Mozilla to go after Android, Apple with cheap phone OS - Yahoo! News

Doesn't mention RIM which is strange since it mentions markets were RIM is doing well.
    02-28-12 02:18 PM
    Sadly, right or wrong, I don't think mainstream sees bb as major competition.
    02-28-12 02:35 PM
    Cheap phone OS? Android is free lol.

Boot to Gecko will be interesting.

Relying on the web only isn't practical. Look how far Chrome OS has come...
    02-28-12 02:43 PM
    Sadly, right or wrong, I don't think mainstream sees bb as major competition.
    Nowhere do you ever hear BB mentioned when you hear about competition. Even WP7 is mentioned when referring to the competition. BB really isn't competing with anyone, they are just trying to stay afloat another day.
    02-28-12 02:49 PM
    Unfortunately (and inevitably), "free" has become "free like a puppy."

Microsoft collects license fees on 50% of Android devices, tells Google to "wake up"
    avt123 likes this.
    02-28-12 02:57 PM
    People here are too funny. Mainstream media doesn't portray RIM as competition. Android definitely isn't free, google gives it away for free while Microsoft collects licensing fees. Staying afloat? Simple math says your wrong.

This is the first I'm hearing about this platform, but it could certainly disrupt the mobile markets, moreso at the low end. Maybe another option for android OEMs.
    02-28-12 02:57 PM
    Unfortunately (and inevitably), "free" has become "free like a puppy."

Microsoft collects license fees on 50% of Android devices, tells Google to "wake up"
    Ah yes that is very true. The OS itself is free but if you want to use it you have to pay Microsoft. Forgot about those royalties.
    02-28-12 03:00 PM
    IMHO, I'd give Samsung with Bada a better shot than Mozilla's Boot to Gecko. Who knows... anything can happen.

However, I see Mozilla making a move just to keep it's name alive to stall the inevitable, moreso than any honest attempt to remain relevant. Anybody worth a damn with Mozilla has already been headhunted by the likes of Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc..

But that's just my personal opinion.
    02-28-12 04:18 PM

Boot to Gecko will be interesting.

Relying on the web only isn't practical. Look how far Chrome OS has come...
    Well if you look at it from the perspective of cost for development... there is a substantial difference. Yes Android is free both in distribution and in OEM cost. However there are tons of dollars from Google dumped into the development of Android. Mozilla's attempt is on a much much much smaller budget. So much so, that realistically, it's built on a developer volunteer basis.

Android may be free in terms of Open Source... and in terms of "free beer" for anybody that chooses to utilize and distribute it. But the actual costs into it's development are pretty substantial.
    02-28-12 04:25 PM
    Firefox is the browser of choice on both Linux and seldomly, windows while I'm backing up my blackberry.
    02-28-12 07:01 PM
    Nowhere do you ever hear BB mentioned when you hear about competition. Even WP7 is mentioned when referring to the competition. BB really isn't competing with anyone, they are just trying to stay afloat another day.
    That's over the top.
    02-28-12 07:24 PM
    Firefox is the browser of choice on both Linux and seldomly, windows while I'm backing up my blackberry.
    Same here. I'm running chromium on my slackbox, and it doesn't feel as polished, or supported as firefox does.
    02-28-12 09:06 PM
    I like Chrome because it is the fastest.

What’s the Fastest Web Browser in the “Real World?” Chrome. | TechCrunch
    Last edited by avt123; 02-29-12 at 02:34 AM.
    02-29-12 02:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD