Okay well I bit the bullet and decided I would jump in after hearing all the hype and try out android. I purchased a Verizon Fascinate and its a little overwhelming. I dont have the phone yet, but I have a few questions before i get it. Mainly setting up the phone on Verizon.
    1. When I get the phone i can just dial *228 and update my equipment that way, and on blackberry you had to sign in to the BIS page an update your pin to start receiving emails. Once I activate the fascinate I dont need to do anything like that right? I can just manually set up my emails accounts on the phone and I should start receiving emails, right?

2. As far as email goes I have an .edu email that I use for school, and I think I will just forward that email address to my gmail account to make for quicker email delivery. is that the best way?

3. Being on blackberry I am def spoiled when it comes to notifications. how do notifications work on the fascinate, does android have a little notification bar like blackberry that tells you what type of message you recieved and how many? I know im gonna miss my LED but I have done some reading and found that there is an app called noLED that can help with that problem.

4. Also for contacts whats the easiest way to import them from my gmail account. Just connect and sync?
    Im pretty excited to try something new, but very nervous. It should be here early next week and I cant wait. Thanks for all the help.
    10-12-10 04:41 PM
    Okay well I bit the bullet and decided I would jump in after hearing all the hype and try out android. I purchased a Verizon Fascinate and its a little overwhelming. I dont have the phone yet, but I have a few questions before i get it. Mainly setting up the phone on Verizon.
    1. When I get the phone i can just dial *228 and update my equipment that way, and on blackberry you had to sign in to the BIS page an update your pin to start receiving emails. Once I activate the fascinate I dont need to do anything like that right? I can just manually set up my emails accounts on the phone and I should start receiving emails, right?

2. As far as email goes I have an .edu email that I use for school, and I think I will just forward that email address to my gmail account to make for quicker email delivery. is that the best way?

3. Being on blackberry I am def spoiled when it comes to notifications. how do notifications work on the fascinate, does android have a little notification bar like blackberry that tells you what type of message you recieved and how many? I know im gonna miss my LED but I have done some reading and found that there is an app called noLED that can help with that problem.

4. Also for contacts whats the easiest way to import them from my gmail account. Just connect and sync?
    Im pretty excited to try something new, but very nervous. It should be here early next week and I cant wait. Thanks for all the help.
    Okay welcome to the world of Android you won't be dissapointed

1. When you get the phone it will come with activation instructions. Have a gmail account ready to go and it will be super easy to activate.

2. I forward all of my pop mails to my gmail account just makes it easier for me.

3. Yeah the LED is gone many like noled I use goto as a screen lock replacement and noled doesn't work with it. But it show's notifications on the sweep to unlock bar.

4. If your contacts are in gmail when you setup your phone the contacts will sync OTA.

Now if you really want to do some stuff head over to XDA developers and root, overclock and change the boot animation also change the default font if you want and there are themes made by Frostman.

Again welcome to the Android Army.

P.S. Kiss daily battery pulls goodbye
    10-12-10 04:48 PM
    LOL i dont think im gonna mess with rooting until i can get a grasp and become familiar with teh phone first. As far as setting it up, I didnt get it from verizon and got it off of ebay so I dont think it will come with setup instructions.
    10-12-10 05:00 PM
    OH I am assuming you know it has a clean esn.

Here ya go:

Initial Activation and Setup - Samsung Fascinate SCH-I500

Look you owned plenty of BB's I KNOW you are familiar with reloading the OS...LOL

Rooting is a snap.

Enjoy
    10-12-10 05:04 PM
    Yea the phone def has a clean esn because it came from a person i know.
    Thanks for the setup instructions, that will come in handy when the phone comes in and will get me up and running. I wont have to do the backup assistant as everything is on gmail so that saves a step.
    Yea when it comes to BB ive head quite a few and im always tinkering with them and loading OS and hybrids. Im sure rooting isint hard, id just like to become a little familiar with the platform and some apps before i mess around with rooting.

Im sure in a week or two ill be back here asking questions about rooting lol. Looking forward to getting the phone and trying out android!
    10-12-10 05:47 PM
    The best place to look is at xda forum. That has a dedicated Fascinate forum and will give you the fasted information for how to root, change kernels, load ROM's etc. Congrats on your new Fascinate.
    10-12-10 06:26 PM
    Okay well my fascinate came in today and im trying to set it up. When i turn and unlock it it asks me what language, I choose english. It then asks if i want to perform backup assistant and i say no cause i dont have an account. Then it asks if i have a google account, i click yes and input my credentials to log in. it then says its contacting googles servers and could take 5 minutes. Then it goes to a screen where it asks what i want to sync contacts, calender, and gmail. I click all cause i have a gmail account, but when i click next it just takes me back to the begining screen and asks what language i want. It wont let me get past that stage. Any help?
    10-14-10 06:13 PM
    Try syncing just the mail you can make changes later

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-10 06:20 PM
    It appears that it synced cause when i got an email it said in the top right corner that there is one new email, but it every time i click sync it loops back to the english/spanish initial screen
    10-14-10 06:24 PM
    Okay you are going to get a crash course in odin and reflashing your phone.

Odin Restore files to get you to stock - xda-developers

This will flash your phone back to stock with a fresh rom
    10-14-10 06:27 PM
    well i did the steps and it said pass but im still getting the same thing. after i tell it to sync it just goes back to the english/spanish screen
    10-14-10 07:00 PM
    well you don't need to tell the phone to sync it does it automatically

How are you telling the phone to sync?

But there is something screwy going on.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 10-14-10 at 07:08 PM.
    10-14-10 07:02 PM
    Even if i turn off the sync for everything and push okay it still takes me back to the english/spanish screen.

i cant get past the synchronization screen

Its a new phone from a previous owner and I just turned it on and it asked me which lanuguage, i selected english, then it asked if i wanted to do the backup assistant, i said skip, then it came to a screen that said add a google account, i clicked next. Then it gives me the options to create a google account or log onto a google account. I already have a gmail account so i clicked log in. It then asks for my username and password. I enter those and click sign in. Then it asks me for data synchronization, it has three options contacts calender and gmail. I clicked all and then clicked finish. Then it took me back to the begining screen when i first booted the phone and asked what language i wanted english or spanish. Its like it wont let me go past the synchronization stage.
    Last edited by rryoung; 10-14-10 at 07:13 PM.
    10-14-10 07:08 PM
    what happens when you hit the home button?
    10-14-10 07:09 PM
    what happens when you hit the home button?
    absolutly nothing, it just flashes.
    10-14-10 07:13 PM
    you flashed the kernel too?
    10-14-10 07:15 PM
    Yank the battery and start fresh
    10-14-10 07:21 PM
    when i did the odin thing i used the odin restore file for kernel, is that the one im supposed to use?
    10-14-10 07:23 PM
    Try the ODIN file for recovery
    10-14-10 07:26 PM
    Try the ODIN file for recovery
    Nothing, it still goes back to the english/spanish screen.

I just tried creating a new account to see if that work, but it says that it is having trouble connecting to googles servers. I havent activated the phone on verizons network yet, could that be causing an issue?
    10-14-10 07:31 PM
    Ahh yes activate on VZW...
    10-14-10 07:32 PM
    But i cant get past the setup part, how would i activate it.
    10-14-10 07:34 PM
    When you first unlock the phone can you press the send button?
    10-14-10 07:35 PM
    which one is send?
    10-14-10 07:38 PM
    what buttons do you see?
    10-14-10 07:38 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD