Google probably wouldn't care who is buying their apps as long as they can get the same info from the user and push their ads in any app possible. It's not like they are making any $$ to speak of from the Marketplace anyway. Their business model is all about more people using the apps. Besides, if the devs have anything worthwhile to offer, 99 bucks isn't going to stop them. In fact, the nominal fee is there exactly for that, to weed out the un-serious...

They make and GIVE AWAY Android. They don't further their business model by only allowing Android phones to access Marketplace. RIM is practically doing them a favor by making Android apps run on QNX. It's that much more grist for the mill...
    02-11-11 12:52 AM
    Google probably wouldn't care who is buying their apps as long as they can get the same info from the user and push their ads in any app possible. It's not like they are making any $$ to speak of from the Marketplace anyway. Their business model is all about more people using the apps. Besides, if the devs have anything worthwhile to offer, 99 bucks isn't going to stop them. In fact, the nominal fee is there exactly for that, to weed out the un-serious...

They make and GIVE AWAY Android. They don't further their business model by only allowing Android phones to access Marketplace. RIM is practically doing them a favor by making Android apps run on QNX. It's that much more grist for the mill...
    Personally, I agree and disagree simultaneously. On one side, there is the fact that RIM is paying Google so in return Google might exclude BlackBerry devices from all their crap. But, it's Google, and like any business, it needs to make money, so they could throw in 10-20x more ads for us BlackBerry users, just because we're BB users.
    02-11-11 01:41 AM
    When I had android, you can go to the developer forums and just download the apps directly and this can be done here so don't need the market. My only concern, since qnx is the os and trying to run android stuff, will this be like a vm situation and android apps are will suffer performance issues?
    Aren't Android apps already run with a VM on android phones? I admit i have NO CLUE about any of this stuff, just recycling what I'd read one place or another.
    02-11-11 06:29 AM
    I guess my concern about this would be that RIM decided to not use Dalvik* which at this point is the right thing to do and it's going to be done in house for release the second part of this year is if RIM decided to drop the project.

I just wonder how many developers are going to push this thing using the Adobe Air or RIMs SDK. I see EA is doing something for the PlayBook which is a good start. Also I wonder about the cost of future PlayBook apps.

* I know RIM doesn't want to get into the Google/Oracle bout
    02-11-11 07:59 AM

it is when you app is free already though. There are so many free apps on the android market that are very good. You dont want to pay $99 to offer a free app
    02-11-11 09:22 AM
    it is when you app is free already though. There are so many free apps on the android market that are very good. You dont want to pay $99 to offer a free app
    Therefore what will happen is for PlayBook, they will charge �50 for the app. Fair move given BlackBerry has an essence of expense to it. If you can afford �130 for a phone that does less than a phone that costs 1 tenth of it, and can be bothered to buy it (I speak for the 8520 because it sucks bigtime in comparison to even the Nokias) then �50 an app is nothing. Or at least, you should be able to.
    02-11-11 09:30 AM
    Running the apps is one thing but getting access to the "android market" would mean sign some sort of contract with google or having the devs list their apps in appworld.

I would assume RIM will cough up some major $$$ to acquire access to the market somehow. to me that seems like the best option.
    I don't think it even needs to be major money for RIM to cough up. Google could allow RIM access to their market place at a discounted price if RIM allows Google to advertise through the apps. For the record, I'd rather RIM cough up the money so I don't have those BS advertisements.

they could be crap world isnt exactly the best marketplace. It will cost devs money too.

the easiest way is to pay google for market access. it would be expensive for RIM probably but the customer and the Devs would win with that and it certainly would give the PB a huge boost.
    RIM is already giving developers a free PB if they submit an app (and it gets accepted) to BBAW, I can see them offering no fees to bring your Android app over to BBAW... or at least discounted fees.
    02-11-11 09:53 AM
    I think everyone is thinking about it too much all RIM would have to say is tell developers hey get your apps some more publicity come list them in our app store as well so they will now be in the android market place as well as the rim appworld with no money thrown to either side. I am pretty sure developers would not complain if adding their app to another appstore could increase their revenues.
    02-11-11 03:15 PM
    If RIM pulls this off and we have access to the Market like any other Android tablet, I will be running to buy the Playbook. This would really give RIM the ONE-UP on the overpriced Android tablets coming out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-11 09:18 AM
    I just don't understand the significance of not using Dalvik... I understand about the lawsuit with Google and RIM's people going to make their own, but is this a good thing or a bad thing? And why?

I'd like to hear both sides of this argument so I can make an informed opinion.
    02-14-11 08:08 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD