Engadget is reporting that it'll be out by the end of next week, and others are saying that it'll launch in April with a surprise. April makes sense, however, I don't know what the surprise could be.

I have 3 guesses, and only 2 make sense:
    1. World phone (CDMA + GSM)
    2. Sold in VZW stores as well as on google.com/phone
    3. The HTC Incredible is being launched alongside the N1

I think 2&3 are more likely than 1.
    03-29-10 07:15 AM
    Im thinking VZ will not have the phone at the stores. Tmo does not and i am sure this will not go well with them. IMO the N1 will continue to be sold online only.
    03-29-10 07:53 AM
    I'm going to agree with the OP and agree on hi 2&3 guess....
    03-29-10 07:59 AM
    makes sense that it would be released next week considering the buy one get one free is ending it 3 days. lets wait and see what happens.
    03-29-10 08:43 AM
    Thought of another possible "surprise": Flash support. My friends at GDC reported seeing Droids and N1's with Flash 10.1 at some exhibitors' booths, and it was expected that Flash would roll out within the next few months...
    03-29-10 09:45 AM
    My thoughts, feel free to flame.

I hope that the "update" is a trackpad. That would be something that would be actually highly useful in the phone. From what I have heard the trackball is nothing more than an a blinky light. Although useful during holiday season, useless the remaining 11months.

Next, I have been an indirect with Verizon for 3 years now. It has been my experience that Verizon launches almost all there phones for as long as I can recall on Tuesday's. I might be off the it being a fact of majority, but I as far as I can recall it is true. That being said, if the phone is out in april it wont be this week at all. It could be the 6th. which would mean if ordered first day, it would be in your hands for the weekend.

There is no need for verizon to wait for the BOGO sale to stop before releasing new devices. When the Storm2 came out for Verizon all the other BB's were BOGO, but storm2 wasnt. Now it is, and the price just dropped to the "magical" 99.99. Which was nearly a 50% price difference. So it just might be that they are going to do something soon.

Last, one of several issues that I was TOLD keeping the iphone from verizon was distrubution. Although I was always told that the biggest issue was money, distrubution was explained to me by my D.M. as a top 3 issue. Remember that Apple stores had the exculsive for the first 6months of sales. Could it be that Verizon has learned from its mistake with the iphone, and will let google handle all the sales? Or will it be similar to the iphone that google/phone gets the first 6 months. Which is why the verizon training is needed?
    03-29-10 10:07 AM
    I have verizon. Should I jumpship and get N1 instead of keeping my tour? I really like the qwerty keyboard on tour. How is texting on N1?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-10 10:13 AM
    I hope that the "update" is a trackpad.
    This... I hope it's this. lol That trackball is the only real weakpoint of the N1 for me, but the issue with putting a trackpad in it is... what would they do about the notification blinking? They currently use the trackball for that function.
    03-29-10 10:22 AM
    I have verizon. Should I jumpship and get N1 instead of keeping my tour? I really like the qwerty keyboard on tour. How is texting on N1?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

You are asking a loaded question regarding the Nexus. If you are happy with your carrier, no way should you leave.
    This idea of jumping ship to get the magical Nexus is not that smart of an idea as well. Go to Verizon, get a Motorola Droid, install Cynogen 2.1 and there you have the Nexus experience. All in all, if you have Verizon and have an upgrade coming, sure, go with the Nexus. If you have the Motorola Droid and don't see yourself using the physical keyboard that much, go with the Nexus as well, otherwise, there is no real difference in how it operates.

If you wonder about texting, go to Verizon and put the Motorola droid in landscape mode and there you have the Nexus typing experience.

It's simple people, this is not rocket science.
    03-29-10 10:28 AM
    I'm thinking this may ship with the HTC Sense UI, and possibly Android 2.2...hahah....ok, maybe I'm dreaming, but that would be a nice surprise!
    03-29-10 10:29 AM
    personally, since i already have a droid, i'm just not interested in the nexus. it's basically the same experience as the droid without a slider. if i didn't already have a droid i'd check out the nexus though.

but the phone that really whets my appetite is the incredible. it may end up being a better all around smart phone than the nexus. same form factor, same processor, optical trackpad, more internal memory, better camera, and sense ui. all of that on top of android 2.1 just seems like butter to me.

the only other phone i would try would be the htc desire since it's very similar to the incredible, but on tmobile. the only plus about tmo is you can do data and voice at the same time. having been on tmo before i have serious concerns about their 3g coverage though, not sure i could give them a shot again.
    03-29-10 10:51 AM
    You are asking a loaded question regarding the Nexus. If you are happy with your carrier, no way should you leave.
    This idea of jumping ship to get the magical Nexus is not that smart of an idea as well. Go to Verizon, get a Motorola Droid, install Cynogen 2.1 and there you have the Nexus experience. All in all, if you have Verizon and have an upgrade coming, sure, go with the Nexus. If you have the Motorola Droid and don't see yourself using the physical keyboard that much, go with the Nexus as well, otherwise, there is no real difference in how it operates.

If you wonder about texting, go to Verizon and put the Motorola droid in landscape mode and there you have the Nexus typing experience.

It's simple people, this is not rocket science.
    First off, I never asked a loaded question. A loaded question is with certain ill-defined presuppositions, which I did not make. Second, I never claimed to be jumpingship regarding carriers. Verizon is supposed to be getting N1 soon. I was just wondering, for those that have N1, do you prefer it over a QWERTY keyboard and/or Tour in general.
    03-29-10 10:55 AM
    Yeah at first it was the 23 of this month and that came and went now estimating I think the end of April is it and that the big surprise will be either 2 or 3
    03-29-10 10:59 AM
    I was just wondering, for those that have N1, do you prefer it over a QWERTY keyboard and/or Tour in general.
    those are loaded questions. the tour is a completely different phone than the nexus or any android phone. i have a tour and droid so i can attest to the huge differences. it gets into the realm of do you prefer the blackberry os to the android os (beat to death, and highly opinionated). same goes for the keyboard question, qwerty vs touchscreen (also beat to death and highly opinionated).
    03-29-10 11:06 AM
    I'm thinking this may ship with the HTC Sense UI, and possibly Android 2.2...hahah....ok, maybe I'm dreaming, but that would be a nice surprise!
    I agree with the Sense UI thing here. I think that's the surprise. We've already seen leaked info on the internal VZW systems that showed the N1 having Sense UI and people thought it was either a misprint or that they were mistaken/talking about the Incredible. I think it's Sense UI. I'm willing to bet Verizon saw a lot more people liking the UI on the Eris then the Droid and that's why they made the request from Google.

What would be nice is if it can be turned off and on so each user could customize their phone how they want it.
    03-29-10 11:13 AM
    I agree with the Sense UI thing here. I think that's the surprise. We've already seen leaked info on the internal VZW systems that showed the N1 having Sense UI and people thought it was either a misprint or that they were mistaken/talking about the Incredible. I think it's Sense UI. I'm willing to bet Verizon saw a lot more people liking the UI on the Eris then the Droid and that's why they made the request from Google.

What would be nice is if it can be turned off and on so each user could customize their phone how they want it.
    The UI itself can be switched to the standard 2.1 UI, but the system gets bogged down with additional Sense processes running in the background.
    03-29-10 11:45 AM
    Would the nexus still be a google phone with the google experience if it has sense on it? That seems to be reserved more for the htc marketing. A nexus with sense and the incrdeible is virtually the same thing. How would they differentiate the product aside from the track pad? Doesn't make a lot of sense (no pun lol) to me to do it that way, but who knows.
    03-29-10 12:00 PM

+1 I hope this will be true
    03-29-10 12:01 PM
    Gah I miss my Android a lot and needless to say the waiting game for the tour2/bold is getting old and we all know its going to be the same old **** as the last blackberry. Android is fast and sexy, thats what I'm looking for.

I hope this nexus one comes to vzw because I don't want to get the moto droid with it's pointless keyboard.
    03-29-10 12:12 PM
    No way is it getting a trackpad. I actually much more prefer the trackball for notification purposes and at some point we'll definitely be able to customize the colors without having to root. I think people are looking into this "surprise" too much. It's not going to be hardware in my opinion. Many of you are forgetting about Skype, which they announced it'd be available on 9 models, but only listed 7. I'm thinking the incredible and N1 are the other ones.

My two theories are Flash, and/or Skype built in.
    03-29-10 12:25 PM
    I agree with the Sense UI thing here. I'm willing to bet Verizon saw a lot more people liking the UI on the Eris then the Droid and that's why they made the request from Google.
    An N1 with Sense UI would be fantastic!!!

many months ago, I wandered over to VZW to check out the Droid....as I have been getting more and more frustrated with my Storm 1. The Droid seemed rather bulky and uninteresting (much like the storm 1.) Well, I grabbed the handset next to the droid and it happened to be the HTC Droid Eris. Wow!! The Sense UI on the Eris was amazing. The phone was interesting, the UI was intuitive....it just felt like "this is how a smart phone is supposed to be." After that experience, I have never even given the Moto Droid a second thought............and I have been waiting for a new HTC Android phone to hit VZW. With the N1 and the incredible coming soon, it looks like I'll have me answer soon enough. As much as I like the look of the N1, the Sense UI of the Incredible would win out for me. If the N1 gets Sense, I think I'll be back on the N1 train.
    03-29-10 01:51 PM
    I agree with TurboCam. We've had my wife's Droid for 3 months and I'm not gonna get one myself. I actually prefer my BB's OS now. The best thing about the Droid is the big screen and messaging is good as is typing. But the Droid's camera sux, the color stinks and the Gallery makes it hard to organize stuff. It's like 2 steps to get anywhere on the thing. The Eris has a better OS but the specs and battery life stink. The N1 will not be in Vzn stores, I have it on pretty good information. The Incredible may be the real deal, we shall see. I will wait it out.
    03-29-10 02:50 PM
    Highly doubt that the N1's surprise is Sense UI. The fact that the HTC Desire, is the N1 but with an optical trackpad and Sense UI just disproves that theory. Also the N1 is meant to be the Google phone, and get updates pushed out straight from Google when they are released, something that Sense UI cannot get as HTC has to incorporate them into their UI.
    03-29-10 03:41 PM
    Highly doubt that the N1's surprise is Sense UI. The fact that the HTC Desire, is the N1 but with an optical trackpad and Sense UI just disproves that theory. Also the N1 is meant to be the Google phone, and get updates pushed out straight from Google when they are released, something that Sense UI cannot get as HTC has to incorporate them into their UI.
    You said it!

I wouldn't want Sense UI on it at all. Not because I don't like Sense, I actually LOVED it on my Hero, but because it seems every time these phone manufacturers layer their UI widgets on top of vanilla Android it causes major delays in updating the OS.

I think the Hero is still stuck at 1.5!
    03-29-10 07:32 PM
    You said it!

I wouldn't want Sense UI on it at all. Not because I don't like Sense, I actually LOVED it on my Hero, but because it seems every time these phone manufacturers layer their UI widgets on top of vanilla Android it causes major delays in updating the OS.

I think the Hero is still stuck at 1.5!
    That's where this comes into play... Exclusive: Android Froyo to take a serious shot at stemming platform fragmentation -- Engadget
    03-29-10 10:22 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD