Coworker got angry at his Iphone SE today. Young guy, normally calm, but apparently hes had issues with this phone for the last 2 weeks. In a fit of rage he threw it, hit the wall, dead iphone. I stupidly laugh at the absurdity of it, and he grabs MY Phone and throws it at the same wall. Bounces off the wall, he realises what hes done, apologizes over and over, says he'll buy me a new one. I pick up my Titan, brush some drywall dust off the corner, and call his phone number. Leave a voicemail saying "hey I think your phones dead". We both laugh like maniacs after a few seconds. On a related note, whats the most rugged smartphone that works well on Verizon?
    05-07-21 06:45 PM
    Coworker got angry at his Iphone SE today. Young guy, normally calm, but apparently hes had issues with this phone for the last 2 weeks. In a fit of rage he threw it, hit the wall, dead iphone. I stupidly laugh at the absurdity of it, and he grabs MY Phone and throws it at the same wall. Bounces off the wall, he realises what hes done, apologizes over and over, says he'll buy me a new one. I pick up my Titan, brush some drywall dust off the corner, and call his phone number. Leave a voicemail saying "hey I think your phones dead". We both laugh like maniacs after a few seconds. On a related note, whats the most rugged smartphone that works well on Verizon?
    I have other questions.
    05-07-21 06:57 PM

Samsung
    X Cover Pro

Or

https://www.androidauthority.com/?p=789011
    Want a rugged phone that can take a beating and will work in the most adverse conditions? Here are the best ones.

*Btw if some person or even supposed friend were to snatch my phone and throw it against a wall the friends iPhone would not have been the only thing damaged.
    conite and nevilleadaniels like this.
    05-07-21 11:25 PM
    Another good review of options. Making me look forward to the Titan Pocket despite them blowing the actual screen size.

https://www.cnet.com/news/rugged-pho...t-need-a-case/
    the_boon likes this.
    05-07-21 11:52 PM
    I have other questions.
    Like what had they been smoking before their shift?
    05-07-21 11:54 PM
    Titan works on Verizon. I use that and Cat S48C. I think the Cat S62 Pro will also work.
    05-07-21 11:56 PM
    Back mid 70s, (74-75?) I worked an extra job and saved to purchase a calculator. The salesman showed me TI, Casio, etc. And finally drew the HP65 from his belt holster, demonstrated and explained various features... Concluding with: "... The best thing about HP, ...if you happen to be walking down the hall and accidentally... (I'm thinking surely he's not going to drop a $600 calculator!?) ... THROW your calculator!" ...!!! And he THROWS his personal $600 HP against the wall!!

...He walked over, picked it up, aimed it toward me, turned it on and confidently proclaimed: "...it'll still work! ". Lol.

Guess what I walked out of there with? Lol. Mine was a much cheaper RPN HP21. (bout $130 in 1975!)... But WAY more precise and generally quicker at most things than my old trusty 4" pocket slide rule. Quicker at "MOST" things. Lol. Those were the days when slide rule races inevitably became calculator races. I'm STILL faster at some certain calcs with slide rule. Precision on a 4 incher can't match calculator, tho. AND any slide rule thrown against a wall would never be trusted again. Lol. Batteries sure last, tho. Lol.

I concur with some previous sentiments, tho... That hot headed kid might just end up with sheet rock dust in his eye lashes after throwing MY handset... Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-08-21 at 02:24 AM.
    nevilleadaniels, bh7171 and dmlis like this.
    05-08-21 02:10 AM
    Back mid 70s, (74-75?) I worked an extra job.... WAY more precise and generally quicker at most things than my old trusty 4" pocket slide rule... Those were the days when slide rule races inevitably became calculator races. I'm STILL faster at some certain calcs with slide rule...
    I like the slide rule analogy. You should post in the "...what's the oldest tech you still use" thread.
    05-08-21 06:47 AM
    ...he threw it, hit the wall, dead iphone...
    Rumours were that RIM employees were encouraged to throw early BlackBerry devices at walls. I suspect Apple did not do the same. I am not sure if any device gets "...thrown at walls" anymore as part of formal or informal testing, but there are videos of Titan phones being rough handled and doing fine.
    05-08-21 06:53 AM
    And there was me thinking of ditching Android for iPhone. Now this Titan It's Beginning to catch my interest.
    Oh so we can see why it was named Titan. ( tough to beat)
    Mmm..
    05-08-21 10:03 AM
    I like the slide rule analogy. You should post in the "...what's the oldest tech you still use" thread.
    Lol... Might have posted there... Can't recall? Lol. Oldest tech I still use might be this aging electro-chemical-analog-digital processor between my ears? Problem is, THAT processor's RAM & ROM & "persistent" storage have developed great need for some garbage collection, error flagging, defrag, compaction etc. Lol. The antiquated thing has become a better chicken wire mesh than a sub micron filter, these days. Lol. It's survived a lifetime of virtual "pounding against walls" in frustration. Most of those walls ultimately yielded to superior hardness coefficient... Possibly measured in rockwell or brinell? Lol. Ruggedized? Lol.

Worth pondering how early-mid 70s Hewlett Packard enjoyed reputation for pursuing pretty niche markets... Including ruggedization.. The $6-800 (70's $$) HP65 model that that tiny watch repair store (near Stennis Space Center) salesman threw against the store wall ultimately flew same model with Apollo-Soyuz mission. Afaik. It was THE "gold standard" in mobile calculating in my circles, in that mid70s "previous life"... Lol.

HP65 was programmable, stored on magnetic "cards", but I'd already seen others spend days, even weeks, deriving equations & programing functions that I'd frequently derived in minutes thru drafting machine graphical kinematics. A POWERful solution strategy applicable to MANY fields! ME, CE, EE, econ, agriculture, etc, etc... I'd fabbed up a drafting machine table with a slot to precisely scribe blank slide rules... Still use that table. Still a few blanks. Haven't scribed vernier since mid-90s, tho... Lol.

I'd found non-programmable HP21 + 4" sr to prove a powerful dual carry combo. BOTH single handed friendly, btw. Then came HP41... Which I STILL use but graphical kinematic solutions derived on CAD still prove MUCH faster & precise. Sometimes ya just "gottagitterdone" while "youngsters" are still debating variables... Lol...

HP eventually found "consumer level" success in various products but early 70's reminded me of some slightly reminiscent similarities to UH. Imo. Who knows where UH might be next decade? Lol. Maybe this newer Titan might fit a Pocket? Lol.
    tmommy likes this.
    05-08-21 01:04 PM
    Too bad some one didn't record the whole thing and sell it to Titan for advertising.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-21 07:01 PM
    Back mid 70s, (74-75?) I worked an extra job and saved to purchase a calculator. The salesman showed me TI, Casio, etc. And finally drew the HP65 from his belt holster, demonstrated and explained various features... Concluding with: "... The best thing about HP, ...if you happen to be walking down the hall and accidentally... (I'm thinking surely he's not going to drop a $600 calculator!?) ... THROW your calculator!" ...!!! And he THROWS his personal $600 HP against the wall!!

...He walked over, picked it up, aimed it toward me, turned it on and confidently proclaimed: "...it'll still work! ". Lol.

Guess what I walked out of there with? Lol. Mine was a much cheaper RPN HP21. (bout $130 in 1975!)... But WAY more precise and generally quicker at most things than my old trusty 4" pocket slide rule. Quicker at "MOST" things. Lol. Those were the days when slide rule races inevitably became calculator races. I'm STILL faster at some certain calcs with slide rule. Precision on a 4 incher can't match calculator, tho. AND any slide rule thrown against a wall would never be trusted again. Lol. Batteries sure last, tho. Lol.

I concur with some previous sentiments, tho... That hot headed kid might just end up with sheet rock dust in his eye lashes after throwing MY handset... Lol.
    I'm post slide rule Era, but I know how to use one. While teaching chemistry, I use the slide rule to solve the examples and beat the kids on their calculators, except for one who proudly puts his hand up to say the anser is 5.3x10^43. After finishing a few seconds later, I reply that yes, inded, he was faster. Except he multiplied instead of divided and thus got the wrong answer. I then followed up on the importance of keeping the brain active and predicting the right magnitude of answer (required with slide rules). He didn't hassle me about 20th century tech again.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-21 07:07 PM
    Too bad some one didn't record the whole thing and sell it to Titan for advertising.

Posted via CB10
    If it happened in a workplace, not impossible that security footage might possibly exist? All depends? Lol.

Should be possible to stage something illustrating abuse a product might endure... Something like the famous American Tourister gorilla? Or? Lol.
    05-08-21 07:22 PM
    Like I said, normally a calm guy, but hes been going through some serious problems. I think his iphone was kind of the breaking point. and luckily the titan wasnt breaking.
    05-09-21 02:48 AM
    Like I said, normally a calm guy, but hes been going through some serious problems. I think his iphone was kind of the breaking point. and luckily the titan wasnt breaking.
    A great comparison of BOTH toughness and frustration. Lol.

I can empathise with frustration. Some aspects of "works when IT feels like it" modern stuff proves hazardous to my blood pressure. Lol.

I'd led the charge at my company into Z10 out of our exquisite Bolds. Naively expecting newest, bestest, greatest, wonderfulness... Lol. RIM had devoted an extra YEAR to get it right, THIS time. Surely they'd learned SOMEthing out of the Storm rush job fiasco! ?? Lol.

Obvious first day that "Barely Baked When?" BB10 platform as released wasn't ready to crawl, 2013, before getting kicked off the porch to run with the big dogs. Lol. Sadly.

Nine months into Z10, I'd developed a reputation for complaining about reliably answering and ending calls with my single, heavily calloused, thumb. As I'd grown used to with superbly reliable Bolds. Z's "soft" phone controls worked about 95% of the time. Under MY thumb. Replaced my Z twice seeking solution. That 5% failure rate proved blood pressure hazardous. Lol. I carried a tiny tube of skin moisturizer that seemed to improve thumb callous capacitive conductivity. Lol. Made for a hideous looking screen, demanding frequent cleaning, tho. Ug.

One day I was out of moisturizer and my whole crew was gathered round excitedly anticipating a particular VIP call. The call rang. After left thumb's third attempt to answer failed, I hurriedly rushed to answer with right hand's first finger. Crushing the foam cup of HOT coffee it was holding (with creamer & sugar lol) all over Z, me, my tie, the floor, etc... I somehow managed to portray an adequately cool, all systems normal, composure to the caller. (We had been awarded a significant project! ). That caller never knew the better. Lol. My facial expressions while shaking burning coffee from hands, shaking off tie, and dropping shop towels to collect the spill, still occasionally proves a source of comic relief among my crew. Lol.

To its credit, that soaked Z completed its final mission flawlessly. The damage was ultimately deemed mortal, tho. It occupies a place of honor on our breakroom bulletin board... In memory of a significant milestone for our small company. .

A Titan would've likely survived the soaking, tho.
    05-09-21 06:16 AM
    You laughed after someone picked up YOUR phone and threw it against the wall?

Thats instant grounds for violence in my books.

At the very least, I would have given him a shot upside the head.
    05-09-21 09:15 AM

then you both be out on your behind looking for a new job
    Ben xfg and Drg84 like this.
    05-09-21 09:41 AM
    My daughter dropped my Titan from 30 cm to the floor and volume buttons stopped working, along with power button. I needed to unscrew torx screws on that side and flatten that metal bar in order to fix the problem. So, its robustness is very questionable...

Posted via CB10
    05-09-21 01:24 PM

10 years ago, that would be true. But I think between the holy sh#t chaos of the last year, knowing that hes under an insane amount of stress, the fact that I like the guy and he Instantly offered to replace my phone, broke any anger I would have felt. I had Covid, a bad case, and staring death in the face makes you adjust just what makes you angry.
    Ben xfg likes this.
    05-10-21 05:17 PM