Maybe someone can help me find the thread....

I (thought I) was reading (here or another droid forum site) that you can download the keyboard software from some HTC device (don't remember which one) to the Droid and it works great for auto correct/predictive typing on the PHYSICAL keyboard.

Maybe I was dreaming?

Can anyone help with me find this again?
    Last edited by hal1; 12-02-09 at 09:45 PM.
    12-02-09 09:33 PM
    Maybe someone can help me find the thread....

I (thought I) was reading (here or another droid forum site) that you can download the keyboard software from some HTC device (don't remember which one) to the Droid and it works great for auto correct/predictive typing on the PHYSICAL keyboard.

Maybe I was dreaming?

Can anyone help with me find this again?
    Did you search the store?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 10:00 PM
    FOUND IT. Don't know if it works, but maybe someone can let me know...Here's the link to the full thread.. and the thread content

You want predictive text wth physical keyboard here is how you do it. You are welcome - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Download this file: http://www.mediafire.com/htckeyboard

Connect your droid to your pc via usb then mount your droid. Open your or explore your droid's sd card via pc.

Cut or copy the two files from your pc into the droids sd card.

Disconnect the droid from the computer after the files have been moved.

Now go the market and find you a good file manager. I use astro file manager.

After you have installed Astro file manager open your file manager, have your file manager look into your sd card. Astro sometimes will open looking into your sd card by default. The main point is to find the two files that you just moved into your sd card. Look for the Clicker file and the HTC_IME2 file. just find the files now for verification.

After you have located the files click or select the HTC_IME2 file first. A box might pop up and if it does select open app manager. Now remember I am using astro file manager so your file manager may be different on how it installs the app. If you are familiar with your file manger then go through your normal installation but I cant tell your how to install these files with another file manager. Now select install so your file manager can install the file.

Now repeat the same step above with the Clicker file.

After installing the two files go to the droid's settings, then to Language & keyboards settings. You should see Touch Input and touch input settings. Select Touch Input to enable it (green check mark) click ok on the attention window. Then select Touch Input settings. Then select Text input. Put a green check mark on everything on the page but you don't have to put a check mark on the sound effect or vibrate if you don't want to. I dont like sounds when I press the keyboard so I left it unchecked and checked vibrate.

There is a calibration for this too but you dont have to do anything with that right now

Now go back to your home screen and go to your text messaging application. Open your physical keyboard and just leave the To: field empty because we aren't sending the text to anyone right now. Go to the empty text entry box below and long press or press down without lifting your finger until you see a box pop up. Select Input method and then on the next window find and select Touch input (green dot filled).

Now the input method window should have disappeared and left you with your blank sms window. Ok now to get the predictive text to pop up at the bottom of the screen you have to physically touch the text entry field first then start typing with your physical keyboard.

If you start typing with the physical keyboard first it will not trigger the predictive text. At anytime if you dont get predictive text just tap the area where you are entering your text with you finger and then start using your physical keyboard.

This htc keyboard isnt designed for the droid's larger screen so yes you will see some sizing and format problems if you use it as your primary touch screen keyboard. I actually am still more accurate with it than the standard droids onscreen keyboard but that is up to you. To change your onscreen keyboard back to the defualt one just long press again on any text entry field and change the input method.
    Last edited by hal1; 12-02-09 at 10:13 PM.
    12-02-09 10:05 PM
    No input from any of tech savvy guys (and girls)?
    12-03-09 06:55 PM
    It works, but for me it was less than ideal. It replaces the standard virrtual keyboard (which sucks because I use Better Keyboard) with a keyboard that doesn't fit. The slider keyboard does have auto-correct, but it isn't worth the trade off to me.
    12-03-09 07:04 PM
    It works, but for me it was less than ideal. It replaces the standard virrtual keyboard (which sucks because I use Better Keyboard) with a keyboard that doesn't fit. The slider keyboard does have auto-correct, but it isn't worth the trade off to me.
    Oh, I didn't realize that it also replaced the standard virtual keboard.
    12-03-09 08:21 PM
    The other bad thing about that autocorrect "hack" is that if you use the physical enter key to send a text it double sends it.
    12-03-09 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD