers.

that would mean Android phones sold 12,900,000 phones
    BUT we know factually that Android has yet to ship 1,000,000 units in the US.
    Last edited by deRusett; 08-02-10 at 01:55 PM. Reason: word catcher got me!! sub in HECK
    08-02-10 01:45 PM
    Thank you. I was stunned by that too. Funniest post of the day.

08-02-10 01:48 PM
    Thank you. I was stunned by that too. Funniest post of the day.

I felt a little bad doing it,
    it was a little David and Goliath witt battle.
    but David only had marshmellows for his slingshot
    08-02-10 03:09 PM
    Android buy a long shot. They have the most advanced phones out at the moment

08-02-10 03:18 PM
    Android buy a long shot. They have the most advanced phones out at the moment
    Thats weird, I didn't know Android actually made phones...
    08-02-10 03:24 PM

I'm so confused.
    Are you to tell me that out of the 10 smart phones in my class, 3 being iPhones and 5 being Blackberrys, there are still 64 Android phones in other classes with no Blackberrys and iPhones?..

Enlighten me.

08-02-10 03:51 PM

You really need to take a math class.
    08-02-10 04:42 PM
    I'm just wondering what's the point of the thread?
    08-02-10 04:47 PM
    It's to show math skills. I dont know, maybe its originally intended to state how fast the Android market has grown.
    08-02-10 05:13 PM

Let's just hope you are not a native Ohioan.
    08-02-10 05:14 PM
    Fanboy with faulty info trying to provoke others.

08-02-10 05:25 PM
    It was at first posted in the BB News and rumours, with what is assumed as malicious intent, though when asked what was the goal of the thread, it was never answered.

Many other threads have popped up with this same information, people want to say RIM is going to wither away, and every chance they can, they post info in the hopes it will help them argue why we shouldn't buy blackberry's
    08-02-10 06:51 PM
    It was at first posted in the BB News and rumours, with what is assumed as malicious intent, though when asked what was the goal of the thread, it was never answered.

Many other threads have popped up with this same information, people want to say RIM is going to wither away, and every chance they can, they post info in the hopes it will help them argue why we shouldn't buy blackberry's
    Oh that was really gonna get some stuff started lol. I think some people do that just to get a flame session going.
    08-02-10 07:06 PM
    This is the perfect example of someone looking for sh*t with BB users for no reasons. Why post here something like that? Do I look to create trouble in the droid world? NO!
    First, how do you compare an OS(Droid) to a Brand(Iphone, RIM)?
    Second, those numbers don't mean a thing.
    We are talking about sales during the second quarter... lol
    Droid platform came with all those new phone during the first 6 months, EVO and such...
    Apple came out with the new iPhone at the end of this, and we all know RIM comes out with new phones in the fall.
    Therefore we can't compare at all.
    Yes, Droid is gaining ground, RIM lost some market share, but let's look at the real deal here. I hate when people manipulate numbers to make them look like they want.
    08-02-10 07:19 PM
    smh yes android is gaining ground, no they dont make there own cell phones but they did say they were gonna start. u gotta remember that android is still growing so there is no need to shout out how they have alot of phones on the market. manufacturer choose android on there phones just because they know its gonna sell. im not stating that blackberry is bad but they just need to step up there phone specs. (and yes i did have a blackberry, i had about 9 of them) thats the main reason why i left blackberry. if blackberry actually spend money for more ads, revamp that stale OS so it could run on older bberry model phones, then they would sell more.
    Last edited by Retrokid223; 08-02-10 at 08:41 PM.
    08-02-10 08:37 PM
    smh yes android is gaining ground, no they dont make there own cell phones but they did say they were gonna start. u gotta remember that android is still growing so there is no need to shout out how they have alot of phones on the market. manufacturer choose android on there phones just because they know its gonna sell. im not stating that blackberry is bad but they just need to step up there phone specs. (and yes i did have a blackberry, i had about 9 of them) thats the main reason why i left blackberry. if blackberry actually spend money for more ads, revamp that stale OS so it could run on older bberry model phones, then they would sell more.

that would actually cause them to sell LESS,
    by making BBOS6 run on older phones people just upgrade the OS, and RIM makes no new money, RIM makes the same money if the user Stays with the old device as they do if they Buy another platform device, actually if OS6 is really as good as we hope it will be, they make more money by the person jumping ship, because they then have to buy a BB full price when the user wants back to the BB platform because they regret moving,

Which many long time BB users do, because they realize they miss the keyboard input method.

If you don't do apps, or surf the web on your phone, the BBOS is fantastic!
    08-02-10 09:39 PM
    that would actually cause them to sell LESS,
    by making BBOS6 run on older phones people just upgrade the OS, and RIM makes no new money, RIM makes the same money if the user Stays with the old device as they do if they Buy another platform device, actually if OS6 is really as good as we hope it will be, they make more money by the person jumping ship, because they then have to buy a BB full price when the user wants back to the BB platform because they regret moving,

Which many long time BB users do, because they realize they miss the keyboard input method.

If you don't do apps, or surf the web on your phone, the BBOS is fantastic!
    ur right blackberry os is good for just email.. but when i say revamp there os i mean they need to let OS6 go on model phones that people have now that are stuck with a 2yr contract and still have the same os features. look at the storm 2 the mac daddy touch screen blackberry prob dont even get OS 6 from what im reading because lack of memory. people are furious because they are forced to spend full retail price on a newer blackberry because they are stuck in a 2yr contract, thats a bad image for blackberry in my opinion because they look like a company that release phones every fall, but then a couple months later the phone cant get the newest updates. which is why many bberry users just jumped shipped to android, some go back to bberry some dont but the people who dont, love android and all its glory (and no im not trying to start a war lmfao)
    Last edited by Retrokid223; 08-02-10 at 10:41 PM.
    08-02-10 10:37 PM
    all those numbers actually good for us BB lovers, this will make RIM to build better devices, as always comparison forces better quality and prices.
    08-03-10 12:43 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD