I know of the other Android devices, but not too much in how their features work. I hope out of the box, I have an option of using a full on screen touch keyboard (even though it already has a slide out full qwerty one). As well as browsing the web, when the keyboard is open, I can still navigate the screen with my finger and not be limited to the directional pad. As well as be able to just drag and drop play lists from my itunes, over to the phone via a USB cable or over bluetooth (as well as pictures and other documents for that matter).

These features may be standard, but I can also see them be easily over looked. But with so much backing by Verizon and very vocally too, this thing better not flop for their sakes. Along with motorola.

What features do you guys want?
    10-20-09 11:37 AM
    I wish it had a trackpad instead of the d-pad. The gold on the back is nice but not on the keyboard.

Any word if this device has a fully working accelerometer?

Also, does it have a xenon flash or is it just two LED's as speculated.
    10-20-09 11:57 AM
    uptheforest, I don't know if anyone can honestly answer your questions, yet. Just going to have to wait til the end of Oct.

Honestly, I like the HTC Hero (HERE) a bit better; although, the camera doesn't have a flash, and I'm not sure if a video camera feature is available. The slide-out keyboard on the Droid just isn't my thing.

The most encouraging aspect is that these Android phones are just the beginning. Considering how "open" Android is, I expect to see A LOT more selection in the smartphone market -- finally. Glad that Verizon is finally getting their arses in gear. hehehe
    10-20-09 01:48 PM
    Yes it has an accelerometer and dual LED's for the camera flash.

All Android Phones
    10-20-09 02:43 PM
    Great link -- thanks! They just need to add a row for video camcorder, but that grid is very useful.
    10-20-09 02:55 PM
    There are a few errors in the specifications for the Droid alone (processor speed, OS version), so I'd take the specifications for the other Android phones, especially the rumored devices, with a massive grain of salt.
    10-20-09 04:39 PM
    From the info I saw on hofo the flash is xenon.
    10-20-09 05:06 PM
    If the Droid operates like the other 2 Android phones I have seen with keyboards, you will be fine. Android OS has parameters for operation with the keyboard open and closed. With it closed, you just touch the screen in an area to type and the soft keyboard will open. Even with the soft keyboard open, if you rotate and open the hard keyboard, the soft keyboard disappears. This is how the G1 operates with the latest Cupcake OS and I have seen a review of the new Samsung Moment where it has this same behavior.
    10-20-09 05:28 PM
    awesome!!!!
    10-20-09 05:48 PM
    The Droid looks like a great phone. I'd definatley jump on it when it hits the market if it didn't have the slide out keyboard. The slide out keyboard is definatley a deal breaker for me. I did see on androidforums.com, a supposed plan for Motorola to release a Sholes (code name for Droid) tablet, which has no physical keyboard and a much better camera, sometime in the 1st quarter of 2010. The bad thing about that is that nobody knows if what was seen from Motorola is speculation or truth. If I knew for sure that they were going to release a keyboardless Droid, I'd definately wait for that phone to come out!
    Last edited by 0837S; 10-20-09 at 06:28 PM.
    10-20-09 06:18 PM
    A better camera than 5MP?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-09 07:38 PM
    A better camera than 5MP?

Yeah- The info that I have read says 8MP, which would be awesome! I certainly hope that Moto produces the keyboardless Droid. If they don't, I'm seriously looking at the Sony Ericcson Xperia X3 (if it releases also...)
    10-20-09 07:43 PM
    I don't think that in this case the keyboard will really be an issue since the phone is still very slim, much slimmer than my Storm is, without a keyboard. Assuming they give the ability to use a landscape keyboard on-screen and you don't have to use the slider, I cannot see a disadvantage to having it on the phone.
    10-20-09 07:48 PM
    Hopefully, they didn't sacrifice battery capacity for slimness/slideout keyboard either.

I had the Moto V9m and the battery life was pathetic. Super slim battery + 2 power eating LCD screens = bad combo.

10-20-09 08:05 PM
    I don't think that in this case the keyboard will really be an issue since the phone is still very slim, much slimmer than my Storm is, without a keyboard. Assuming they give the ability to use a landscape keyboard on-screen and you don't have to use the slider, I cannot see a disadvantage to having it on the phone.
    I don't believe it will go landscape... I really hope it does, but BGR usually grabs a photo of things like that if they are to be included. Check out below.

Motorola Droid : Boy Genius Report
    Last edited by iMatter; 10-20-09 at 11:55 PM.
    10-20-09 11:47 PM
    Thats what I want to know about this phone can it have a landscape virtual keyboard? If so I will never slide out the physical keyboard and just use the one on the screen. I guess Im going to have to wait and see...
    10-21-09 12:24 AM
    I wish it had a trackball instead of that dumb D-pad

10-21-09 12:39 AM
    Yes it has the landscape keyboard, according to hofo that's a part of the OS.
    10-21-09 04:22 AM
    Your iTunes probably won't drag and drop into the phone, but iTunes blows anyway get a real media player
    10-21-09 11:25 AM
    Your iTunes probably won't drag and drop into the phone, but iTunes blows anyway get a real media player
    I read where google may start its own service
    10-21-09 11:33 AM
    Ha, If I didn't already have 2 iPods and an iPhone, I would probably use something else. But you know how now with the Desktop Manager for Mac, you can drag and drop playlists on to the phone. I hope there's something like that for the Droid. Though with shake up between Apple and Google lately, I can see that not happening. But would still be nice.
    10-21-09 11:35 AM
    I've also heard reports of a keyboardless version coming out next year. That is an option to some but only if a landscape on screen keyboard isn't available. I'd rather have the option of using a physical keyboard or not.

10-21-09 04:46 PM
    I've also heard reports of a keyboardless version coming out next year. That is an option to some but only if a landscape on screen keyboard isn't available. I'd rather have the option of using a physical keyboard or not.

I certainly hope there is a keyboardless version that is decently equipped soon! I've had a phone with a slider on it before and after some use, they get really loose and sloppy, so I want to avoid that at all costs. It would be great if Moto put out the proposed 2010 Q1 Sholes Tablet, which has an 8mp camera in exchange of the physical slide out qwerty keyboard.
    10-21-09 04:54 PM
    As cool as it would have been to get a Snapdragon phone, it looks like we will have to wait till 2010. The Texas Instruments OMAP3430 is a more mature processor and ready for mass production at an affordable price now. Noteable phones to feature the OMAP3430 include the Palm Pre, Sony Ericsson IDOU, and the Samsung OMNIA HD.

We could spend an entire post on the OMAP3430, but I�ll just give you the highlights. The OMAP3430 has a 600 MHz CPU and contains a PowerVR SGX 530 GPU. For detailed information on the OMAP3430, please see Texas Instruments or Imagination Technologies.

2. Sholes will ship with Eclair(Android 2.0?) and feature serious gaming

Google worked very closely with T-Mobile and HTC to bring us the G1. The launch was a success and Google is going to double their efforts with Verizon and Motorola. Verizon is the largest carrier in North America and Google will use this opportunity to showcase Android. Sholes is going to be the new flagship device for Android in 2009.

We know the upcoming Donut branch is not Android 2.0. According to the Reuters interview with Andy Rubin last week, Eclair is likely to get the 2.0 love and be ready to ship this year. Donut is set to include many UI enhancements and Eclair looks to focus on multimedia and gaming.

Rubin said, �You can start really thinking about serious gaming like you would on a Nintendo DS or a PSP handheld.� This makes perfect sense because the OMAP3430 supports the latest OpenGL ES 2.0 standard. Google also recently released the Android Native Development Kit and is hard at work on an upgrade. Browsing Google groups I found this info on the NDK, �In a future release we hope to support linking with OpenGL ES and audio libraries, which should enable high-performance games
    Motorola Sholes for Verizon: New predictions and CPU specs � Android and Me
    10-21-09 09:20 PM
    My guess the App memory will b 256 but will it be apple or bb style app use.

10-21-09 09:44 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD