Meh, if the retail version of the Titan doesnt have capacitive touch, it's still better than if Chen's lawyers make them shut the whole thing down period.

I would have preferred they keep their hands out of this one since Unihertz is offering something that BBMo isn't, but I guess it was too hard for them to resist... just like with Ryan Seacrest's Typo cases.
    I hate that, because they were quick to threaten them in court but then offered no alternative themselves for us consumers to have...
    You seem to feel like you're entitled to have someone produce what you want, regardless of who owns the intellectual property. Blackberry's patents belong to them, and anyone who wants to use them needs to license them legally.

Just because my car is parked and I'm not using it, that doesn't mean you should get to drive it!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Tim Heard, TgeekB and SeeBeeEss like this.
    08-11-19 12:37 PM
    You seem to feel like you're entitled to have someone produce what you want, regardless of who owns the intellectual property. Blackberry's patents belong to them, and anyone who wants to use them needs to license them legally.

Just because my car is parked and I'm not using it, that doesn't mean you should get to drive it!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Well, the car analogy isn't the best, because me using it as a given moment means you can't, since its a physical object.

The keyboard patents are a bit different, but I get what you're saying.
    08-11-19 12:59 PM
    Meh, if the retail version of the Titan doesnt have capacitive touch, it's still better than if Chen's lawyers make them shut the whole thing down period.

I would have preferred they keep their hands out of this one since Unihertz is offering something that BBMo isn't, but I guess it was too hard for them to resist... just like with Ryan Seacrest's Typo cases.
    I hate that, because they were quick to threaten them in court but then offered no alternative themselves for us consumers to have...
    Hate what? BB just wants to get what it’s owed for the money it’s spent on development. Like somebody renting your place during the winter.
    08-11-19 01:08 PM
    Official reply from Unihertz in the Titan facebook page: "We have to make some modifications for Titan to avoid any possible patent issues which may prevent it from becoming true. Thanks for your understanding."
    08-12-19 12:56 AM
    Official reply from Unihertz in the Titan facebook page: "We have to make some modifications for Titan to avoid any possible patent issues which may prevent it from becoming true. Thanks for your understanding."
    Here we go...
    08-12-19 01:03 AM
    This phone design is ugly though, no offense but I love my Key2 Silver.
    If you need it rugged, then get Tudia case.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-12-19 03:25 AM
    Dammit Chen
    elfabio80 and Denny_Crane like this.
    08-12-19 06:04 AM
    Dammit Chen
    Chen hasn’t done anything but his job.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-12-19 06:11 AM
    Here we go...
    All they have to do is pay BBTax, whatever two companies negotiate. Of course, it can’t violate the agreement with BBMo either since BB has obligations there as well. The whole issue may have actually started from those BBMo obligations.
    08-12-19 06:38 AM
    Why do I have the feeling it'll end up as a full touch?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-12-19 07:23 AM
    Copied from the Storm?
    08-12-19 07:24 AM
    Copied from the Storm?
    Not only does the Storm have the brand appeal of a smallpox-ISIS joint venture, the clicky screen patent would still probably be defended to the death by BB's attack lawyers.

Remains to be seen how deep BB's patent tentacles are to change the final product.
    08-12-19 07:27 AM
    Not only does the Storm have the brand appeal of a smallpox-ISIS joint venture, the clicky screen patent would still probably be defended to the death by BB's attack lawyers.

Remains to be seen how deep BB's patent tentacles are to change the final product.
    Titan kept reminding me of an 8700 more than anything else. Now that’s out, so I’m picturing a Smith Corona PKB style attached to 80s style bag phone with full crowd funding @$199 shoulder pads included.

Your VKB suggestion will forgo Storm name as you suggest for Z50 moniker instead.
    08-12-19 07:42 AM
    Ugh, what a fail.

Let's not pretend for an instant that the main reason this thing got so much support so fast isn't primarily because of keyboard...

And why do some make it seem like it's impossible to make a decent PKB without either paying BB for its patents or outright copying them!?!
    08-12-19 08:02 AM
    And why do some make it seem like it's impossible to make a decent PKB without either paying BB for its patents or outright copying them!?!
    Yet here we are.
    08-12-19 08:14 AM
    I also suspected it was somekind of patent violation, just hoped would go under the radar. Not that I use the touch keyboard a lot anyway on my K1...maybe would have used it more on a passport like format...anyway...whatever...
    should it end up as a full touch phone I will enter a fake address instead of mine at the delivery

anyway they have enlarged the screen size from 4.5 to 4.6 was the screen size also patented??
    08-12-19 08:16 AM
    Ugh, what a fail.

Let's not pretend for an instant that the main reason this thing got so much support so fast isn't primarily because of keyboard...

I think it could be done under the Palm brand yet after purchasing, TCL licensed BB so perhaps TCL knows better?
    08-12-19 08:18 AM
    You already have backers based on a device and now it gets bigger and heavier and loses probably one of the biggest selling points. Its not shocking per say but to have to do a redesign and take away features is not a good start.
    08-12-19 08:29 AM
    I think it could be done under the Palm brand yet after purchasing, TCL licensed BB so perhaps TCL knows better?
    Well maybe they did so because they thought that brand name would hold a lot more weight than the Palm name... and they're right, but it's just that BB ltd is asking too much from them for it to be viable going forward.

How in the hell does BB ltd expect someone else to now come along and do exactly what TCL has done if TCL wasn't successful in doing it?
    Aside from a major player like Samsung but I'd guess they have bigger fish to fry.

Just license the damn keyboard patents for a reasonable fee, because not nearly enough people care for BB Secure/BBAndroid.
    08-12-19 08:29 AM
    Well maybe they did so because they thought that brand name would hold a lot more weight than the Palm name... and they're right, but it's just that BB ltd is asking too much from them for it to be viable going forward.

How in the hell does BB ltd expect someone else to now come along and do exactly what TCL has done if TCL wasn't successful in doing it?
    Aside from a major player like Samsung but I'd guess they have bigger fish to fry.

Just license the damn keyboard patents for a reasonable fee, because not nearly enough people care for BB Secure/BBAndroid.
    Reasonable has to be profitable for BB at whatever level BB determines.
    08-12-19 08:54 AM
    You already have backers based on a device and now it gets bigger and heavier and loses probably one of the biggest selling points. Its not shocking per say but to have to do a redesign and take away features is not a good start.
    In this regard I wonder how many "donors" will want a refund. I would want one.
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    08-12-19 09:05 AM
    I would want one.
    So would I. It's not difficult to see - just do a countdown from the kickstarter clock - it's at 2771 right now. I've noticed a few gone in the last 1/2 hour or so.
    Smokeaire and SeeBeeEss like this.
    08-12-19 09:12 AM
    So would I. It's not difficult to see - just do a countdown from the kickstarter clock - it's at 2771 right now. I've noticed a few gone in the last 1/2 hour or so.
    It will be interesting if without the PKB the Titan will see the light of day. Maybe in a full slab version (yawn).
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    08-12-19 09:24 AM
    yawn
    THIS. Enough said.
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    08-12-19 09:26 AM
    Could any of you backing the Unihertz Titan Kickstarter share the information provided in the posts on the Unihertz Titan Kickstarter page which is only viewable by the backers?

Like this one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2589801

What accessories add-on are they talking about?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-19 09:41 AM
850 ... 2526272829 ...