I'm thinking of hitting up eBay, but being that I'm from Canada I really dont know if just having 2G speeds is worth buying the damn phone.

Does anybody know if 3G will ever work on this phone in the north here?
    01-20-10 10:42 AM
    to be quite honest no phone is worth 600 dollars.
    01-20-10 12:00 PM
    No it isn't worth that price. It's a good device, but not worth that right now. If you are on the same bands as AT&T then it won't work. You would have to wait until they came out with a compatible version. It's hardware specific.

If you could get some decent money for your current device then the offset would be worth it but other than that don't get it yet.
    01-20-10 12:25 PM
    It's not worth it, no way. And you don't have 3G? Forget it. Verizon's throwing in an Eris with a new Droid now, see if you can get an Eris cheap. It's not that much different than the Nexus if you don't have to have the 3G GSM thing. It's a 3G CDMA phone.
    01-20-10 12:49 PM
    I couldn't see myself paying that kind of cash for a device that isn't really any better than devices that you can get from third party retailers for free. I will take a free Bold, Eris, Storm 2, Tour, Pure, or Moment before I pay $600 for a Nexus One.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-10 07:08 PM
    Went from the BB 9000 to the Nexus and it was the best move I ever made.

The Nexus smokes my 3G 9000, even though my Nexus only runs on AT&T's EDGE. Still it's faster...much faster.

Truth be told, it's the best 570 bucks I ever spent on a mobile device. I feel like I got MORE than my money's worth.

I'd forgotten what it's like to use a mobile device without the need for an hourglass or battery pulls. I never thought I would leave BlackBerry and unless RIM ever comes up with something VERY different regarding UI and OS, I'm gone for good.
    01-20-10 07:18 PM
    Went from the BB 9000 to the Nexus and it was the best move I ever made.

The Nexus smokes my 3G 9000, even though my Nexus only runs on AT&T's EDGE. Still it's faster...much faster.

Truth be told, it's the best 570 bucks I ever spent on a mobile device. I feel like I got MORE than my money's worth.

I'd forgotten what it's like to use a mobile device without the need for an hourglass or battery pulls. I never thought I would leave BlackBerry and unless RIM ever comes up with something VERY different regarding UI and OS, I'm gone for good.

Sounds like a good move.

I thought maybe google put some restrictions on the phone so you cannot use 3G unless you are with T-MOBILE right now, it seems like that won't be removed, so is it maybe better to wait for a different version of the phone to come out for AT&T so I can get 3G speeds in Canada

01-21-10 12:42 PM
    Sounds like a good move.

I thought maybe google put some restrictions on the phone so you cannot use 3G unless you are with T-MOBILE right now, it seems like that won't be removed, so is it maybe better to wait for a different version of the phone to come out for AT&T so I can get 3G speeds in Canada

Yeah, if 3G on AT&T is a dealbreaker for you, then yes I would wait.

That said, it runs great on EDGE. I was frankly shocked. For example, using the built in Google Navigation(voice turn by turn) on EDGE, it downloads directions, maps, etc.., without issue. Web browsing is slwer than wifi, but compared to my Bold on 3G, the Nexus on EDGE runs MUCH faster.

But again, if 3G is important to you just on principle, then yes waiting would be best. I anticipate a 3G AT&T capable version at some point. I too will move to that device when it becomes available. Right now though EDGE+wifi is working great for me.
    01-21-10 12:55 PM
    to be quite honest no phone is worth 600 dollars.
    $600? Unless there are real diamonds in it or made of platinum, there is no way someone should even think about paying that!
    01-21-10 01:17 PM
    $600? Unless there are real diamonds in it or made of platinum, there is no way someone should even think about paying that!
    You gotta remember though, what 600 bucks is to one person, means something entirely different to someone else.

600 bucks to me is NOTHING for something as cool as a smartphone...any smartphone, so long as it does what I want it to do, particularly the Nexus One.

But yeah if you're someone who 600 bucks means a lot, I wouldn't worry about the Nexus, or any other high end smartphone.
    01-21-10 01:31 PM
    If you want a high-end Android smartphone that will work on ATT/Rogers 3G, you might look into the Acer Liquid/A1. Similar specs as the Nexus 1, but different 3G bands. Last I looked ebay had some for similar prices as the N1, if not a little less. Otherwise, wait till it arrives officially on ATT, or wait for the SE xperia X10.
    01-23-10 04:40 AM
    If you want a high-end Android smartphone that will work on ATT/Rogers 3G, you might look into the Acer Liquid/A1. Similar specs as the Nexus 1, but different 3G bands. Last I looked ebay had some for similar prices as the N1, if not a little less. Otherwise, wait till it arrives officially on ATT, or wait for the SE xperia X10.

It says its running Android 1.6, is is possible to update to 2.0 ? or even 2.1 when it comes out without any funny "rooting"

btw thanks I never even heard of that acer phone
    01-23-10 07:39 PM
    Gotta get multi touch and a few more bugs out to see paying $600...
    01-23-10 10:23 PM
    Im not sure if its worth it on edge :\ I've got a N1 on edge and its slow and it pisses me off how much faster i can run when it can breathe internet! if this helps, the n1's navigation works well on edge and that in itself is almost worth about a 400$ gps? maybe a little less but the maps get updated and theres traffic too and great google searches for POI
    01-26-10 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD