I am geezer by the standards of most here, so cut me some slack about my question.

I was looking at the Nexus on the Google/phone page. Does anyone know if I can get push email ?

Most people in my company use BB but I am not a big fan of the BB. I would like something like the Nexus if I can get the push email.
    01-05-10 08:57 PM
    If your company uses Microsoft exchange for the email server you can get push mail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 10:41 PM
    The Motorola Droid Currently offers push email via gmail. I find it to be as fast as Blackberry BIS. I also have a Mobile Me account that is fairly quick in real time as well. For some odd reason, the Yahoo mail account is the only one with a slight delay - 5 minutes ! It's ironic because on the iPhone, the Yahoo mail is push enabled and is in real time - go figure?
    01-06-10 12:38 AM
    This is a wonderful question, something i've been wondering as well. Here are a few detailed questions... I'd appreciate any assistance.

1) Do I need to be always signed into my gmail account to be notified of new emails? (this would not be a problem since I am a heavy gmail user, but just asking)

2) Will I need a special google or gmail account for this push notification to work or will my free gmail account suffice?

3) Will the Nexus One ring or vibrate when a new message arrives?

4) Will there be a lag as to when I am notified of my message? If so, how much of a lag? seconds? minutes?

Thanks for reading and please weigh in.
    01-06-10 01:52 AM
    This is a wonderful question, something i've been wondering as well. Here are a few detailed questions... I'd appreciate any assistance.

1) Do I need to be always signed into my gmail account to be notified of new emails? (this would not be a problem since I am a heavy gmail user, but just asking)

2) Will I need a special google or gmail account for this push notification to work or will my free gmail account suffice?

3) Will the Nexus One ring or vibrate when a new message arrives?

4) Will there be a lag as to when I am notified of my message? If so, how much of a lag? seconds? minutes?

Thanks for reading and please weigh in.
    1. Once the account the is set up & initialized, you can adjust how you are notified of incoming messages etc.

2. The basic Gmail account works just fine on the Android operating system.

3. I am not familiar with the Nexus One but I'm sure you can download a user manual to check specific questions about settings. With respect to the Motorola Droid, yes, you can have the device ring and/or vibrate when new messages arrive.

4. I have several email accounts set up on my Motorola Droid. When talking about push email or messages that are delivered to your handset in real time, the Gmail works fine without any issues. I also have a Mobile Me account that works great as well.
    01-06-10 05:03 AM
    To the OP I have a MOTO Droid running 2.1 OS. Gmail is push and quick. As it relates to your exchange server yes and no. It depends on the type of Exchange server. For example I work in Indiana's largest Healthcare Org. and my droid will NOT connect to the exchange server due to encryption and authentication methods. By using an app from Touchdown I can access my exchange acct. because it has a pin assigned to it and remote wipe etc...check with your organization before you purchase the device.
    01-06-10 08:18 AM
    Thanks for this thread and the responses. I'm a Blackberry Bold 9000 owner who's become excited about the Nexus One and these kinds of questions and answers are extremely helpful. Can't believe I'm ready to jump from Blackberry but this Nexus One seems slick.
    01-06-10 08:43 AM
    yeah, if you want to connect to an exchange server at work, check with your IT people and see if they support ActiveSync and if they use security policies. The default mail app doesn't work with ActiveSync policies so you'd need to get the Touchdown app as stated above. And if your company doesn't use BES, you will get to laugh at your coworkers when there's a RIM outage and they're not getting emails but yours are coming in fine. lol
    01-06-10 09:13 AM
    Thanks for this thread and the responses. I'm a Blackberry Bold 9000 owner who's become excited about the Nexus One and these kinds of questions and answers are extremely helpful. Can't believe I'm ready to jump from Blackberry but this Nexus One seems slick.
    There is nothing wrong with leaving BlackBerry world. You go to a device that suits you best.
    01-06-10 09:40 AM
    yeah, if you want to connect to an exchange server at work, check with your IT people and see if they support ActiveSync and if they use security policies. The default mail app doesn't work with ActiveSync policies so you'd need to get the Touchdown app as stated above. And if your company doesn't use BES, you will get to laugh at your coworkers when there's a RIM outage and they're not getting emails but yours are coming in fine. lol
    My thanks all of you for the information. I will be checking with the IT people in the next few days.
    01-06-10 10:39 AM
    I have a Gmail account, a live.com e-mail account, and a Roadrunner(rr.com) e-mail account. Is there a way to push all of them through my G-mail account, and if so, how(in detail please)? TIA!
    01-06-10 01:05 PM
    You would be better off using k9mail, and setting your accounts to use IMAP. If they are POP, you are SOL.

k9mail will allow push via IMAP IDLE.

There is mal2web as well, but I don't know how well it would work with Android. Works well with winmo.
    01-06-10 01:21 PM
    I have a Gmail account, a live.com e-mail account, and a Roadrunner(rr.com) e-mail account. Is there a way to push all of them through my G-mail account, and if so, how(in detail please)? TIA!
    Mail Fetcher - Gmail Help
    01-06-10 01:39 PM
    You would be better off using k9mail, and setting your accounts to use IMAP. If they are POP, you are SOL.

There is mal2web as well, but I don't know how well it would work with Android. Works well with winmo.
    GMAIL can retrieve your other email pop3 or otherwise.

01-06-10 01:40 PM

Yep, but not as PUSH. I read the title of the thread. Did you? As this was a thread about Push, I tailored my response accordingly. By the way, the Google mail fetcher does not work for IMAP accounts.

Setting up Mail Fetcher is easy and free, but the email accounts you'd like to fetch from must support POP access and, in the case of Gmail addresses, have POP access enabled.
    Get mail from other accounts - Gmail Help
    Last edited by adrynalyne; 01-06-10 at 03:31 PM.
    01-06-10 03:22 PM

Just quoting you......you said he is SOL not me.....
    01-06-10 08:56 PM
    I meant in regards to Push. Sorry if I did not clarify. We all mistakes. Kind of like you saying the mail fetcher could check any account, when indeed, its only POP accounts:

01-06-10 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD