Is even monthly adequate? Once this month's vulnerabilities are patched, how long before some hardware &/or software "upgrade" re-exposes this &/or new exploits? Might more stable designs prove less susceptible zero day?
    No frequency will ever be adequate, from one perspective.
    11-24-21 06:41 PM
    "The exploit takes advantage of a series of four vulnerabilities discovered in MediaTek’s firmware, allowing any app to pass specific commands to the audio interface — in more plain terms, giving a malicious app the ability to do things with certain parts of the audio interface that it shouldn’t be able to."
    Yeah I read that and it doesn't really mean much.
    11-24-21 06:42 PM
    Well, ANY product subjected to perpetual redesign ultimately proves subject to perpetual learning curve.
    The need for perpetual updates. It's a good business model.
    bh7171 likes this.
    11-24-21 06:46 PM
    The need for perpetual updates. It's a good business model.
    You know that all this argument is disingenuous. If your beloved BB10 still existed and was continuously updated no one of the updates-are-overrated BB10 brigade would have any problem with it, quite the opposite, would be touted as an important security feature.
    I assume same is true for BBAndroid/KEY fans arguing similarly.
    11-24-21 07:26 PM
    You know that all this argument is disingenuous. If your beloved BB10 still existed and was continuously updated no one of the updates-are-overrated BB10 brigade would have any problem with it, quite the opposite, would be touted as an important security feature.
    If BB10 took off then BlackBerry and all the BB10 app developers would be in the perpetual update business model as well, and I wouldn't care for that either.
    11-24-21 07:45 PM
    ...I use non BlackBerry Android.
    11-24-21 08:08 PM
    Exactly…
    pdr733 likes this.
    11-25-21 10:20 AM
    If BB10 took off then BlackBerry and all the BB10 app developers would be in the perpetual update business model as well, and I wouldn't care for that either.
    Yes, it seems that updates are only critical/essential until the device you like stops getting them.
    pdr733 likes this.
    11-25-21 11:54 AM
    Yes, it seems that updates are only critical/essential until the device you like stops getting them.
    Not for me. I hate apps that need to be constantly updated equally now on Android as I did on BB10.
    11-25-21 04:48 PM
    Not for me. I hate apps that need to be constantly updated equally now on Android as I did on BB10.
    We're discussing OS updates and patches but ok.

Although I'm happy to get feature updates, bug fixes, and security enhancements for apps too.
    11-25-21 06:16 PM
    With my Samsung devices (not top of the line), I don't seem to get nearly as many updates and patches as I think are pushed out for apps.
    11-25-21 06:28 PM
    You might be right but we "KNOW" this how?
    11-25-21 11:17 PM
    You might be right but we "KNOW" this how?
    All the modern OS, traditional or mobile, have seen a tremendous increase with number of security updates long before COVID-19 remoting accelerated that even faster.
    pdr733 likes this.
    11-26-21 08:15 AM
    I am leery of frequent updates to apps as it frequently makes them less usable, or bigger in size and background memory demands in adding features i don't have any use for. Also frequently an update requires more permissions just because it can.
    11-26-21 10:32 AM
    I am leery of frequent updates to apps as it frequently makes them less usable, or bigger in size and background memory demands in adding features i don't have any use for. Also frequently an update requires more permissions just because it can.
    So you keep all of your apps at their 2015 versions?
    11-26-21 10:45 AM
    Does anybody have this thing working on AT&T? I'm curious if I have an isolated issue or if this is just how it is. It gives me some hope that VoLTE SOMETIMES works.
    Working great on Puretalk (so far) which runs on att connections. I had no problem with the phone working.
    11-26-21 10:47 AM
    All the modern OS, traditional or mobile, have seen a tremendous increase with number of security updates long before COVID-19 remoting accelerated that even faster.
    Yes, there's no escaping perpetual "...better lock...better lock pick..." cycle. It just irritates me when that lock maker publicly publishes fresh instructions for picking last month's model...

No doubt they enjoy solid reasoning for such publications. Irritating jts. Imo.

Even if BB10 were still publishing monthly lock models, would the BlackBerry that we knew & loved also publicize instructions for "picking" last month's model? ??

If so, how do we "know" ? If not, how do we "know"? BB's no longer a "lock maker". How do we "know" if "no one of the updates-are-overrated BB10 brigade would have any problem with it..." ?? Lol.

I've never enjoyed much enthusiasm for BB10. Especially for the way BBOS was treated making room for BB10. But still... both are gone now. Conjecture over how their enthusiasts would've reacted is... well... conjecture. Lol. Imo. Fwiw.
    Last edited by idssteve; 11-26-21 at 11:17 AM.
    bh7171 likes this.
    11-26-21 10:55 AM
    Yes, there's no escaping perpetual "...better lock...better lock pick..." cycle. It just irritates me when that lock maker publicly publishes fresh instructions for picking last month's model...

Even if BB10 were still publishing monthly lock models, would the BlackBerry that that we knew & loved also publicize instructions for last month's model? ??

If so, how do we "know" ? If not, how do we "know"? BB's no longer a "lock maker". How do we "know" if "no one of the updates-are-overrated BB10 brigade would have any problem with it..." ?? Lol.

I've never enjoyed much enthusiasm for BB10. Especially for the way BBOS was treated making room for BB10. But still... both are gone now. Conjecture over how their enthusiasts would've reacted is... well... conjecture. Lol. Imo. Fwiw.
    Publishing the vulnerability is the quid pro quo for being allowed the time to patch it before it gets reported.
    11-26-21 10:58 AM
    Actually, I do exactly that for Waze (3.9.9.0)

...It's the only way to keep Arnie's voice pack
    zer0ten likes this.
    11-26-21 11:41 AM

Even if BB10 were still publishing monthly lock models, would the BlackBerry that we knew & loved also publicize instructions for "picking" last month's model? ??

I believe all the OS developers publish a change or fix log of exploits and fixes with each new update.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-21 01:25 PM
    I like to first check version history at apkpure and decide from that info if I want to try an older version first. So I decide app by app when and if to update. For example I like Slacker but not LivexLive, or an update to an app receives reviews that it wrecked the app; I don't update if I like the app to remain functional. I usually update my most tried and true apps on request of the app. I have a stagnant photoviewer that works better than its upgrade and eventually will have to do something else.
    11-26-21 01:49 PM
    I like to first check version history at apkpure and decide from that info if I want to try an older version first. So I decide app by app when and if to update. For example I like Slacker but not LivexLive, or an update to an app receives reviews that it wrecked the app; I don't update if I like the app to remain functional. I usually update my most tried and true apps on request of the app. I have a stagnant photoviewer that works better than its upgrade and eventually will have to do something else.
    Apps are constantly upgrading their security, so how do you know you remain protected?

Seems to me the best policy is to stick with current, and back down a single version if something breaks.
    11-26-21 02:32 PM
    I wonder how many app updates are actually for security vs for adding in addition marketing or data harvesting, or in other cases to fix stuff because they didn't bother spending enough effort to properly build/test something in the first place? Most of the descriptions for app updates are useless descriptions nowadays with nothing more than the standard "bug/security/enhancement fixes/features" jargon and not even an attempt at an effort to list a change log.
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    11-26-21 05:08 PM
    I wonder how many app updates are actually for security vs for adding in addition marketing or data harvesting, or in other cases to fix stuff because they didn't bother spending enough effort to properly build/test something in the first place? Most of the descriptions for app updates are useless descriptions nowadays with nothing more than the standard "bug/security/enhancement fixes/features" jargon and not even an attempt at an effort to list a change log.
    So how do YOU decide when the developer has ultimately hit the perfect static balance of security, reliability, features, and trackers.
    11-26-21 05:46 PM
    So how do YOU decide when the developer has ultimately hit the perfect static balance of security, reliability, features, and trackers.
    I don't. That's certainly not within my realm to control. I do however wish there was more emphasis on quality and less emphasis on just putting stuff out there.
    bh7171 and to boldly go like this.
    11-26-21 05:50 PM
3,710 ... 119120121122123 ...