I think the memory leaks have more to do with poorly constructed 3rd party apps than with the BB OS itself. And I have yet to experience any issue with outages. I've had my Storm for almost a year now and have yet to miss any emails; including Gmail, Yahoo!, and Hotmail.
    01-15-10 01:40 PM
    You must not check your email much then.

There have been three major outages (nationwide) since last August. All reported on this site's front page at those times.
    01-15-10 02:22 PM
    I just dont get why this is still being discussed. Almost like you guys are still trying to convince yourselves of something. I used the Droid for three days then returned it. As a communication device its just not there yet UNLESS you are totally googified. If you still like to use other email, you are not going to be terribly happy with android. Pretty dam simple. BB has billions in infastructure set up to do one thing, messaging. Believe it or not, some of us appreciated that.
    01-15-10 03:22 PM
    Maybe they should put a % of those billions into the craftsmanship. Hardware-wise they are wayyy off track.
    I had a Storm2 for a few days. The call button froze up. Took it back and got another new one. The call button froze up again.
    On my way to get it replaced for the third time, I decided I was done with RIM. I needed a phone to actually make calls.
    I haven't regretted a single day since I came over to the Droid. This phone is just awesome. And we're about to get our second update already. Unlike RIM, Verizon and Moto seem to actually care about the customers needs a little bit.
    Oh and if the Droid needs to connect to WIFI, it connects to WIFI. Regardless of what Moto and VZW are doing on the backend.
    01-15-10 03:46 PM
    I just dont get why this is still being discussed. Almost like you guys are still trying to convince yourselves of something. I used the Droid for three days then returned it. As a communication device its just not there yet UNLESS you are totally googified. If you still like to use other email, you are not going to be terribly happy with android. Pretty dam simple. BB has billions in infastructure set up to do one thing, messaging. Believe it or not, some of us appreciated that.
    Every device has its flaws whether it's a BB, Droid, iPhone, or any of the others. For a message-centric phone, RIM sure does have a lot of problems with their BIS email and finicky BBM. If you're not on BES or have a bazillion people with BBM, a blackberry is an overrated device. Yes, BIS leads the pack but monthly email outages just isn't acceptable. RIM has some great ideas and tech in their devices but their execution is flawed.

The Droid is a perfectly fine communication device. Call quality is great. It allows easy exchange integration with activesync (no extra cost to you or your business) and you don't have to wait 15min like the shotty OWA support on a blackberry. I'm not sure why a lot of people still use yahoo or the even hotmail when gmail is a great alternative. The keyboard really isn't that bad once you take some time to get used to it and the on-screen keyboards make it so you don't even have to open the device. The Droid also isn't a perfect device and has its annoyances but 3 days is hardly enough time judge a device. It has a learning curve and takes some time to get familiar with its quirks. Definitely isn't for everyone.
    01-15-10 04:24 PM
    To those in this thread defending their Storms. I didn't create this thread to argue back and forth on whats better. I will say this, that after lots of time with the Droid and having both Storms since the day they both came out, the Droid is not much worse then the Storms regarding e-mail. Where the Droid just knocks it out of the park is what you defenders of the Storm don't want to hear all of a sudden....that is the browser and real WIFI. Most phones today can get e-mail if you don't mind waiting to log on and such. Most phones today can get into the Internet if you don't mind waiting for a website to load up. What I am tryijg to say is that for my 30 dollor data plan, I get decent e-mail and the best browsing experience using the Dolphin browser....yes, it's just as good as the Safari. When I used the blackberry, it killed me know that I was paying 30 bucks for quick e-mail and crappy browsing. I am not that important of a person that needs to see his e-mail every 30 seconds. I want good media, Youtubes, great browsing, the whole nine yards. The icing on the cake is that the Droid has free navigation which is almost spot on and free and the call quality is extremely good....better then the Storms. This sounds harsh but I don't mean to come off that way so forgive me if I do. BB are good phones that are still in the analog world trying to play in the digital world( it's a figure of speech from Oceans Eleven).
    01-15-10 05:33 PM
    Yeah, I gotta admit, I'd heard a lot about iffy call quality with the Droid on the forums, but mine is reall good. A few people are saying it's better than the 8830, which I felt had outstanding call quality. The Bluetooth reception is definitely better than the 8830 by about 10 or so feet in my house, which helps.

Got the battery issue in check.

Just wishin I'd get better with the keyboard and I don't think I will. Swype is a huge help. Editing text blows...
    01-15-10 05:43 PM
    The droid is a beast of a phone. Period. I would choose it over any blackberry. Android phones are amazing. Anyone who says otherwise has not used the phone for more then a couple days.
    01-15-10 06:22 PM
    To those in this thread defending their Storms. I didn't create this thread to argue back and forth on whats better. I will say this, that after lots of time with the Droid and having both Storms since the day they both came out, the Droid is not much worse then the Storms regarding e-mail. Where the Droid just knocks it out of the park is what you defenders of the Storm don't want to hear all of a sudden....that is the browser and real WIFI. Most phones today can get e-mail if you don't mind waiting to log on and such. Most phones today can get into the Internet if you don't mind waiting for a website to load up. What I am tryijg to say is that for my 30 dollor data plan, I get decent e-mail and the best browsing experience using the Dolphin browser....yes, it's just as good as the Safari. When I used the blackberry, it killed me know that I was paying 30 bucks for quick e-mail and crappy browsing. I am not that important of a person that needs to see his e-mail every 30 seconds. I want good media, Youtubes, great browsing, the whole nine yards. The icing on the cake is that the Droid has free navigation which is almost spot on and free and the call quality is extremely good....better then the Storms. This sounds harsh but I don't mean to come off that way so forgive me if I do. BB are good phones that are still in the analog world trying to play in the digital world( it's a figure of speech from Oceans Eleven).
    hmmm you keep talking about this browser, i have both and Opera Mini 2 is just as fast as anything iv used. iv been using the storm2 more than ever, after a couple months, the apps get old and the typing gets annoying. so for NOW ill stay with the storm 2 which i have been for the past couple of weeks. Once again its all personal choice
    01-15-10 06:40 PM
    hmmm you keep talking about this browser, i have both and Opera Mini 2 is just as fast as anything iv used. iv been using the storm2 more than ever, after a couple months, the apps get old and the typing gets annoying. so for NOW ill stay with the storm 2 which i have been for the past couple of weeks. Once again its all personal choice
    Don't even talk about Opera Mini or even Bolt. The data is compressed before it is even sent to your device. It isn't a "real" web browsing experience. To top it all off, Safari, Android Browser, Opera (Winmo version) and the Pre's browser are faster than Opera Mini and they aren't compressed. They are real WebKit browsers.

NOBODY should kid themselves with saying Opera Mini and Bolt are better than a Webkit browser (not saying you did), because the fact that it is already compressed before it hits your BB shows how much the rendering capabilities of BBs and browsing on BBs sucks.
    01-15-10 06:48 PM
    @ tayl0rd

C'mon ... C'mon!

I see contradictions in your posts man

You post about BB�s being a business phone and you are absolutely correct about that. The discussion is all about the Storms. It�s a fact that the storm was presented as a multimedia device. Want to do more? Want proof. Click on the links on RIM�s own page. Now you tell me what kind of business sense or direction you get from RIM.

BlackBerry - Storm Apps - Do More with your BlackBerry Storm Smartphone

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Storm Details - BlackBerry Storm Multimedia

If you were using a Tour, Bold or Curve, I wouldn�t disagree with you at all � But you�re using a Storm.
    01-15-10 06:52 PM
    Browsing on the droid is a whole other league compared to anything blackberry has to offer. It's not even close. Blackberry users should steer clear of any discussion regarding web browsing until their webkit browser is released.
    01-15-10 08:05 PM
    Don't even talk about Opera Mini or even Bolt. The data is compressed before it is even sent to your device. It isn't a "real" web browsing experience. To top it all off, Safari, Android Browser, Opera (Winmo version) and the Pre's browser are faster than Opera Mini and they aren't compressed. They are real WebKit browsers.

NOBODY should kid themselves with saying Opera Mini and Bolt are better than a Webkit browser (not saying you did), because the fact that it is already compressed before it hits your BB shows how much the rendering capabilities of BBs and browsing on BBs sucks.
    Haha no need to kid my own self I have both phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 08:19 PM
    Haha no need to kid my own self I have both phones.

I know, that's why it was a general statement.
    01-15-10 08:22 PM
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to all you folks seemingly desperate to defend your phone. Yes, unstable. I used one for two weeks. Unstable like buggy, freezes up and doesn't handle more than one thing at a time well. That is what I am saying. I have the Blackberry 9700. It is a better smart phone. That is what I am saying.
    01-15-10 08:22 PM
    Like I said before its personal choice but one thing I do love on that phone (droid) is the GPS unlike any phone out right now, its sick.

01-15-10 08:27 PM
    Every device has its flaws whether it's a BB, Droid, iPhone, or any of the others. For a message-centric phone, RIM sure does have a lot of problems with their BIS email and finicky BBM. If you're not on BES or have a bazillion people with BBM, a blackberry is an overrated device. Yes, BIS leads the pack but monthly email outages just isn't acceptable. RIM has some great ideas and tech in their devices but their execution is flawed.

The Droid is a perfectly fine communication device. Call quality is great. It allows easy exchange integration with activesync (no extra cost to you or your business) and you don't have to wait 15min like the shotty OWA support on a blackberry. I'm not sure why a lot of people still use yahoo or the even hotmail when gmail is a great alternative. The keyboard really isn't that bad once you take some time to get used to it and the on-screen keyboards make it so you don't even have to open the device. The Droid also isn't a perfect device and has its annoyances but 3 days is hardly enough time judge a device. It has a learning curve and takes some time to get familiar with its quirks. Definitely isn't for everyone.
    With all due respect Doctor, I have used enough smart phones to be able to judge if a phone is right for me in three days. The weekend was fine, but when Monday came and I used it for work it was a little bit of a different story. I get 100-150 emails a day from three different accounts and it gets tiring to turn the phone on, unlock it and swipe down the notification draw to see what was going on. With my BB, you take it from its holster and you are in email (total unified in box) reading what just came in. I also use a bluetooth headset for voice dialing and the lack of the feature was tiresome as well. And you can say what you will about the physical keyboard, but to me it is a waste. It is so off center that I found it unusable. My right thumb could not make it to the H row without me having to reach from underneath the device. i would have actually like the phone much better if it had no keyboard at all.

I have posted on the very forum praising the droid. Its a great device. The screen is fantastic and it is blazing fast. Internet is awesome and I loved the market. But it is not a refined device by any stretch of the imagination. Say what you will about the BB platform, but it works and it does exactly what it was designed to do.

You guys love your droids, hey thats great. I loved it to but its just not ready for me yet. But loving the droid doesnt mean bashing blackberry. Peace out.
    01-15-10 08:31 PM
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to all you folks seemingly desperate to defend your phone. Yes, unstable. I used one for two weeks. Unstable like buggy, freezes up and doesn't handle more than one thing at a time well. That is what I am saying. I have the Blackberry 9700. It is a better smart phone. That is what I am saying.
    You say people are desperate to defend their phones, while you continuously praise yours. Of coarse people are defending their phones. You entered the Android sub-form telling us that you think a device we actually own and use every day is buggy and unstable.

My Droid has never froze. My Droid multitasks beautifully. I keep over 10 widgets constantly pulling data, and 4 Apps running in the background open at all times. My device doesn't slow down, freeze or randomly restart. I'm sorry, but 2 weeks isn't a long time, and your problems were most likely caused by a third-party app.

The Bold 9700 may be better for you, and that is great. Saying the 9700 is a better smartphone is just a flat wrong. You don't get to make that decision. You get to have an opinion. I have owned the 9700 for about a month and went through 4 replacements. I bet you know what my opinion of the device is.
    Last edited by avt123; 01-15-10 at 08:34 PM.
    01-15-10 08:31 PM
    Integration of free turn by turn GPS causes me to lose one less device when driving, no need for mp3 or GPS system

01-15-10 08:32 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean by not getting to make that decision. Obviously we are all speaking about our opinion and experience. Now as far as my not understanding that a bad app can cause problems, I can only say that is cute. Your android sub forum is on a blackberry site. The whole purpose of the OP was either to seek validation or to declare the motorola droid as the better smart phone than the storm. You should recognize that before you post. The 9700 is a better smart phone. If you don't believe me check 90% of the gadget sites, BGR, engadget, etc... The 9700 is superior.
    01-15-10 08:44 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean by not getting to make that decision. Obviously we are all speaking about our opinion and experience. Now as far as my not understanding that a bad app can cause problems, I can only say that is cute. Your android sub forum is on a blackberry site. The whole purpose of the OP was either to seek validation or to declare the motorola droid as the better smart phone than the storm. You should recognize that before you post. The 9700 is a better smart phone. If you don't believe me check 90% of the gadget sites, BGR, engadget, etc... The 9700 is superior.
    No, you flat out stated the 9700 was better. You did not say that was your opinion. You made a general statement. Don't get it twisted.

And please show me where BGR, Engadget, and other tech blog sites say the 9700 is better. You offer no evidence to your claims. From what I remember, BGR and Engadget were ranting and raving over the Droid. ****, their Droid reviews stayed as their headlines topics for weeks. That did not happen for the 9700.

I don't remember the last time a device was even compared to a BlackBerry (insert "Because BBs are the best!" fanboy comment here). ****, in Engadgets own 9700 review they say BBs are basically all the same.

And, at the end of the day, that's one thing we can't get past -- serious BlackBerry enthusiasts will tell you that the interface is doing just fine, and there are plenty of reasons to get hooked on these devices. For us, however, the BlackBerry UI is showing its age, and ultimately, beautiful hardware aside, this device is essentially exactly the same as every other BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry Bold 9700 hands-on and impressions -- Engadget Mobile

So please lets see the evidence shall we?
    01-15-10 09:04 PM
    Here ya go. The thing is, I think this matters more to you than it does to me. But I will offer you this link. You might want a paper bag...

BGR Holiday Gift Guide: Mobile Phones � Boy Genius Report
    01-15-10 09:13 PM

...cmon having to do 2 or 3 battery pulls a day on a blackberry just to make it run half way decent isnt buggy?
    i havent done a battery pull since i had to take the battery out to put my invisible shield on my device and that was 2 months ago, my storm2 is not buggy glitchy or anything, i havent had an problems. if you say buggy and glitchy about the storm 1 i will agree, but people can talk **** about the bb storm2 as much as they want im perfectly happy with mine knowing i have the most secure operating system and browser.
    01-15-10 09:20 PM
    Here ya go. The thing is, I think this matters more to you than it does to me. But I will offer you this link. You might want a paper bag...

BGR Holiday Gift Guide: Mobile Phones � Boy Genius Report
    Let me call my local high school and see if an English teacher is available for tutoring. You need to learn how to read.

BlackBerry 9700
    There isn�t much to it: if your loved one is a BlackBerry-addicted individual and demands the best, there really isn�t anything better. From the pocketable design to the always functional keyboard, global roaming and multimedia features, the BlackBerry 9700 has our vote for the best BlackBerry of all time. (Beyonce music video available for download separately).
    Clearly he says if you are a BB addict and demand the best (meaning best BB) get the 9700. And clearly he states the 9700 is the best BlackBerry.

Nowhere in that post did he claim the 9700 was the best smartphone, or that it is even better than the Droid.

They were categorized by "lust factor", not "which device is better factor".

And I really can care less about this. I am just bored, I'm waiting for my friends to get ready to go out. What better way to occupy that time by having this great conversation with you!
    01-15-10 09:24 PM
    Nice recovery scooter. Have fun with your friends. By the way captain english, course is spelled with a "u" not an "a".
    01-15-10 09:27 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD