I received my HTC One M8 yesterday and have played with it pretty heavily over the past 24hrs. I wanted to give some thoughts on it and comparisons to the Z30, which I think is B&B's competitor for this phone

Build quality - It's amazing. There is no other phone close to this on the market right now in terms of build quality. It's beautiful to look at and to hold and nothing else comes close. Z30 is very nice but the M8 is in a class by itself.

Screen - One of the best screens I have ever seen on a phone. Comparing it to the Z30 isn't close, there is a clear difference when looking at the 2 and the Z30 is a little behind in this area.

Battery Life - Absolutely amazing. This is easily the best battery life I've ever gotten on an Android phone. It's equally as good as the Z30 in the one day that I've had it. I have tortured this phone today watching videos, browsing the net, making calls, messaging, streaming music, and I'm sitting at 71% right now. It's equal as good as the Z30 in my initial tests with it. That could obviously change as I use it more but so far I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Speakers - There is no comparison. These are the standard for speakers on a phone and they are improved over the original One and are louder fuller, and they sound amazing. The Z30's are great, but the M8's are at a different level.

I won't get into Android vs BB10 because each of them have there strengths and weaknesses but Sense is vastly improved, although I still like BB's file management the best and the hub.

Camera - I love it. The amount of features they crammed in here is awesome. The ability to focus a photo after you take the picture if you want is really cool and very useful. I'm not a fan of the Z30's camera so I won't go there.

I will tell you that HTC lifted some things from BB10 with the M8. You can swipe up to unlock the phone just as you can on BB10. They take it a little further in that you can swipe to the left or right to open up different tasks in addition to swiping up to unlock. Just found it kind of interesting and it was clearly lifted from BB10.

Just some initial thoughts as I know a lot of you like to hear about competing phones when they come out and I thought I'd share some thoughts on this phone.
    03-28-14 07:50 PM
    Great review...I'm thinking about ordering an unlocked one.

Sent from iOS using Tapatalk
    03-28-14 07:55 PM
    Nice review. Thanks. If BlackBerry does not make available a decently built, reasonably priced touch screen with a decent camera, BlackBerry 10 and the bells and whistles other smartphones have, I'll probably switch to Android. I've been waiting for BlackBerry to improve battery life for my z10 through updates, but they seem to be headed in the opposite direction. What good is a phone when you can't use it because the battery's dead. I'm waiting to see because I really like bb10 and don't care for android.

Posted via CB10
    Bdot-1 likes this.
    03-28-14 07:58 PM
    Always loved the HTC One series. If a device were to pull me from BlackBerry, it would be the One.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:01 PM
    Too bad it runs Android...

Check out my AZ MTB Channel C0006F5EB
    03-28-14 08:05 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I'm looking at getting a second device; still trying to decide on the BlackBerry Z30 or an HTC.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    03-28-14 08:08 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I'm looking at getting a second device; still trying to decide on the BlackBerry Z30 or an HTC.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    I'm using an HTC one right now as my manager phone, and its fantastic. If I had to give up my iPhone 5S tomorrow and couldn't have another, I'd go M8 in a heartbeat. That's how impressed I am with the M7.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    03-28-14 08:54 PM
    the specs sounds amazing! but i cannot stand android
    Andy_bb_king and marknick like this.
    03-28-14 08:59 PM
    the specs sounds amazing! but i cannot stand android
    No doubt Android has its quirks. I have to do a lot of customization out of the box to get it the way I want it. It can be a chore, but it's also fun which is part of it I guess. There are just so many things you can change with it, which could be seen as good or bad.
    Drew808 likes this.
    03-28-14 09:05 PM
    Sounds like a nice change from the decidedly mediocre HTC one. Haven't tried it but I have to be honest that I was a bit disappointed with the physical design.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:09 PM
    Sounds like a nice change from the decidedly mediocre HTC one. Haven't tried it but I have to be honest that I was a bit disappointed with the physical design.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure how you could be disappointed in the original as it was the best built phone of 2013.
    reeneebob and irweezyy like this.
    03-28-14 09:28 PM
    For me, the thing would be far too big to be at hand all day if needed, especially with an Otterbox Defender on it. My OD'd Z10 is about as bulky as I'll go; it fits in my pocket easily.
    03-28-14 09:33 PM
    Not sure how you could be disappointed in the original as it was the best built phone of 2013.
    That is certainly a selective opinion. Sales were poor and it never really caught on in any market. The basic problem is that there is nothing that differentiates it from other androids. To start, HTC needs to invest heavily in some industrial design experts as the their physical devices are unappealing.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:59 PM
    That is certainly a selective opinion. Sales were poor and it never really caught on in any market. The basic problem is that there is nothing that differentiates it from other androids. To start, HTC needs to invest heavily in some industrial design experts as the their physical devices are unappealing.

Posted via CB10
    I think the design of the one is gorgeous. That is of course my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 10:25 PM
    The HTC one was maybe the best reviewed phone of last year - the new model seems to be equally well reviewed - but just like last year it will not make any difference, the Samsung billion dollar machine will just roll over it.

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    03-29-14 02:55 AM
    Can we have this thread moved to off topic or somewhere other than a General BlackBerry discussion area please?
    Or maybe over to AC?
    Please?
    03-29-14 03:08 AM

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you. It feels like they tried, but kind of missed the mark. They tried to make it look premium by using metal, but really it just ended up looking really odd, curved back and useless T and all. Not bad, just not at the iPhone level.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 03:12 AM
    Can we have this thread moved to off topic or somewhere other than a General BlackBerry discussion area please?
    Or maybe over to AC?
    Please?
    No

Posted via CB10
    Bdot-1 likes this.
    03-29-14 03:21 AM
    Just another lousy android device that I have zero interest in ever buying.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 03:44 AM
    No

Posted via CB10
    Please explain rather than saying no.

I can go on a list of why this thread shouldn't be here, but in the spirit of helping each other out, I suppose the OP can perhaps do this in order to help others (who don't have the privilege of owning a z30 and a htc one m8 together) to understand the comparisons.

1. Build quality: perhaps a shot of a picture, or with gloves, a video explaining the friction.

2. Screen: Have it shot side by side, at few brightness levels, and few other settings (dark room, sunlight)

3. Battery life. very subjective, but do-able.

4. Camera. The usual point and shoot reviews.

Otherwise, its just another poster saying I've got a new device and I'm liking it over the BBZ30, which is definitely within the framework of..

this thread here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...t-here-260887/

otherwise, its just a personal opinion of the poster subjected to be imposed unto readers, take it or leave it, right or wrong, and should be a valid concern / warrant to have this thread considerated for ejection from this forum, or this section of the forum.

Since you're defending the post, I would like to listen to your comments as to "why no"?
    jon4400 and Andy_bb_king like this.
    03-29-14 04:30 AM
    Just another lousy android device that I have zero interest in ever buying.

Posted via CB10
    What's the point of your rant? Many of us early bb10 adopters are looking for an upgrade soon. Guess what... BlackBerry isn't coming out with an upgrade anytime soon so I would like to discuss options. 10 years I've been a BlackBerry user but enjoy this thread much better then the fan boy threads.

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    03-29-14 06:54 AM
    Anyone with inside to the battery. the Z30 does have a slightly larger battery capacity. And it is eminent to the poweruser I suppose. Also the feeling of getting any new top device is oft great. Glad for the review though as I would choose that phone if I had no Z30
    03-29-14 07:03 AM
    I love what HTC did with the M8. But, as a Moto X user Touchless Controls and Active Display is the way to go. They might have the best phone of 2014, we have to see what the G3 is about, the Moto X sucessor, the new iPhone, the Note 4 and any WP8.1 devices that may come out this year too that might give the M8 a hard time. The S5 when that goes on sale will light sales on fire too.
    03-29-14 07:55 AM
    Too bad it runs Android...

Check out my AZ MTB Channel C0006F5EB
    Yeah but it least it will sell.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-29-14 08:08 AM
    Thread moved and cleaned.

Please stick to the thread topic and stop the personal insults.

Thank you.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    03-29-14 08:10 AM
27 12