RIM Said to Plan PlayBook Software to Run Google’s Android Apps - Businessweek

Research In Motion Ltd., looking to score a hit with its PlayBook tablet computer, is working on software to allow the device to run applications for Google Inc.’s Android, three people familiar with the matter said.

RIM plans to integrate the technology with the PlayBook operating system, giving customers access to Android’s more than 130,000 apps, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the effort isn’t public. RIM, after looking outside the company, is developing the software internally and may have it ready in the second half, two people said.
    RIM had considered using Google’s Dalvik, the Java software used in running Android apps, and decided against it for reasons including an ongoing patent dispute between Oracle Corp. and Google over the software, two people said.
    02-10-11 03:02 PM
    RIM, do that and I will love you FOREVER! Just please get the thing out for a timely release..
    02-10-11 03:04 PM
    RIM, do that and I will love you FOREVER! Just please get the thing out for a timely release..
    their stock is soaring, i think they're timing these things to keep it up
    02-10-11 03:09 PM
    it has to soar now the number on complaint from analyst was the lack of apps if you can run android apps on the playbook and then future blackberrys bang theres not much more the analyst can complain about
    02-10-11 03:20 PM
    my guess is they'll just reprogram the apps so that if it is run on QNX, it won't work. To try and negate that. I hope they don't though, all the games and junk from Android, combined with the Productivity of BlackBerry Apps. We're onto a winner.
    02-10-11 03:29 PM
    it has to soar now the number on complaint from analyst was the lack of apps if you can run android apps on the playbook and then future blackberrys bang theres not much more the analyst can complain about
    They'd find something.
    02-10-11 03:32 PM
    my guess is they'll just reprogram the apps so that if it is run on QNX, it won't work. To try and negate that. I hope they don't though, all the games and junk from Android, combined with the Productivity of BlackBerry Apps. We're onto a winner.
    Do you mean they = google? I hope not. Also would be a bad move, they'd basically be cockblocking their developers from entering a new market to sell their apps.
    02-10-11 03:37 PM
    their stock is soaring, i think they're timing these things to keep it up
    nice I was down 20% loss on RIM stock this year but I held the stock and it has almost climbed back. now i am only down 4%
    02-10-11 03:38 PM
    Running the apps is one thing but getting access to the "android market" would mean sign some sort of contract with google or having the devs list their apps in appworld.

I would assume RIM will cough up some major $$$ to acquire access to the market somehow. to me that seems like the best option.
    02-10-11 03:41 PM
    nice I was down 20% loss on RIM stock this year but I held the stock and it has almost climbed back. now i am only down 4%
    next stock bump, MWC on monday
    02-10-11 03:46 PM
    Amazon is readying their own Android app store. Problem solved.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-10-11 03:59 PM
    Hopefully it's not just OTA Android apps and actual apps in the App Store
    02-10-11 04:35 PM
    Sounds good. I think RIM would probably partner with Amazon or some other third party.

Not sure Google would give them access to the Market Place. Otherwise why buy a device any of Googles partners like Moto that make Android devices.
    02-10-11 04:49 PM
    because google phones still do more than the competition lol

(assuming this would apply to QNX phones also)
    Last edited by howarmat; 02-10-11 at 05:23 PM.
    02-10-11 05:00 PM
    Matt how dare you talk about the Jesus phone like that on the sly

You need to download this app pronto

LOL

** no offense to anyone
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    02-10-11 05:17 PM
    because google phones still do more than the competition lol

(assuming this would apply to QNX phones also)
    I would bank on this assumption.
    02-10-11 05:35 PM
    Amazon is readying their own Android app store. Problem solved.
    nothin like the sweet smell of 204,000 apps in the mornin
    02-10-11 07:58 PM
    amazon app store is not going to be as popular as you think.

Amazon is setting the prices and the Dev gets 70% of the profits. So if you submit to amazon and you want $5 for the app but amazon says $3, then you get 70% of that. They do say they will give you 20% of the price you submit so i guess you would get $2 for that no matter what price Amazon sets it at even it its $2.

Amazon has to review the app also. Dont know how long that will take or what they will accept and deny.

Also i think there is a fee to join the dev market on Amazon of $99. So you will not see alot of people sign up on amazon IMO with the costs like that.

Bottom line you will not see 200K android apps on the amazon app store
    02-10-11 08:15 PM
    Maybe Im not fully understanding how this all works, but why would we need access to the Android Market? Couldn't Developers just submit the same app to Blackberry App world?
    02-10-11 09:00 PM
    amazon app store is not going to be as popular as you think.

Amazon is setting the prices and the Dev gets 70% of the profits. So if you submit to amazon and you want $5 for the app but amazon says $3, then you get 70% of that. They do say they will give you 20% of the price you submit so i guess you would get $2 for that no matter what price Amazon sets it at even it its $2.

Amazon has to review the app also. Dont know how long that will take or what they will accept and deny.

Also i think there is a fee to join the dev market on Amazon of $99. So you will not see alot of people sign up on amazon IMO with the costs like that.

Bottom line you will not see 200K android apps on the amazon app store
    The flip side is there may be less clutter to sift through.
    02-10-11 09:08 PM
    Maybe Im not fully understanding how this all works, but why would we need access to the Android Market? Couldn't Developers just submit the same app to Blackberry App world?
    Exactly - and that is how I assume it would work. Little, or no, additional modification to your app - just submit it to AppWorld.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-11 09:47 PM
    Not that a personally care that much about apps but it's good news if only for the fact that this will be an "in your face" move that will shut the naysayers' (i.e. analysts and media) mouths for a while.
    02-10-11 09:53 PM
    Not that a personally care that much about apps but it's good news if only for the fact that this will be an "in your face" move that will shut the naysayers' (i.e. analysts and media) mouths for a while.
    only for that day that they spend looking for the next thing to criticize
    02-10-11 09:59 PM
    they could be crap world isnt exactly the best marketplace. It will cost devs money too.

the easiest way is to pay google for market access. it would be expensive for RIM probably but the customer and the Devs would win with that and it certainly would give the PB a huge boost.
    02-10-11 10:09 PM
    When I had android, you can go to the developer forums and just download the apps directly and this can be done here so don't need the market. My only concern, since qnx is the os and trying to run android stuff, will this be like a vm situation and android apps are will suffer performance issues?
    02-11-11 12:25 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD