[QUOTE=brookie229;13578747]

Well, as I stated above, if there's a demand for a custom rom, that would satisfy many here, although not many are willing or able to flash a new rom and then, of course, there's the problem of not being an official or Google supported end result. There can be, however, security patches on a monthly basis if Lineage is chosen and so the device would be secure (reasonably so anyway).
    A couple very smart coworkers seem still irritated at Lineage for some sort of April fools mishap ... ?? IDK, they still consider it a worthwhile project... Coming from those two, says a lot, imo.
    04-07-21 07:46 PM
    You can sign up here to receive a notification when the Kickstarter thing starts and more details become available.

https://launch.unihertz.com/pages/titan-pocket
    Done. Thanks!
    04-07-21 07:47 PM
    Except they DIDN'T make one because they knew it wouldn't sell.

Samsung goes after any market they think has gas.
    Heck if they even think fumes remain they'll give a match strike for a possibility of combustion
    tommichael88 likes this.
    04-07-21 08:27 PM
    Heck if they even think fumes remain they'll give a match strike for a possibility of combustion
    Nah, they wouldn't waste a match unless they could easily detect it with their own noses.
    04-07-21 08:47 PM
    I liken the love of a physical keyboard to the love of driving a stick shift . For the life of me, I don't understand why none of the PKB manufacturers haven't pursued that ad route more extensively? I especially enjoy upshifting and downshifting a 6 speed motorcycle and go out of my way to drive windy hilly roads. I pride myself on knowing my bike and at the end of a particular stretch of road, I know if I caught all the shifting points exactly where they needed to be to make the bike do exactly what I wanted. In a smaller way I get that same satisfaction from typing on my Q 10. I will never want a touch screen computer, either.
    idssteve and RCJ28 like this.
    04-08-21 02:06 AM
    I liken the love of a physical keyboard to the love of driving a stick shift . For the life of me, I don't understand why none of the PKB manufacturers haven't pursued that ad route more extensively? I especially enjoy upshifting and downshifting a 6 speed motorcycle and go out of my way to drive windy hilly roads. I pride myself on knowing my bike and at the end of a particular stretch of road, I know if I caught all the shifting points exactly where they needed to be to make the bike do exactly what I wanted. In a smaller way I get that same satisfaction from typing on my Q 10. I will never want a touch screen computer, either.
    I rode a "HondaMatic" for a brief period. Single cam 750, as I recall. Miserable experience, imo. Loss of engine braking for one thing. Just general loss of control. Especially on questionable surfaces. Great for newbees still steep in clutch control learning curve, I guess. Lol.

SOME of us do best with kinesthetic learning styles. The dominant visual learning style group never "gets it". Lol. FEW are even aware there is such a "thang". Lol. About 5% of population classifies as kinesthetic... Aka tactile...

Some allegorical evidence might suggest "tactile learners" might favor PKB? Possible opportunities for an effective awareness campaign collaborating with PKB sales? ??

The dominant visual learners will never "get it" regardless, tho. Lol.
    boogywstew and stephenabm like this.
    04-08-21 07:06 AM
    Except they DIDN'T make one because they knew it wouldn't sell.

Samsung goes after any market they think has gas.
    I look at that Tactical Edition Galaxy phone.... Samsung will cater to a niche, if asked and there is enough profit in it for them.

I'm more surprised that Nokia didn't take a run at the PKB market with TCL pulling out, and their penchant for retro phones. But while there just might be five million users out there that would buy a PKB, they aren't united in form factor or price point or upgrade cycle.
    boogywstew and stephenabm like this.
    04-08-21 07:19 AM
    Didn't Samsung produce a pkb "case" to fit some of their slabs?

Obviously not adequate profit for them but was that because of PKB as a failure of concept? Or because of failure of implementation?

NO implementation of PKB since 2011 has managed to coax this old Bold from MY hand... And I'm as hard core PKB as it gets... Lol. NOT because of what it IS. Entirely because of what it can DO. If an implementation can't DO better than this Bold, it won't willingly displace this Bold in MY hand. Regardless of what it IS. Lol.
    Looking like Pocket might do Form Factor, at least.. A first step unprecedented in recent years...
    04-08-21 07:36 AM
    Didn't Samsung produce a pkb "case" to fit some of their slabs?

Obviously not adequate profit for them but was that because of PKB as a failure of concept? Or because of failure of implementation?

NO implementation of PKB since 2011 has managed to coax this old Bold from MY hand... And I'm as hard core PKB as it gets... Lol. NOT because of what it IS. Entirely because of what it can DO. If an implementation can't DO better than this Bold, it won't willingly displace this Bold in MY hand. Regardless of what it IS. Lol.
    Looking like Pocket might do Form Factor, at least.. A first step unprecedented in recent years...
    I doubt it... the Titan keyboard would never have reached your WPM, even if weight, size and balance weren't an issue.

Unihertz builds cheap device with basic components and put them in a ruggedized body all for less than $200 (if you are an early buyer). Odds of them building a high end PKB that will function well and last, are slim to none at these price points. Might be the right form factor, but your BOLD was optimized hardware and software working in harmony. And for it's time designed with security at it's heart.

It's really not fair to say either way till units are built and can be tested.... but this business model is going to push users to pay now and test later. You can wait, but then you might not get the 46% discount.

But that's the point.... a lot goes into making the "perfect" PKB device.... for you. I think your chance lies more with OM, as I suspect their keyboard will be made with a bigger budget and hopefully better quality. Not built with a $100 build budget in mind.
    04-08-21 07:58 AM
    I doubt it... the Titan keyboard would never have reached your WPM, even if weight, size and balance weren't an issue.

Unihertz builds cheap device with basic components and put them in a ruggedized body all for less than $200 (if you are an early buyer). Odds of them building a high end PKB that will function well and last, are slim to none at these price points. Might be the right form factor, but your BOLD was optimized hardware and software working in harmony. And for it's time designed with security at it's heart.

It's really not fair to say either way till units are built and can be tested.... but this business model is going to push users to pay now and test later. You can wait, but then you might not get the 46% discount.

But that's the point.... a lot goes into making the "perfect" PKB device.... for you. I think your chance lies more with OM, as I suspect their keyboard will be made with a bigger budget and hopefully better quality. Not built with a $100 build budget in mind.
    Yeah, I suffer no delusions of ever truly replacing Bold. Planning to try Pocket AND OM... Desperate measures for desperate times. Lol. My desk might be getting as crowded as Chuck's coffee table... Lol.
    04-08-21 08:07 AM
    Yeah, I suffer no delusions of ever truly replacing Bold. Planning to try Pocket AND OM... Desperate measures for desperate times. Lol. My desk might be getting as crowded as Chuck's coffee table... Lol.
    That being said, the wife says our new place has space for a larger coffee table. I didn't acknowledge the statement for a multitude of reasons. She also reminded me of my coffee table device budget if the device isn't going to be actually used to pay our bills. I think she's finally on to me after 20-35 years...
    04-08-21 09:30 AM
    That being said, the wife says our new place has space for a larger coffee table. I didn't acknowledge the statement for a multitude of reasons. She also reminded me of my coffee table device budget if the device isn't going to be actually used to pay our bills. I think she's finally on to me after 20-35 years...
    She draws the line at your new collecting habit, but is fine with your collage support programs for young women?
    04-08-21 09:56 AM
    This is getting creepy.
    04-08-21 10:34 AM
    Lol... my desk is my domain. Her's is her's. lol Our coffee table has a Playbook, a cheap droid tablet, desktop charging cradles for two Bolds and a charger for Bold's spare batts. Oh, and coasters for coffee mugs, etc.

A Priv also spends some time there... Watching tv while learning a new device is a great way to learn to relax with that device. Relaxing drastically improves wpm. For me. Still steep in learning Priv. A very strange beast to push limits on. long story. I'll likely devote similar time with Pocket and OM.

Won't even discuss my crazy crowded desk... other than if a suitable replacement for Bold were found, the only other mobile device on that desk might then be iPhone? go figure... lol
    04-08-21 10:57 AM
    Size comparison between the Titan and the Titan PocketUnihertz Titan Pocket Megathread-181188536.jpeg
    04-08-21 06:24 PM
    Size comparison between the Titan and the Titan PocketClick image for larger version. 

Name:	181188536.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	450601
    I think UniHertz will sell a lot more of these than the Titan. I know many here loved their Passports (I bought one in Feb '15 I have barely used) I found the form factor inferior to my Classic and my smartphone needs.
    04-08-21 06:32 PM
    I think UniHertz will sell a lot more of these than the Titan. I know many here loved their Passports (I bought one in Feb '15 I have barely used) I found the form factor inferior to my Classic and my smartphone needs.
    If the Classic outsold the Passport, then the Pocket will outsell the Titan.
    idssteve, Grungni and stephenabm like this.
    04-08-21 06:36 PM
    If the Classic outsold the Passport, then the Pocket will outsell the Titan.
    Well, that spacebar looks brutal. Way too small.
    stephenabm likes this.
    04-08-21 06:37 PM
    It's a tad small but looks smaller with more keys around it. I look at my Keyone keyboard and the spacebar isn't particularly big but it's fine.

The Pocket likely won't have a pkb experience that's comparable to a BB but hopefully it'll be serviceable and they've made improvements learned from the Titan pkb feedback.
    stephenabm likes this.
    04-08-21 06:43 PM
    It does look small indeed, but that shouldn't ruin the typing experience. They must have taken it for a spin before choosing to go with that final design.

Like the original Titan (and the Passport), they made that spacebar the width of two of the other keys.
    stephenabm likes this.
    04-08-21 07:52 PM
    She draws the line at your new collecting habit, but is fine with your collage support programs for young women?
    The subsidized educational endeavors is a hobby that keeps me busy outside, not cluttering our living area with strange looks from our constant visitor friends of hers and our daughters. It’s 2021 equivalent of keeping me locked in attic.

I’m slowing down too and she doesn’t want me to become too sedentary....

This is getting creepy.
    Seriously?!? Interesting.... Unusual...... Truth stranger than fiction.......

Not creepy........ LMAO
    stephenabm likes this.
    04-08-21 09:31 PM
    I was going to see if our new BB materializes, but I really want that LITTLE phone! Dang. Rumor is ir won't work on Cricket tho. I was not allowed to sign up for the crowdfunding discount, is it my browsers are too glitchy or is it closed? It reverts back to the signup page after i swear that I'm not a robot.
    stephenabm likes this.
    04-08-21 10:41 PM
    I was going to see if our new BB materializes, but I really want that LITTLE phone! Dang. Rumor is ir won't work on Cricket tho. I was not allowed to sign up for the crowdfunding discount, is it my browsers are too glitchy or is it closed? It reverts back to the signup page after i swear that I'm not a robot.
    The discount comes into play it you back the Kickstarter. Has nothing to do with providing your email. That's just too be notified when the campaign begins.
    stephenabm likes this.
    04-08-21 10:50 PM
    It does look small indeed, but that shouldn't ruin the typing experience. They must have taken it for a spin before choosing to go with that final design.

Like the original Titan (and the Passport), they made that spacebar the width of two of the other keys.
    Paint wear on my Bold spacebar illustrates how much of the space bar my thumb actually uses. see photo.

I type with thumb TIP, tho. Flat thumbing proves too slow and sloppy for MY tastes. fwiw
    Attached Thumbnails Unihertz Titan Pocket Megathread-img_20210408_2249444.jpg  
    04-08-21 10:58 PM
    Paint wear on my Bold spacebar illustrates how much of the space bar my thumb actually uses. see photo.

I type with thumb TIP, tho. Flat thumbing proves too slow and sloppy for MY tastes. fwiw
    Man you work that PKB. I don't recall ever wearing off a BlackBerry PKB. When we purchased our business between '09 and July of '10 I used my 9700 so dang much. I never would have been able to coordinate and accomplish the purchase of our business without that device.
    stephenabm likes this.
    04-08-21 11:46 PM
3,710 ... 45678 ...