My switch to Android has been mostly smooth and I absolutely LOVE my ThunderBolt (It kicks azz!), but I am having a few issues coming from BB.

The first issue was that the built-in music player just plain sucks. I purchased powerAMP though and that took care of most of my music player complaints.

However, my biggest issue now is the locking and unlocking function, mostly as it relates to the music player. With the BB I could set the lock to not activate if the phone was plugged into power. I can't seem to find a setting in Android that will allow me to do that and it's frustrating the heck out of me. I don't like the phone locking while I have it plugged into the car adapter. It really sucks having to push the button and THEN have to enter my security code while I'm driving just so I can access the music player.

Can anyone tell me if there's a setting somewhere that I'm missing? Or is there a third party lock application that will solve my problem? Another thing that would be nice would be if it were possible to wake the phone another way besides the tiny top button.

Thanks!
    03-26-11 02:59 AM
    the easiest solution for the "lock" problem would be use a widget that keeps the screen on. You mention being plugged in so this might work since its charging anyway. a simple click and the screen will remain on and you will have complete access to your music app. Speaking of i like winamp and poweramp both.

as for the wake option im not sure if the volume rockers do it stock but i do know that the app "no lock" does a great job with custimizing the lock/wake up features on the phone.

Another app you might want to try is "call confirm"...if you are having issue with accidently hitting the big phone button and then calling people this takes care of that.

report back if you still need help with this or anything else!
    03-26-11 03:38 AM
    Great help...thanks!

I actually have not accidentally dialed anyone yet, but I have opened just about ever app on the phone accidentaly...lol!

I did have one other thing. i use screen captures a lot and it looks like you have to root for all those. Seems odd. Do you know if there is another way?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-11 05:16 AM
    There is an app called No Lock that disables the lock screen. It includes a widget for quickly turning on and off.
    03-26-11 09:45 AM
    There is also an app called Widget Locker that allows you to put widgets on your lock screen (such as your music widget) so that even from your lock screen..you can access said widget. I've never used this but I know quite a few do and seem to like it.
    03-26-11 10:03 AM
    Try DoubleTwist. It's free (unless you want the wi-fi sync - which is $4 or $5). Works great with iTunes. All you have to do is download the free app to your computer and the one to your phone. It comes with built-in lock screen capabilities on your phone. When your phone locks you can still pause, play, skip, and change the music volume. There's a button you press that will take you from that screen to the lock screen. Just my $0.02 - it's what I use and I love it.
    03-26-11 10:19 AM
    yeah not on the go screenshot without root. you can hook it up to the PC and use command line ADB to take it though it you really want/need one.
    03-26-11 11:55 AM
    Try Screebl Lite. It is an app that keeps your screen on and prevents it from timing out as long as the phone orientation is within a user defined limit. Most set the device to sense when it is put down flat, as on a table or other level surface. All other orientations will keep the phone screen on, as in a car mount for instance, or if you are holding the phone.
    03-26-11 03:26 PM
    OK, I found Screebl and installed it. Still need to play around with the settings. I also played around with the settings in PowerAMP itself and it ALMOST does exactly what I need just from it's own settings. The problem is if I use the lock screen PowerAMP widget it only works in portrait mode. Because of the location of the USB port on the TB, I have to mount it in landscape mode in the car...at least until I find a better mount that doesn't interfere with the USB.

So, I'm getting there! Thanks for the help and great ideas!

Oh yeah, I FINALLY organized my icons today...lol!
    03-26-11 10:04 PM
    good deal. yeah it takes awhile sometimes to get them right
    03-26-11 10:12 PM
    OK, I have another problem...lol!

I work for a non profit and we have one of those corporate gmail accounts where our email addresses are our [email protected] instead of having the @gmail follower (or whatever). Does that make sense? Anyway, I cant figure out how to set it up. I set up my other gmail accounts just fine, but this one won't work. I tried doing it in the gmail settings and in just the general email setup, but either way it says my username or password is incorrect. I've verified about 15 times that I'm putting in the right info!

Um, thanks again!
    03-26-11 11:25 PM
    you are trying to use the gmail app? or the default "mail" app
    03-26-11 11:36 PM
    Um yeah, never mind! I was trying to do it through the default app because thats how I set up the others. Worked fine once I went to the gmail app. However, now that account doesn't show up in the default email folder with the others.

I feel like such an *****...lol...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 02:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD