All I know is that this Astro Slide is still going to be launched, which means one more PKB option. That's good news enough for me.
    Right, and Linux support can also be a great feature if they manage to port all the drivers (camera, 4g/5g modem, wi-fi, bluetooth....)

Posted via CB10
    01-14-21 08:21 AM
    01-15-21 10:12 AM
    Also note that the width is increased with almost 1cm, the thickness with almost 20%, and the screen is slightly less.
    But still it is good with variety. And hopefully the extra thickness is used to stabilise the sliding mechanism, the first attempts seemed to be so feeble that even the inventor struggled to open and close it in his original video.
    Trouveur likes this.
    01-15-21 05:43 PM
    Can you really trust a device with a Mediatek CPU? (Honest question.)
    01-16-21 01:55 AM
    Can you really trust a device with a Mediatek CPU? (Honest question.)
    Define "trust" in this context... In reality for most users the chipset won't really matter for their daily usage,
    And I expect that the mediocre chipset might be more than enough for most users usage.

So unless you want to have alternative OS's on it, I doubt it really will be an issue.
    01-16-21 03:51 AM
    Define "trust" in this context... In reality for most users the chipset won't really matter for their daily usage,
    And I expect that the mediocre chipset might be more than enough for most users usage.

So unless you want to have alternative OS's on it, I doubt it really will be an issue.
    I meant from a security perspective.
    01-16-21 03:58 PM
    I don't know if there have been serious investigations regarding Mediatek chip security ?

Posted via CB10
    01-17-21 04:09 AM
    I don't know if there have been serious investigations regarding Mediatek chip security ?

Posted via CB10
    Investigations... no, as they generally aren't used in most western devices other than budget phones. China and Inida are key markets for MediaTek chips in phones.

They do get some testing, as some of Android's security patches are Mediatek specific.

Most the issues aren't with the chipset but in the firmware, drivers or apps that OEM have chosen to support those chips. Adups was an issue from a few years ago.... no recent info I know of any security or privacy issues. But trust is hard to win back...

Google and QUALCOMM worked on a number of security features to make Android more safe - like processor security keys (no BlackBerry didn't invent that). Really don't know much about security features with Mediatek chips.

Again one of the main reasons the researchers don't view them as safe... they have mostly have been used in cheaper phones that don't get updates for the firmware or the OS. So when problems are found, they never get patched.

Really would need to look at Planet Computers update history....
    EskeRahn likes this.
    01-20-21 01:41 PM
    Planet Computer will make a presentation of the device in a few days (January, 19) and will also handle a Q/A session with backers.
    The most disappointing news is that they were not able to license the Mediatek Dimensity 1000 CPU, so they decided to switch to the Dimensity 800 (which is clearly inferior), I think any other CPU would have required some hardware redesign... but definitively not a good news, even if the phone is still quite interesting...

Posted via CB10
    Dimensity 800 is in the same league than S765, so it's still a powerful CPU.

On the good side, D800 have a battery save mod than D1000 doesn't have, so battery life should be better with it.
    01-22-21 06:06 AM
    Wonder if it was access, or just budget?

The 800 should allow the phone to be much cheaper....
    They also increased the RAM from 6 to 8.
    01-22-21 06:12 AM
    Dimensity 800 is in the same league than S765, so it's still a powerful CPU.

On the good side, D800 have a battery save mod than D1000 doesn't have, so battery life should be better with it.
    Yes, way enough CPU power to handle the vast majority of the tasks.
    My main concern now, after having watched the videos, is the hinge : we never see it in action, it feels unfinished, even on the newly released press kit.

Posted via CB10
    EskeRahn and Trouveur like this.
    01-22-21 08:51 AM
    Yes, way enough CPU power to handle the vast majority of the tasks.
    My main concern now, after having watched the videos, is the hinge : we never see it in action, it feels unfinished, even on the newly released press kit.

Posted via CB10
    Oh I agree it will be enough.... just like the SD625 was "enough" in 2017.

It's just went you put down your money thinking it's going to be a D1000 and a year later they switch is to a D800 and still it's eight months out, that's kind of a bait and switch that has a lot of buyers asking for refunds. When your dealing with a niche product that only going to move 5K- 10K units., that is an issue. Sure new "supporters" will know going in what they are paying for... but my guess is most those buying this phone, had already committed to it.

It's better if they had not said anything about the finial specs last year.... OM is wise to say nothing, rather then have to change something later.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    01-22-21 09:22 AM
    Oh I agree it will be enough.... just like the SD625 was "enough" in 2017.

It's just went you put down your money thinking it's going to be a D1000 and a year later they switch is to a D800 and still it's eight months out, that's kind of a bait and switch that has a lot of buyers asking for refunds. When your dealing with a niche product that only going to move 5K- 10K units., that is an issue. Sure new "supporters" will know going in what they are paying for... but my guess is most those buying this phone, had already committed to it.

It's better if they had not said anything about the finial specs last year.... OM is wise to say nothing, rather then have to change something later.
    But Indiegogo is not a place where you buy products. You just help to make the dream happen. A perk is simply a reward and if I agree with you that PC probably teased too much last year, and they told about specifications they were not sure about, the reality is different and I'm having an hard time understanding people wanting a refund. In the comments they always use the verb "buy", but they did not buyed anything at all.
    That's why I'm more resilient to those changes because between the initial vision, and the reality, there is a gap, and I accept it, as a backer.

Posted via CB10
    EskeRahn likes this.
    01-22-21 02:57 PM
    But Indiegogo is not a place where you buy products. You just help to make the dream happen. A perk is simply a reward and if I agree with you that PC probably teased too much last year, and they told about specifications they were not sure about, the reality is different and I'm having an hard time understanding people wanting a refund. In the comments they always use the verb "buy", but they did not buyed anything at all.
    That's why I'm more resilient to those changes because between the initial vision, and the reality, there is a gap, and I accept it, as a backer.

Posted via CB10
    You put in a credit card number and they run it.... seems as if you are buying it.
    01-22-21 03:29 PM
    But...
    Attached Thumbnails Planet Computers NEW Astro Slide (for Indegogo backing)-img_20210122_223458.jpg  
    EskeRahn likes this.
    01-22-21 03:40 PM
    But...
    What guarantees the company still has the money to issue a refund or delivers a product after that date?
    01-22-21 04:44 PM
    What guarantees the company still has the money to issue a refund or delivers a product after that date?
    In short absolutely nothing. It is crowdfunding....

Even if they could refund, there is ZERO guarantees that they will refund any payments fully or partly.
    As it says in large letters in the screen dump @guizmax provided, Crowdfunding is not shopping

And the company could fold at any time with money spent.

It is totally up to us as backers if we want to take the risk of backing or not. See backing as "micro-investments". The difference from normal investments is that if the project succeeds our reward is not cool cash, but a product usually at a 'reduced' price. There is a time-limited added security for the backer, that we can regret until a deadline, and that if the minimum investment limit is not reached at the deadline we get refunded.
    guizmox likes this.
    01-23-21 03:35 AM
    In short absolutely nothing. It is crowdfunding....

Even if they could refund, there is ZERO guarantees that they will refund any payments fully or partly.
    As it says in large letters in the screen dump @guizmax provided, Crowdfunding is not shopping

And the company could fold at any time with money spent.

It is totally up to us as backers if we want to take the risk of backing or not. See backing as "micro-investments". The difference from normal investments is that if the project succeeds our reward is not cool cash, but a product usually at a 'reduced' price. There is a time-limited added security for the backer, that we can regret until a deadline, and that if the minimum investment limit is not reached at the deadline we get refunded.
    Well in that case I'd feel more comfortable risking Unihertz kind of money ($200 - $350) than Planet / F(x) Tec which is usually $600 and up.
    01-23-21 06:48 PM
    Well in that case I'd feel more comfortable risking Unihertz kind of money ($200 - $350) than Planet / F(x) Tec which is usually $600 and up.
    Indeed you could choose to do that. Or you could wait for the projects going beyond the crowdfunding stage, and buy a specimen of either regularly (at a higher price than the crowdfunding perks)

Like investing in stock, each will have to do their own risk assessments, there are no certain answers. All we can do are to look at the track-record of those involved, and hope we can deduce something sensible from that.
    01-23-21 06:55 PM
    Big advantage with Unihertz, is they don't drag things out for years and years.... If that Astro Slide had been delivered within six months of the initial crowdfunding stage, it would have been much more "flagshipish". After 18 moths and a processor down grade, it's not nearly as special as it was back in early 2020.

The Dimensity 1100/1200 just got announced, many are asking Planet to offer one of those, and Planet has stated they are looking into it. But chipsets aren't just pop in a new CPU.... I suspect a change would add another delay.
    01-25-21 08:58 AM
    But chipsets aren't just pop in a new CPU.... I suspect a change would add another delay.
    Indeed especially if they got something certified, they can not just change the mainboard completely. And new certifications are very costly per unit for lo-volume devices.

And these keyboard devices are so much of a niche-product that we can not expect the companies to have the attention of the chip-makers, so we can only expect mid-range or 'yesteryears' top-range. Unless by some lucky chance the chipmaker has a CEO with a keen interest in keyboard devices....
    01-26-21 09:07 AM
    Indeed especially if they got something certified, they can not just change the mainboard completely. And new certifications are very costly per unit for lo-volume devices.

And these keyboard devices are so much of a niche-product that we can not expect the companies to have the attention of the chip-makers, so we can only expect mid-range or 'yesteryears' top-range. Unless by some lucky chance the chipmaker has a CEO with a keen interest in keyboard devices....
    Chipmakers only care about orders....

Planet Computers most likely never placed an actual order, just got some preliminary pricing..... but a year later it seems that varriant of the 1000 isn't in production, and that MediaTek has moved on to newer lines (more costly I imagine). The D800 is probable what fits their budget at this point.

My guess is they are waiting to see what kind of flax they get before proceeding with production, along with testing and certification. If 5% cancel that's no big deal, if 25% cancel... they might need to adjust production levels.
    01-26-21 09:16 AM
    Chipmakers only care about orders....
    Indeed, but they might not want to 'waste' their time on a small order, if they can please a larger customer.
    They might also want to reserve their best products to their best customers.
    01-26-21 09:30 AM
    Last update showed a T1 prototype in a video.

Estimated delivery date is now august.
    07-11-21 08:39 AM
    Last update showed a T1 prototype in a video.

Estimated delivery date is now august.
    If all goes well, the Astro Slide, F(x) Tec Pro 1-X and Titan Pocket should all be available by September.
    07-11-21 11:27 AM
179 1234 ...