Yeah... Only 2 days and Android get me disappointed...

I am used to BlackBerry and let me tell that even if Dropbox do not have picture's auto-upload feature (one of my favorite feature on Android), the battery is really a PITA that make me think to drop android...

It's hard to be doing 12hrs work shift with a single charge when the phone is really solicited. Just being on hold, the battery drain even if all apps are closed. The phone is unlocked and rooted. Is there any ROM that could help me make my Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830D to last at least something near the 20hours my BB is doing!

I have to tell you that this is my work phone and I don't have time to charge while on field (min 90% of my shift). So pictures, sms, emails, phones and GPS (geo-tag and meteo apps)...

Help needed...
    10-25-12 11:26 PM
    what OS are you running? from looking at specs on that phone its pretty old and has a tiny battery.
    10-25-12 11:34 PM
    what OS are you running? from looking at specs on that phone its pretty old and has a tiny battery.
    Yeah it's not the newest device.... It's only for work (on industrial site) so I didn't wanted to pay for new device since it is a "test" to learn what is android... I am running Gingerbread (2.3.4).
    10-25-12 11:46 PM
    yeah you will want to find a ROM over on XDA that is ICS (4.0) or higher. I think there will be a few
    Marty_LK likes this.
    10-26-12 12:08 AM
    Yeah, Gingerbread isn't the best for BL. You should be able to find a good ICS ROM or a Jelly Bean ROM for that Ace. Another reason to have gotten a larger screened phone - they tend to have much larger batteries and longer battery life. That said, JB has done my Inspire 4G a good turn on battery Life. And it has a tiny battery also.
    10-26-12 09:34 AM
    Yeah... Only 2 days and Android get me disappointed...

I am used to BlackBerry and let me tell that even if Dropbox do not have picture's auto-upload feature (one of my favorite feature on Android), the battery is really a PITA that make me think to drop android...

It's hard to be doing 12hrs work shift with a single charge when the phone is really solicited. Just being on hold, the battery drain even if all apps are closed. The phone is unlocked and rooted. Is there any ROM that could help me make my Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830D to last at least something near the 20hours my BB is doing!
    Help needed...
    You wouldn't buy a used Kia and expect it to drive like a Lexus!
    There are definitely battery issues on older Androids, so not sure that you can compare it to the new ones. FYI, my S3 battery lasts as long, if not longer than my 9810. I've never had a day where it didn't have some battery left even after long days of travel and lots of calls/internet. Most days the battery is at anywhere from 30-40% after being off the charger for 14-15 hours. And the whole Android experience takes a few weeks to get used to it, especially coming from BB.
    Good luck if you decide to switch to ICS.
    Greenghost likes this.
    10-26-12 09:46 AM
    That galaxy ace is like a $50 prepaid phone. You should compare it to a feature phone with that price.
    10-26-12 09:57 AM
    That galaxy ace is like a $50 prepaid phone. You should compare it to a feature phone with that price.
    I bought that cheap phone for many reason... I am not sure you would be using your brand new last of it's kind device inside a crushing and mine mill. I am foreman, so I have to go in those spot that nobody else want to go, full of water, dust, grease, oil, muck... That's why I am not using my 9810...

I heard after I decided to buy, that Sony Xperia phones are waterproof so it's going to be the next phone if android can show itself interesting... I am also waiting to see BB10 next year, I prefer to keep my money for a new BB10 device...

So you have any ROM name to suggest ?

Thanks
    10-26-12 11:07 AM
    Nexus all the way! Thats why I haven't really been checking the forums much since my phone just works now. the best thing you can do is turn down brightness, screen auto off to 30 seconds, etc.
    10-27-12 05:20 PM
    Nexus all the way! Thats why I haven't really been checking the forums much since my phone just works now. the best thing you can do is turn down brightness, screen auto off to 30 seconds, etc.
    While looking for a ROM to help maintain batt life, I found out an interesting way to spare battery life that I am testing now... I'll update later if I found out it really works... All required is a root device and a file manager... no rom or kernel switch!
    10-27-12 05:31 PM
    Galaxy Ace? Since it is the galaxy ace(which is a mid-level cell phone) these are your results. The best phone to compare the galaxy ace to is the HTC Wildfire.

Current devices: Samsung Galaxy S2/Hercules, Kindle Fire, iPod Touch, LG Expressions, T-Mobile G2.
    10-27-12 06:02 PM
    If you haven't already done so, check out Juice Defender from the Play Store. It's not a task manager, rather it's a settings tweaker. It works great.
    10-28-12 12:56 PM
    If you haven't already done so, check out Juice Defender from the Play Store. It's not a task manager, rather it's a settings tweaker. It works great.
    +1

increased my battery life by like 25%.
    10-28-12 03:27 PM
    While looking for a ROM to help maintain batt life, I found out an interesting way to spare battery life that I am testing now... I'll update later if I found out it really works... All required is a root device and a file manager... no rom or kernel switch!
    let me guess..... titanium backup + freeze/uninstall bloatware?
    10-28-12 03:30 PM
    +1

increased my battery life by like 25%. Also, I wouldn't put ICS on anything other than a dual core with at least 1GB of ram - stick with GB. ICS is quite laggy for me.
    Though the Ace is slightly slower than a Desire HD, 800Mhz vs. 1Ghz, an ICS or higher quality Jelly Bean ROM might run well on it. Especially if it is OC'd to 1GHz or higher. But it just depends on the devs putting out the ROMs. On my Inspire 4G (Desire HD) - having a single-core CPU - I'm running a superb quality Jelly Bean ROM that is buttery smooth and sufficiently fast. But it's a gem among turds. There are other JB ROMs that are nothing but junk. ICS, however, seems to require less system resources to run well. If the OP wants to go with a 4x ROM, finding a well running ICS ROM might be easier.
    10-28-12 03:41 PM
    Well got it better today... look there: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...22#post7700022
    10-28-12 06:24 PM
    Though the Ace is slightly slower than a Desire HD, 800Mhz vs. 1Ghz, an ICS or higher quality Jelly Bean ROM might run well on it. Especially if it is OC'd to 1GHz or higher. But it just depends on the devs putting out the ROMs. On my Inspire 4G (Desire HD) - having a single-core CPU - I'm running a superb quality Jelly Bean ROM that is buttery smooth and sufficiently fast. But it's a gem among turds. There are other JB ROMs that are nothing but junk. ICS, however, seems to require less system resources to run well. If the OP wants to go with a 4x ROM, finding a well running ICS ROM might be easier.
    hahaha thought about it some more that's why I edited it out. looks like you beat me too it.
    10-31-12 11:23 PM
    Plus the nexus s 4g has official jb with a single core 1ghz processor and runs better than ever

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2
    Marty_LK likes this.
    11-03-12 01:22 AM