The ear piece speaker started to go bad in my Bold 9650 so...

I ordered myself an Android phone yesterday. It should be here today. I chose the HTC Wildfire S, mainly because it was free. I'm a little worried that it might be under powered a little with only a 600MHz processor but it's still a little faster than my BB.

I decided to give Android a try mostly out of curiosity. I have no complaints whatsoever with BB. Just want to see how the other half lives for a while.

I expect to have an educational and entertaining experience.

I'm trying to not let BlackBerry bias get in my way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Probably not the best phone to get a fair glimpse of Android. Low app storage, lower processor, and size might be a little harder to type on coming from a Bold. I just hope you don't have the same experience as the Acclaim
    10-27-11 11:55 AM
    Probably not the best phone to get a fair glimpse of Android. Low app storage, lower processor, and size might be a little harder to type on coming from a Bold. I just hope you don't have the same experience as the Acclaim
    I got it early this afternoon. Been playing with it while it charges. The on screen keyboard will be my biggest problem I think. Not necessary typing but re-training my brain to not rest one thumb on the screen while typing letters with the other one.

Otherwise the auto correct seems to work quite well. It's kind of comical to see what I actually typed and amazing that the phone guessed right.

I know the phone is low end. I thought I would use a free phone to "test the waters". if it doesn't quite work for me, I plan to reevaluate my options come black Friday.

Will definitely know more once I activate it.

10-27-11 03:00 PM
    IMO you made a mistake by getting a low end phone. The people that do this sometimes have bad experiences and judge the entire Android platform based on an experience that would have been better on a higher end device. After this they run back to blackberry and say how much Android sucks.
    I will agree to you mostly. However, many of the people in your example don't really know what they are buying when they get it.

If I have any problems I think that I will be able to tell if it's because of the hardware or the software.

I'm also trying to stay away from the top-of-the-line devices anyway. I can't afford to chase the latest and greatest which will only be in that position for a few weeks.

I'm looking for the cheapest device that meets my needs. If I need more Android power I will probably go with a Galaxy S. If I return to BB it will be with the Curve series.

I refuse to pay more than $100 for a phone. Just my personal opinion.

10-27-11 03:59 PM
    Well, here I am, thanks to T-Mobile NOT getting me a better price on the 9900, and offering a very good price on the Galaxy S2 (I was due for an upgrade, always pay on time, excellent customer according to them EXCEPT when it comes to giving a good price on a new BB device).

So, I decided to test the Android waters for a while... until BBX devices arrive and prove themselves a worthy successor to the venerable BBOS.

I will still be a CrackBerry fan at heart! Now, how do I type on this glass thing??
    11-20-11 11:22 PM
    Same here... Got an Amaze on Magenta Saturday and man... its great but I suck at typing on the screen...
    Guatiao likes this.
    11-21-11 07:15 PM
    Wow, welcome to Android, Guatiao and Capitan Totti!

It took me a week or so to adjust to a virtual keyboard. There are also other keyboards available for download in the Market.
    Guatiao likes this.
    11-21-11 08:17 PM

It took me a week or so to adjust to a virtual keyboard. There are also other keyboards available for download in the Market.
    Thank you!

Well, the tactile feedback of the BB keyboards is unique IMO. Especially on the classics like the 9000 and now the 9900.

I also doubt a different virtual keyboard will do a big diff. I am just gonna adapt to the one that comes with the Amaze. Plus I like Swype, or Trace as its called on the Amaze.

I am liking everything so far, except that I had to create yet another email account in gmail, but its alright, I'll find a use for it.

Guatiao likes this.
    11-21-11 11:32 PM
    Same here... Got an Amaze on Magenta Saturday and man... its great but I suck at typing on the screen...
    I suck also, in fact, it IS a deal breaker for me, BUT, since T-Mo seems to want to push Android devices only, I'm keeping it. It is a great device though!
    11-23-11 07:05 PM

Thanks, I am still using the stock Samsung for now, not Swype yet. I hope ICS has a better stock keyboard!
    11-23-11 07:06 PM
    Just went to Verizon and picked up the Galaxy Nexus. Coming from 3 years of BlackBerry, I feel dirty...

Oh well, this phone feels sweet... and its FAST. Time to learn how to use it.
    12-26-11 03:10 PM
    Well, I guess I'll be the first to post in this thread this year. I got the Samsung GS3 Thursday and I am rather liking it. I am coming from a Bold I've had for about 3 years, I tried updating it to 6.whatever, I went back down to 5.something the next day. That OS was GARBAGE! This GS3 is quite a change but I'm getting used to it. It looks sharp, runs smoothly and I've got a 32g SD for it, now I just need to gather together all my old CDs and start ripping them. The first 24 hours were dedicated to . . . fixing, my contacts list. Yes FB, when I tell you to only add information to already existing contacts in my contacts list I of COURSE meant for you to import every single person I have on FB into my contacts list. FB continues to screw up in every way possible, what I can't figure out though is why their IPO did so poorly *ROFL*
    06-23-12 09:47 PM
    The first 24 hours were dedicated to . . . fixing, my contacts list. Yes FB, when I tell you to only add information to already existing contacts in my contacts list I of COURSE meant for you to import every single person I have on FB into my contacts list.
    I've had my iPhone since 11/2011 and I'm STILL trying to undo what FB for Android did to my contacts! I totally understand!
    LegionPrime likes this.
    06-23-12 09:54 PM
    I've had my iPhone since 11/2011 and I'm STILL trying to undo what FB for Android did to my contacts! I totally understand!
    I dunno if it'll help you with your iPhone but what I did (after deleting businesses I no longer need to contact readily and the deceased) was, I linked the FB contacts to those already in my contacts, because of course adding them to the existing contacts just wouldn't make ANY sense. Then I went into Settings>Contacts to Display and selected "MobileLife Contacts" (TMO cloud synch service, may be something else with other carriers/Mac) so that the only contacts that displayed were those I actually had in my phonebook.
    06-24-12 01:45 PM
    Well count me as another person who's switched from blackberry to Android. Just picked up a Samsung Galaxy S III yesterday and boy do I love it so far. Took a little time getting my contacts switched over but other than that the switch has been pretty seemless. I had been holding out for a new blackberry but I wasn't about to wait until early next year when by Bold 9000 was barely hanging on. I won't say I'll never go back to blackberry, and for now I still have my playbook, but they're going to have to come out with quite a phone for me to switch back. And I hope they do!
    07-10-12 02:18 PM
    Welcome to the team.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    07-10-12 05:17 PM
    Yeah, My work just switched me from a year old Curve 3G to a new Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G (on Sprint).. I love the phone.. the wife has a Skyrocket on AT&T and she loves her phone as well (came from a 9800)..
    VIDGMER and Greenghost like this.
    07-10-12 11:48 PM
    It just occurred to me that I never posted in this particular thread.... although I did elsewwhere. I've now had my Samsung Galaxy SIII for just over a month and each day I love it more. I switched from a Blackberry 9900 and couldn't be happier. I thought I'd misss my Blackberry and, while it's a great phone, there is nothing it did that my SGIII can't do - and in most cases do better. I can just do so much more with it. It's an amazing phone. I love the display and screen space, features and functionality and while I've never really craved apps it is very nice to have such a selection available in Google Play and to be able to customize my phone just for how I actually use it. I have to say it's also great to be able to play social games with my friends on other platforms (like the With friends series)... most of whom have iphones and Androids. It's a small thing but it was always something I'd missed when I had my BB.

Before I switched I had been concerned I'd never get used to typing on the virtual keyboard, but I needn't have worried. There are so many keyboards available in the Android Market that it's just a matter of finding one that works for you. I played around with a few and settled on my favourite - SwiftKey 3. There mere fact that you can change a keyboard if you don't like it to one that you do like is so neat. Now I find typing a breeze... and I'm pretty fast due at least in part to personalizing the keyboard.
    I've made it a personal goal to become even more accurate - and I can track my progess
    I chose not to link all my Facebook contacts so I didn't have the issues some are mentioning here as far as contacts are concerned.
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 07-30-12 at 07:54 AM.
    07-30-12 07:51 AM
    same here never noticed thread! Truly enjoy my Android. I phone away! BB needs to do something! Lost ten year customer.
    09-30-12 10:36 AM
    I have had my HTC Incredible for about a week now, and I really am enjoying it. I used Android back in the Motorola Devour/HTC Eris days, and things have changed a lot. I wanted to try something different, and this is it.

I am gonna be picking up a Motorola Droid Pro here in a bit, and am super excited about that. The physical keyboard is just calling my name. I am having all kinds of issues trying to type on this DInc.
    hondateg91 and phonejunky like this.
    10-01-12 10:22 PM
    Yeah, My work just switched me from a year old Curve 3G to a new Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G (on Sprint).. I love the phone.. the wife has a Skyrocket on AT&T and she loves her phone as well (came from a 9800)..
    I just got my epic a month ago and i bought my girl a wildfire s on us cellular i love my screen i had a ns4g before this i love the ease customization and flexibility of Android

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch using Tapatalk 2
    10-11-12 04:01 PM
    I just got a galaxy SIII today and it's awesome! Coming from a 9930...my 9930's hardware went bad so I had to change right away and opted for this phone. So far the only thing I liked better was email folders and the way it separated them out on bb.
    11-29-12 05:02 PM
    Yeah I just got me a nexus for free today lol enjoying lte here in Chicago

Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
    12-01-12 02:21 AM
    I got an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III last Friday and retired my T-Mobile BlackBerry Bold 9780. I am guessing there will be many Bold 9780 converts who are just getting through their two-year contract period. Miss the physical keyboard and MemoPad. That's about it!
    12-01-12 01:19 PM
    Just got my first Android phone Nexus 4, spent the whole day messing about with it, too many options lol the only thing I'm not liking is the lack of push email on my hotmail accounts other than that I like it.
    12-07-12 06:24 PM
    Got the SIII for Black Friday to replace the Photon I'd been using since March. Had to migrate some phones, the Style was getting waaaay too slow to serve on the front line, so the older son got the Moto and I grabbed an SIII. Still have an upgrade coming in March, so that is available for a BB 10 device, so we'll see how it works out. The SIII is a good phone, though.
    12-08-12 12:16 AM
863 ... 32333435
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD