I wonder how VZW's network is going to handle the onslaught of new activations and the huge amount of increased traffic.

Does anyone know if they have prepared for this? This could cause potential problems or maybe I'm wrong?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 11:51 AM
    I think VZ's network will be fine. They are always working on their network from what I have learned on this site. VZ pays more than lip service. A great deal of VZ's revenue goes to their network. They spend more on it than they do advertising.
    11-01-09 11:53 AM
    Yeah , verizon has the largest network , and actually my buddy that works for them (installing towers) says that they have upgraded many towers for the year of phones ahead. so i would say no worries be happy , your on the verizon network
    11-01-09 11:57 AM
    This is Verizon we're talking about, no worries about the network. You could have Iphone 3GS, DROID, Palm Pre at the same time and there would be no problem.

Yes i know Iphone and Palm Pre are not CDMA.(YET)
    11-01-09 11:57 AM
    I don't see any major concerns with Vzw network at this point.
    11-01-09 12:01 PM
    VZW network is far better than at&t's so you wont be seeing any problems like they have with the iphone.
    11-01-09 12:03 PM
    I wonder how VZW's network is going to handle the onslaught of new activations and the huge amount of increased traffic.

Does anyone know if they have prepared for this? This could cause potential problems or maybe I'm wrong?

The Network will be fine, but I'm not sure why you feel there will be an onslaught of new activations. I work in a Police Dept with 300+ members and a lot of them gadget geeks, and I haven't heard a single person talk about this phone. I think its much bigger on blogs than it is in real life. The only phone that made anyone care about what they were lugging around in their pocket was the Iphone, when that was announced, everyone wanted to see it or know more about it. As far as the majority of consumers are concerned, that is the only phone that matters.

This phone will do well, but VZW isn't going to get a ton of defections for it. They're going to be getting their own customers to switch phones for it. They'll make money on the docking and car stations and their plan prices. This phone is not going to be an iphone killer, I'm not sure its going to do much more than tickle Apples feet. Too many people are unclear about Android as it is, and would rather stick to what they know. In time that will change, but VZW isn't going to add 20M people like AT&T did with the iphone (yea yea exaggeration).
    11-01-09 12:07 PM
    Yep none really knows about this phone or the s2. Just bloggers maybe a few others

11-01-09 12:33 PM
    I work in an office of 30 social workers most of whom are women. They have no interest in gadgets and wouldn't know a blackberry from a blueberry, but two of them have heard of the Droid and are going to get one.
    11-01-09 01:29 PM
    I work in an office of 30 social workers most of whom are women. They have no interest in gadgets and wouldn't know a blackberry from a blueberry, but two of them have heard of the Droid and are going to get one.
    thats odd......they must have a TV and get out of the house I'm guessing?

11-01-09 01:30 PM
    yeah, a lot of people on here and on other sites stated that no one knew about the storm 1 last year...however, it sold pretty well on release day...in fact, I had to stand in line for one and then when I actually was able to purchase the phone, verizon was having issues with activation since their system was bogged down with the massive activations...I was in the verizon store all day, in fact I left the store to go to DMV, then came back and my storm still wasn't activated; it was not a pleasurable experience...also, after the 1st weekend of release, I believe the storm wasn't available for purchase until december...so, to say that no one knows about the Droid except for people like us or that it won't get crazy on release day is ridiculous....I just hope that the release day is nothing like what I experienced with the Storm...
    11-01-09 01:38 PM
    yeah, a lot of people on here and on other sites stated that no one knew about the storm 1 last year...however, it sold pretty well on release day...in fact, I had to stand in line for one and then when I actually was able to purchase the phone, verizon was having issues with activation since their system was bogged down with the massive activations...I was in the verizon store all day, in fact I left the store to go to DMV, then came back and my storm still wasn't activated; it was not a pleasurable experience...also, after the 1st weekend of release, I believe the storm wasn't available for purchase until december...so, to say that no one knows about the Droid except for people like us or that it won't get crazy on release day is ridiculous....I just hope that the release day is nothing like what I experienced with the Storm...
    Ummmmmm expect it to be worse
    11-01-09 01:40 PM
    @trendy, lol...I will probably order the phone through telesales, I THINK I can wait a couple of days to get it this time
    11-01-09 01:53 PM
    You guys crack me up. This phone hasn't even been put through the tech geek wringer yet. I remember when the Storm was going to be the next best thing since sliced bread, that sure didn't pan out.
    11-01-09 01:59 PM
    yeah, I remember that too, ErDude...the storm was crap but all of the reviews did say that it was crap but people still rushed to the VZW store and bought it...it's a little different with the Droid though, the reviews have been pretty positive and yes it has flaws as well and everyone will find that out too...but this thread is about if it will be crazy on release day, not if the phone will be any good or not...
    11-01-09 02:06 PM
    moni19 I'm sure it will be crazy release day. Verizon is opening all their stores at 6AM in anticipation of all Droid Fans showing up. Can their network handle it, probably, can their activation systems handle it is another question.

I guess I'll be seeing you guys over at forum.androidcentral.com
    11-01-09 02:08 PM
    @ERdude, I haven't signed up for androidcentral yet, but cannot wait to do so...but I think it will be crazy too, vzw stores opened early last year for the Storm as well and it was still crazy, i just hope it will be a better experience than last year...I literally spent 7 hours at the verizon store, not good...that's why i'm thinking of just ordering the phone through telesales..that means i will have to wait a couple of days to get it, ugh...
    11-01-09 02:14 PM
    I'm not looking forward to working sigh.

11-01-09 02:22 PM
    Fyi palm pre is a CDMA device all ready..the network will b fine. No waiting 3 year for MMS to work.

11-01-09 02:22 PM
    @trendy, lol...I will probably order the phone through telesales, I THINK I can wait a couple of days to get it this time
    I asked a friend of mine I saw today who works for VZ to hold one for me.
    So I may take Fri off to go in and get it. I will bring my walking stick and do a fake hobble maybe the youngsters will let go ahead of the line.
    So thee stores are opening at 6:am huh wow............
    11-01-09 02:27 PM
    I just hope each store gets more then 3 devices . I hope it doesn't turn into the S1 launch.

11-01-09 02:30 PM
    @ERdude, I haven't signed up for androidcentral yet, but cannot wait to do so...but I think it will be crazy too, vzw stores opened early last year for the Storm as well and it was still crazy, i just hope it will be a better experience than last year...I literally spent 7 hours at the verizon store, not good...that's why i'm thinking of just ordering the phone through telesales..that means i will have to wait a couple of days to get it, ugh...
    Dont rule out Best Buy, they honor instant rebates. I had no problem getting my S1 the day it launched. I think they even had it available early.
    11-01-09 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD