Funny how this time last year we were discussing dual core devices. The next generation of Android devices will be that much more awesome.

10-18-11 06:12 PM
    crazy! Can't wait to give one of those devices with this built into it. It should be something else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 06:32 PM
    Forget the Tegra 3...the Qualcomm S4 and the TI OMAP 5 should blow everything out of the water come next year.
    10-19-11 12:04 AM
    And then Samsung will make their chip that out performs them all as usual.
    10-19-11 12:30 AM
    And then Samsung will make their chip that out performs them all as usual.
    Samsung hasn't said anything about moving to a new architecture. Both TI and Qualcomm are moving to the Cortex A15 (Qualcomm is technically called Krait since its modified) with their next generation of chips. The A15 is 30-50% faster than the A9.
    10-19-11 01:06 AM
    Its rumored that the transformer 2 will release Nov 7 sporting the new tegra 3 chip.
    10-19-11 01:12 AM
    Samsung hasn't said anything about moving to a new architecture. Both TI and Qualcomm are moving to the Cortex A15 (Qualcomm is technically called Krait since its modified) with their next generation of chips. The A15 is 30-50% faster than the A9.
    Samsung has been producing the best chips for a while now. I don't need to hear an official announcement to know that Samsung will have something competitive. It is expected. It been like that for at least 2-3 years now.
    10-19-11 01:42 AM
    All that horse power won't mean squat if embedded driver writing quality hits the crapper. I've seen behemoths throughout the computer industry who flake because their people can't write good device drivers to save their lives. It's even more crucial in the world of embedded computing, since things are that much closer between the OS, and hardware.

There's an up, and down side to open source. In the Linux world, the open source alternative to Nvidia's proprietary binary drivers still haven't caught up to its officially sanctioned counterparts. It does help to have a good amount of financial backing (which Nvidia does). But, if you take a look at the likes of ATI/AMD (who still can't write reference drivers to save their lives) all that hardware being boasted is being put to waste because A) their drivers fail to OPTIMIZE the hardware in relation to the OS in question; B) the drivers end up buggy, and thus crash the system at times; or both.
    10-19-11 02:06 AM
    HTC all the way for me. My next upgrade will likely be to an HTC phone with the S4 quad core chip.
    10-19-11 06:32 AM
    Funny how this time last year we were discussing dual core devices. The next generation of Android devices will be that much more awesome.

Just think..by the time these are mainstream, RIM will just be coming out with their new dual core phones! All the competitors must be shaking in their boots..
    10-19-11 08:25 AM
    Software is more important than the amount of cores on a device, especially on a smartphone.

We also have to wait and see how efficient these chips will be. Battery tech development needs to improve as well.

I am definitely excited to see how these chips perform in devices, especially now that ICS will be coming out and should be able to support it (if their next chip is quad core). We all know Apple will support it. RIM? I don't expect to see a dual core+ device until next summer.
    10-19-11 10:19 AM
    Software is more important than the amount of cores on a device, especially on a smartphone.
    Good luck convincing the android crowd on that one...
    10-19-11 02:20 PM
    Good luck convincing the android crowd on that one...
    Haha yea I know. Some see more cores like it adds size to their package. Some will never learn.
    10-19-11 03:39 PM
    All that horse power won't mean squat if embedded driver writing quality hits the crapper. I've seen behemoths throughout the computer industry who flake because their people can't write good device drivers to save their lives. It's even more crucial in the world of embedded computing, since things are that much closer between the OS, and hardware.
    That's definitely true and it's something that plagues the Snapdragon chips ... the drivers are not written all that well. Qualcomm says they did a lot of work on the drivers with their Krait based chips and that the Adreno 225 should outperform the PowerVR SGX543MP2 (A5 GPU, currently the best) by a good margin. Anand Tech has a good write up on it.

Edit: They updated the article. Says it should perform similarly, but still be able to outperform the SGX543MP2 in a GLBenchmark.

AnandTech - Qualcomm's New Snapdragon S4: MSM8960 & Krait Architecture Explored
    Last edited by Karmaloop; 10-19-11 at 04:35 PM.
    10-19-11 04:31 PM
    Haha yea I know. Some see more cores like it adds size to their package. Some will never learn.
    But, but, dual core or I won't touch it! Even if nothing utilizes it in any way shape or form! My benchmark score is higher!
    10-19-11 04:59 PM
    Load balancing is where multiprocessing shines. I've run dual processors for years, and won't run uniprocessor systems anymore. Phones are the exception because there isnt much multitasking taking place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-20-11 01:09 AM
    But, but, dual core or I won't touch it! Even if nothing utilizes it in any way shape or form! My benchmark score is higher!
    It will only get worse with ICS now that multicore processing is supported. The spec race is about to get even more ridiculous than it already is.
    10-20-11 01:13 AM
    It will only get worse with ICS now that multicore processing is supported. The spec race is about to get even more ridiculous than it already is.
    Too bad they cant apply it to something more useful like battery tech....

Sent from Tapatalk on my Playbook
    10-20-11 01:53 AM

Agreed. Everyone can benefit from that.
    10-20-11 02:04 AM

Well processors have come a long way. I think as I look at battery university, there might be an inherent limitation to lithium ion when it comes to ramping up run time, and maintaining longevity over the long haul

10-20-11 03:18 PM
    Well processors have come a long way. I think as I look at battery university, there might be an inherent limitation to lithium ion when it comes to ramping up run time, and maintaining longevity over the long haul

A large portion of battery optimization isn't hardware related though. But everyone cares more about apps that constantly poll, UI graphics, phone thinness (which is hardware related), etc. So battery is a fairly bottom barrel priority.
    10-20-11 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD