It's basically Classic sized but thicker. With a Q sized screen. Quite compact by "modern" comparisons. Lol. I'm, personally, happy with it so far.

Yes, I'd prefer a 9900/Q footprint. With 9900 UX. Or even Classic UX to coordinate with its Classic footprint. ?

I've, personally, always viewed Classic as oversized to a fault impacting its wpm potential. Classic's thin-ness also negatively impacts its wpm potential. Imo. I've never, personally, exceeded 85wpm on Classic. Mostly because of its too large, too thin, footprint. For MY thumb. Possible a thicker "Classic footprint" Pocket might improve on that? Possible? Lol.

Classic has frequently found home in my right hand, simultaneously opposite Bold in left hand. For "double fisted" collaboration that only two single hand friendly handsets can participate. Lol. Classic has proven most single handed friendly handset since Bold, imo. Despite its oversize. Thanks to its ToolBelt/TrackPad.

In contrast, I've achieved 95 wpm on Q10 but never adequately made single handed peace with its UX. Despite Q's superbly comfortable (9900 footprint) compactness. Q's tiny screen UX simply demanded both hands frequently enough that its 10 wpm advantage over Classic couldn't adequately compensate for Q's tiny screen UX handicaps. Imo. Words per day ultimately prove more relevant than words per minute. For MY use case. Fwiw.

Yet, Classic's UX superiority had NOthing to do with its larger 3.5" screen! It had EVERYthing to do with its TrackPad! Well implemented track pointing can place distantly located links, commands, and selections within superbly comfortable reach of a lone thumb! No matter HOW huge, or tiny, a display might be!

Reality is, we're stuck with the all-knowing-omnipotence-Googleverse of Android. An omnipotence that blessed 8.1 with some mouse pointing grace. No clue if that made it to sweeter food groups? Lol.

Fascinated to explore Pocket's interpretation of that Googleverse. Lol.
    bh7171 likes this.
    05-05-21 06:00 AM
    Even if they call it Pocket, it looks still huge in those hands.
    The model in the clip looks like he or she has small thin fingers and thumbs.

Very narrow fingers almost alien like.

Unlike mine big fat thumbs on big hands.

Just looked weird and throws off sense of scale for me.
    05-05-21 06:08 AM
    the dude or dudette hand model they used has slender dainty hands.

unlike my spider long and fat fingers/thumbs I cannot get a sense of scale from the video

and I would never hold a phone the way that person does... looks awkward.

one handed demonstration needs to occur in their next video... a selling feature lacking with this hand model
    05-05-21 04:58 PM
    the dude or dudette hand model they used has slender dainty hands.

unlike my spider long and fat fingers/thumbs I cannot get a sense of scale from the video

and I would never hold a phone the way that person does... looks awkward.

one handed demonstration needs to occur in their next video... a selling feature lacking with this hand model
    It has exactly the same dimensions as a Classic, except 70% thicker and 25% heavier.
    05-05-21 05:11 PM
    Users with smaller hands may prove a likely market?

Absolutely, hands down (pun intended lol), THE fastest typist I've ever even heard of possesses the smallest hands of my crew. And the longest nails! Nails that her then young daughter once enjoyed painting some fabulous tiny art onto! Ftm. Lol. One hand at a time because, as with most of the crew, her other hand was typically ready to keep client plants producing. An exceptional engineering talent also in constant 24/7 demand. A personality trait I consciously sought while assembling my team, so long ago.

That small handed coworker is truly world record candidate on just about ANYthing... iPhone to Priv... Even old Underwood mechanical tw. She sounds almost like a dot matrix printer on her PS2 style "KlicKey" custom desktop KB! The only customized KlicKey in our office. Standard config didn't lift keys back up fast enough for her... Some brains are just wired that way. Lol. "KlicKey's" were "kwick lift" already! They're long gone, now. A relic of the clone days. Lol.

She influenced and coached my whole crew to maximize typing potential. Including myself but I'm still the slowest typist of that crew. Bold remains her fave, as with most of us.

She's planning to jump into the crowd fund for a Pocket. I'll loan/give her mine if I manage to out place her. If ANYone can coax insight into performance on it, she will.

Fat thumbed old codgers like me might also hope to benefit from compact Pocket. ?? Smaller PKB's have definitely proven faster under my fat thumb. Excited to try Pocket!
    bh7171 likes this.
    05-06-21 05:56 AM
    Today they replied that Pocket will have ir for remote control. Important thing for me because I never knew how good it is until I got used to it in my Xiaomi phones. Now I miss it almost every day, in my Titan.

Once again I need to repeat one thing. OMG, how good and nice it is to type on Classic's keyboard...

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 likes this.
    05-09-21 01:21 PM
    Today they replied that Pocket will have ir for remote control. Important thing for me because I never knew how good it is until I got used to it in my Xiaomi phones. Now I miss it almost every day, in my Titan.

Once again I need to repeat one thing. OMG, how good and nice it is to type on Classic's keyboard...

Posted via CB10
    Indeed. If OM or UniHertz can replicate the feel of this gem that would be a great feat in regards to the PKB. Truly a masterpiece of engineering.

Via my Cobalt Classic
    the_boon likes this.
    05-10-21 12:27 PM
    Indeed. If OM or UniHertz can replicate the feel of this gem that would be a great feat in regards to the PKB. Truly a masterpiece of engineering.

Via my Cobalt Classic
    I don’t really believe that it can truly be replicated without the economic resources spent to develop in the first place. For the budget, anything Unihertz puts out like original Titan should be appreciated since there doesn’t seem to be enough customers for the next level of device let alone TCL level or similar real OEM scale.
    05-10-21 01:19 PM
    I don’t really believe that it can truly be replicated without the economic resources spent to develop in the first place. For the budget, anything Unihertz puts out like original Titan should be appreciated since there doesn’t seem to be enough customers for the next level of device let alone TCL level or similar real OEM scale.
    I don't own an original Titan so I cannot speak to it. I have read up on it and reviews seem to be mixed. Some really like the PKB and using the device. Others not as much as the key "feel" and location of numbers was not what they hoped.

The original Titan was probably under development a couple years ago and I believe companies can improve. I suspect for UniHertz to move forward with a second Titan Pocket PKB device the size of the Classic there was probably some heady reverse engineering going on with former BlackBerry models. I know if I were going after a niche group of users I would do my best to replicate that which those former users enjoyed using. Of course without stepping on toes.

Surprisingly the recent Atom XL doesn't entirely get dismissed for its intent and rugged use cases in a few reviews I have read up on. UniHertz also appears to be a bit more of an organization than some have led others to believe selling their "niche" devices worldwide and through mainstream distribution channels.

05-10-21 04:19 PM
    I don't own an original Titan so I cannot speak to it. I have read up on it and reviews seem to be mixed. Some really like the PKB and using the device. Others not as much as the key "feel" and location of numbers was not what they hoped.

The original Titan was probably under development a couple years ago and I believe companies can improve. I suspect for UniHertz to move forward with a second Titan Pocket PKB device the size of the Classic there was probably some heady reverse engineering going on with former BlackBerry models. I know if I were going after a niche group of users I would do my best to replicate that which those former users enjoyed using. Of course without stepping on toes.

Surprisingly the recent Atom XL doesn't entirely get dismissed for its intent and rugged use cases in a few reviews I have read up on. UniHertz also appears to be a bit more of an organization than some have led others to believe selling their "niche" devices worldwide and through mainstream distribution channels.

Unihertz could not replicate a Classic even if they had the full specifications and shop drawings.

It's a question of resources and budget.

You can't build a Classic for $200. It cost Foxconn double that - and Unihertz is no Foxconn.
    05-10-21 04:33 PM

Any company that intends on being an online business should be able to develop a website that operates with basic functionality correlated to a budget that reflects their overall economic resources.

Unihertz and it’s supposed AGold parent company, don’t appear to have much of a budget for anything that would approach level of design or development resources. The Kickstarter method also limits development and design inputs. Can we really expect Unihertz to reverse engineer something that involved millions of CAD/USD forward engineered originally for pennies?

Shanghai Jin Communications Technology Ltd.

My point is that it’s not fair to Unihertz to expect too much from Unihertz based on their business model. They’re making an off the shelf components device, with extremely low volume expectations of which to spread very much development costs. A simple $10 per device over 10K devices is measly insignificant $100K CAD/USD which gets Unihertz what towards design and development?
    05-10-21 05:46 PM
    Unihertz could not replicate a Classic even if they had the full specifications and shop drawings.

It's a question of resources and budget.

You can't build a Classic for $200. It cost Foxconn double that - and Unihertz is no Foxconn.
    Sure seems like the Titan Pocket is intending to replicate the Classic in its looks, form factor and dimensions. Exterior length and width is almost spot on. Although it's @ 66 percent thicker and 19 percent heavier its construction is "rugged" and it houses a 38 percent larger battery.

My $$ is on the BlackBerry Classic as the obvious basis and foundation of design and construction for the Titan Pocket. And that the Classic's former or current users are their target market. Do you not agree?

The mobile handset market has matured so much that costs today are certainly not what they were prior. My Cobalt Classic didn't cost me $400 dollars new direct from shop BlackBerry when purchased.

This Titan Pocket mobile device utilizes metal, plastic, rubberized material, LCD screen, etc similar to the Classic. (No bleeding edge Amoled that is just about the only differentiator on a rectangle slab these days) I guess when UniHertz deconstructs one as they usually do (or Jerry Rig) we will then see additional physical similarities or not? Unihertz Titan Pocket Megathread-titan-pocket-pkb.jpgUnihertz Titan Pocket Megathread-titan-pocket.jpgUnihertz Titan Pocket Megathread-blackberry-classic-2-9981.0.0.jpg
    05-10-21 06:56 PM
    Sure seems like the Titan Pocket is intending to replicate the Classic in its looks, form factor and dimensions. Exterior length and width is almost spot on. Although it's @ 66 percent thicker and 19 percent heavier its construction is "rugged" and it houses a 38 percent larger battery.

My $$ is on the BlackBerry Classic as the obvious basis and foundation of design and construction for the Titan Pocket. And that the Classic's former or current users are their target market. Do you not agree?

The mobile handset market has matured so much that costs today are certainly not what they were prior. My Cobalt Classic didn't cost me $400 dollars new direct from shop BlackBerry when purchased.

This Titan Pocket mobile device utilizes metal, plastic, rubberized material, LCD screen, etc similar to the Classic. (No bleeding edge Amoled that is just about the only differentiator on a rectangle slab these days) I guess when UniHertz deconstructs one as they usually do (or Jerry Rig) we will then see additional physical similarities or not? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Titan Pocket PKB.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	450728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Titan Pocket.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	450729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackberry-classic-2-9981.0.0.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	450730
    As I've said before, "rugged" is a consequence of minimal resources and capability - not a feature (although they will tout it as such).

Crafting something like a Classic is well beyond them - particularly at their budget.
    05-10-21 06:58 PM
    Any company that intends on being an online business should be able to develop a website that operates with basic functionality correlated to a budget that reflects their overall economic resources.

Unihertz and it’s supposed AGold parent company, don’t appear to have much of a budget for anything that would approach level of design or development resources. The Kickstarter method also limits development and design inputs. Can we really expect Unihertz to reverse engineer something that involved millions of CAD/USD forward engineered originally for pennies?

Shanghai Jin Communications Technology Ltd.

My point is that it’s not fair to Unihertz to expect too much from Unihertz based on their business model. They’re making an off the shelf components device, with extremely low volume expectations of which to spread very much development costs. A simple $10 per device over 10K devices is measly insignificant $100K CAD/USD which gets Unihertz what towards design and development?
    The Titan Pocket looks like an improved product over the original Titan to me (except for the poorly used lower screen space). That UniHertz is now on its 6th Kickstarter project perhaps this is the future for niche user products? A Just In Time level of manufacturing based on demand and orders. I would be surprised to see OM (if it happens) be able to manufacture a ton of devices out of the gate. As we all know these companies are nothing Apple or Samsung so they have to think and operate differently. Doesn't mean they cannot or won't be successful for their target market.

If the Titan didn't make money or exceed their internal goals they certainly wouldn't be rolling out another PKB would they?
    the_boon likes this.
    05-10-21 07:04 PM
    As I've said before, "rugged" is a consequence of minimal resources and capability - not a feature (although they will tout it as such).

Crafting something like a Classic is well beyond them - particularly at their budget.
    The "rugged" aspect and aesthetics also likely insulate them from certain litigations.

I am all for more rugged phones personally. Everyone ends up trying to emulate rugged and protected with "mil spec" cases constructed out of similar materials anyway right??
    05-10-21 07:08 PM
    The "rugged" aspect and aesthetics also likely insulate them from certain litigations.

I am all for more rugged phones personally. Everyone ends up trying to emulate rugged and protected with "mil spec" cases constructed out of similar materials anyway right??
    Everyone?

90% of everyone I know use either no case or a thin, transparent gel case.
    05-10-21 07:16 PM
    Everyone?

90% of everyone I know use either no case or a thin, transparent gel case.
    Case companies like Otterbox, Spigen, etc seem to do quite well annually intending to make "premium" and fragile constructed devices more rugged and protected.

It doesn't matter what level of protection the point and argument is that most people immediately buy a case to "protect" their phone.
    05-10-21 07:21 PM
    Case companies like Otterbox, Spigen, etc seem to do quite well annually intending to make "premium" and fragile constructed devices more rugged and protected.

It doesn't matter what level of protection the point and argument is that most people immediately buy a case to "protect" their phone.
    Even the toughest cases come nowhere near the difference between the Classic and the Pocket, and they offer superior protection.
    05-10-21 07:32 PM
    I have to agree that we cannot expect a keyboard experience on the level of the Classic from a tiny kickstarter company's second PKB device.

However, if it's marginally better than the Titan and somewhere on the level of the Priv, that's good enough for me and I would consider it a success.
    05-10-21 08:13 PM
    I have to agree that we cannot expect a keyboard experience on the level of the Classic from a tiny kickstarter company's second PKB device.

However, if it's marginally better than the Titan and somewhere on the level of the Priv, that's good enough for me and I would consider it a success.
    Does the IP certification (BlackBerry has never offered on a PKB device) limit the Titan and soon to be produced Pocket Titan? (Some seem to like the device others not so much). Is that the trade off? My daughter has a Lenovo 500e Chromebook I picked up for her you can pour a cup of coffee on and it's fine. No issues with those keys and how it was designed to be rugged and functional.
    05-10-21 08:33 PM
    Does the IP certification (BlackBerry has never offered on a PKB device) limit the Titan and soon to be produced Pocket Titan? (Some seem to like the device others not so much). Is that the trade off? My daughter has a Lenovo 500e Chromebook I picked up for her you can pour a cup of coffee on and it's fine. No issues with those keys and how it was designed to be rugged and functional.
    They could just copy the Priv's unibody rubber mat keyboard design...but it seems like they already haven't, since it looks like it's individual keys with the frets in between the rows, like most BB's
    05-10-21 09:12 PM
    New T-Pocket video

What do you guys think of the weight balance/distribution on this thing?
    bh7171 and parryberry like this.
    05-10-21 10:08 PM
    New T-Pocket video

Definitely a thick device. The slight ingress at the sides makes me believe ergonomic feel in hand was a strong consideration @ the design stage. Wish they would demonstrate someone using one handed.
    Last edited by bh7171; 05-11-21 at 10:40 AM.
    05-10-21 10:31 PM
    New T-Pocket video

"Balance" appears encouragingly low? It does seem to maintain some inertial stability? Grasp seems secure, at least. Thanks partly to its thick footprint? Hard to infer much about its dynamic response at the slow type rates portrayed, tho.

Key press force might seem heavy but the typists are mashing keys to the bottom. Poor technique but vid might be targeting "consumer" level typists?

Resting the handset on round pencil should assist determining horizontal COG. If anyone gets their hands on one. Of course few will get used horizontally. lol.

I'm encouraged by the vid... fwiw.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-11-21 04:14 AM
    new update email
    Titan Pocket Rolling Out on 18th May!
    Dear Valued Users,

We are glad to announce that Kickstarter has approved our campaign and the Titan Pocket is ready to roll out.

Currently, we have made the plan to launch the campaign on 18th, May 2021.

The exact launch time will be released in our next email. Please stay in tune with us.

Please spread the word if you like our ideas

Unihertz believes that there should be different types of smartphones for all kinds of people. That’s why we are committed to making unique smartphones even just for minority groups. We hope people can have more diverse choices.

Thanks to the supports of 30K+ backers from over 70 countries, we are able to continue making these unique smartphones, and there are more and more regular users who can have different choices when all the smartphones became more and more alike.

If you like our ideas, please share them with your dear family and friends. With your supports, Unihertz can make Titan Pocket come true and can continue to create more unique smartphones.
    05-11-21 04:59 AM
3,710 ... 2021222324 ...