This morning I realized that we were at day 7. And that means that unihertz has made official its new release, titan pocket. I have a lot of hype, since I have seen that the aesthetics and size are very similar to the classic bb. honestly, if it has some good features I'm going to buy it. What is your opinion?

Posted via CB10
    the_boon and stephenabm like this.
    04-07-21 10:37 AM
    That Unihertz knows how to build the tease....

Does look good, but in the end a lot will ride on how well that keyboard works... but things like specs and price will matter too.
    stephenabm and Raptowny like this.
    04-07-21 10:59 AM
    I like that they got the square and triangle keys integrated into the keyboard. if BlackBerry had done that with the K1 and K2 they could have had more screen real estate. that bar on my K1 is about the same height as 2 rows of buttons.

screen dimensions and internal specs will help me decide if I go for one. I do kinda regret not keeping the Titan I bought.
    04-07-21 12:46 PM
    I felt in love with what I saw on the release video. But I'm also hyped with the new blackberry 5g. But... if they still use the look like the key2, I will probably get the unihertz. People is going back to smaller phones. You can see it on the new iPhone mini. Let's see what happens, but I hope we will get a review from the unihertz titan pocket soon.

Posted via CB10
    stephenabm likes this.
    04-07-21 01:26 PM
    I felt in love with what I saw on the release video. But I'm also hyped with the new blackberry 5g. But... if they still use the look like the key2, I will probably get the unihertz. People is going back to smaller phones. You can see it on the new iPhone mini. Let's see what happens, but I hope we will get a review from the unihertz titan pocket soon.

Posted via CB10
    No specs on the Titan Pocket... but a phone that probable won't be shipped till fall of the year.... I hope it's a 5G phone as well. I know it's not necessary, especially if this is another $200 pre-order phone.
    stephenabm likes this.
    04-07-21 03:48 PM
    People is going back to smaller phones. You can see it on the new iPhone mini.
    I'm glad Unihertz is making a smaller PKB as it rounds out the available devices and I'll definitely buy one but there is no mainstream small phone trend. The iPhone Mini is a failure. Production slashed and fees paid to Samsung for missing targets.

https://pocketnow.com/apple-reduce-i...-than-expected
    stephenabm likes this.
    04-07-21 05:48 PM
    I'm glad Unihertz is making a smaller PKB as it rounds out the available devices and I'll definitely buy one but there is no mainstream small phone trend. The iPhone Mini is a failure. Production slashed and fees paid to Samsung for missing targets.

https://pocketnow.com/apple-reduce-i...-than-expected
    Quite something when a 5.4" device (same as Priv) is tanking in 2020/21.

It generally seems that anything under 6" is laughable, and 6.5" is expected.
    stephenabm likes this.
    04-07-21 06:53 PM
    Quite something when a 5.4" device (same as Priv) is tanking in 2020/21.

It generally seems that anything under 6" is laughable, and 6.5" is expected.
    If it had a better battery, might be a different story. That seems to be what gets criticized about that model, smaller screen size notwithstanding.

Plus, it's an Apple. Pricey. The 11 is cheaper with a better battery, the full sized next model up is like 100 more and has a better battery. Would be curious to see how a smaller Android model does.

I can't believe 5.4" is considered small now.
    bh7171 and stephenabm like this.
    04-07-21 07:19 PM
    If it had a better battery, might be a different story. That seems to be what gets criticized about that model, smaller screen size notwithstanding.

Plus, it's an Apple. Pricey. The 11 is cheaper with a better battery, the full sized next model up is like 100 more and has a better battery. Would be curious to see how a smaller Android model does.

I can't believe 5.4" is considered small now.
    People don't want small phones. If they did then manufacturers would manufacture them. Did the LG G8 sell? Nope. iPhone Mini? Nope. No smaller device that I can think of has any mainstream audience.

I myself have one if the tiny Palm phones and am considering a Jelly 2 and I'll definitely get the Titan Pocket. But that's not normal.
    04-07-21 08:13 PM
    No smaller device that I can think of has any mainstream audience.
    Maybe iPhone SE - that sold reasonably well didn't it?
    04-07-21 08:18 PM
    Maybe iPhone SE - that sold reasonably well didn't it?
    Not really but it doesn't have the pressure of parts commitments either.

Regardless, smaller devices always face a perception expectation that smaller devices should cost less when they can actually cost more to produce.
    04-07-21 08:23 PM
    Not really but it doesn't have the pressure of parts commitments either.

Regardless, smaller devices always face a perception expectation that smaller devices should cost less when they can actually cost more to produce.
    I think Omdia has them at 24+ million for 2020 - that's a fair bit. Maybe not as much as others but still........

Some time ago (more than a year) when the SE was announced, I predicted here on CB that people would buy the SE (maybe even me, lol) because of price etc and they sold well. About 19-20% of iPhone numbers as it turned out. That's pretty good for a small phone imo.
    bh7171 and elfabio80 like this.
    04-07-21 08:26 PM
    I think Omdia has them at 24+ million for 2020 - that's a fair bit. Maybe not as much as others but still........
    Yes. It seems it accounted for about 24 million out of the 195 million total iPhones sold.
    04-07-21 08:40 PM
    Pretty sure it accounted for 8.7 million out of the 195 million total iPhones sold.
    https://wccftech.com/iphone-11-iphon...g-phones-2020/

It's really a great value for an iPhone imo but most don't want that small screen. Fantastic chip in there tho for the money.
    04-07-21 08:43 PM
    i dont know i bought 5 iphone SEs lol
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-07-21 08:52 PM
    Point is, there is probably some market out there for a smaller phone. If your name is Apple and you can make a phone with a top notch processor and keep it under or at $400, Bob's your uncle.
    howarmat likes this.
    04-07-21 08:56 PM
    https://wccftech.com/iphone-11-iphon...g-phones-2020/

It's really a great value for an iPhone imo but most don't want that small screen. Fantastic chip in there tho for the money.
    You got me before I finished editing my post. I was initially quoting the wrong phone. Lol.
    04-07-21 09:01 PM
    You got me before I finished editing my post. I was initially quoting the wrong phone. Lol.
    No problem - I thought you may have seen wrong info - it's extremely rare for you to be wrong.

Now if only I could get an AMEN from Chuck, lol!
    04-07-21 09:14 PM
    Point is, there is probably some market out there for a smaller phone. If your name is Apple and you can make a phone with a top notch processor and keep it under or at $400, Bob's your uncle.
    That's a good point and I forgot about the new SE. I wonder if it's success was more about price than size. Wasn't it largely a rehash of earlier iPhones? But I think it remains true that there is no small phone trend if we can only come up with one example.
    04-07-21 09:18 PM
    I wonder if it's success was more about price than size.
    I think that's likely the case. At $399 it was too good to pass.
    04-07-21 09:20 PM
    For slab typing, bigger is better, for me. PKB is a different animal than vkb... Adding a tactile 3rd dimension makes compact pkb more friendly to MY thumb, at least. In fact, my fastest ever wpm is still achieved on my smallest ever handset... A pkb 9650.

My fastest ever slab wpm is achieved on my huge Dtek60. About 40% of my typical Bold wpm. Compactness proves MOST compatible with PKB, imo.
    04-07-21 09:34 PM
    I think that's likely the case. At $399 it was too good to pass.
    The reasonable price was precisely why I bought one for my wife. It was about CDN$700 with enough storage. A decent phone would have an SD card slot, but I digress...
    brookie229 likes this.
    04-07-21 09:45 PM
    The reasonable price was precisely why I bought one for my wife. It was about CDN$700 with enough storage. A decent phone would have an SD card slot, but I digress...
    What is enough storage?

I figured my wife would opt for the SE for the button she is use to..... but she wanted bigger more than the button. Did get her the 128GB version and we have a family shared upgraded iCloud storage account. I don't miss SD Cards.
    04-08-21 07:04 AM
    What is enough storage?
    In her case, 128GB. I don't keep a lot of photos on my phone (partly due to the potato-cam), so I manage nicely with 32GB.

I like SD cards because they're easy to transfer from phone to phone (as long as you don't "adopt" storage on an Android) and they're quick and easy to back up if you use Linux.
    04-08-21 08:45 AM
    In her case, 128GB. I don't keep a lot of photos on my phone (partly due to the potato-cam), so I manage nicely with 32GB.

I like SD cards because they're easy to transfer from phone to phone (as long as you don't "adopt" storage on an Android) and they're quick and easy to back up if you use Linux.
    That's what I mean... we always seem to be needing more. At one time 64MB of storage on a phone was enough. I feel that 128GB is the sweet spot for my and my wife's usage when combined with the cloud.

While I use iCloud for backups and photo storage. I also use OneDrive that allows any device I'm using - laptop, desktop, tablet and phone to access the files that I'm using at any time from anywhere. I do understand the advantages of and SD Card for some. Especially if you have a library of large video files that you like to access, as the cloud can be slow for those - but that's in the past for me anyway.
    pdr733 likes this.
    04-08-21 09:44 AM
70 123