Um... I currently have the BlackBerry Torch on AT&T and I'm due for an upgrade on Jan. 16 and on another line in April. I just found out about this phone and I think I'm in love.

This phone completely smokes out the BlackBerry Torch, or any other BlackBerry currently on AT&T. The Dual-Core, the 1GB Ram, the 16GB Memory, the Front-Facing Camera, HD/Laptop Dock, 4G (HSPA+), just WOW (nerdgasm).

Unless AT&T gets the 9780 any time soon, I think I might upgrade to this beast ...
    01-08-11 06:24 PM
    Unless AT&T gets the 9780 any time soon, I think I might upgrade to this beast ...
    Why would you say that? It smokes the 9780 as well.
    01-08-11 06:31 PM
    Why would you say that? It smokes the 9780 as well.
    B/c I can't leave BBM and I hate the Torch. I just want the 9780 .
    01-08-11 06:35 PM
    pssst... you can leave BBM, the power of Android compels you!
    01-08-11 07:55 PM
    If it's just a 9780 you're after just get an unlocked Rogers, Telus or Bell. All will get you full 3G service and with minor modifications to .axl files you can have fully working visual voice mail too. Anyway...just a suggestion.
    01-08-11 08:13 PM

What is it about BBM that you cannot walk away from? We have Kik Messenger and Live Profile, that work equally as well if not better. We do not have to worry about BIS/BES crashing.
    01-08-11 08:16 PM
    The only thing really not making me switch to Android is BBM and the sucky Android phones AT&T currently has. When I saw the Incredible I really wanted it but it was for Verizon. Same for the HTC Evo 4G.

Now that AT&T is getting the Atrix, I highly doubt I'm staying with my Torch.

If it's just a 9780 you're after just get an unlocked Rogers, Telus or Bell. All will get you full 3G service and with minor modifications to .axl files you can have fully working visual voice mail too. Anyway...just a suggestion.
    I'm not willing to pay over $500 for a phone when I can get it for ~$199 by simply upgrading. That's just me though...
    01-08-11 08:23 PM
    The only thing really not making me switch to Android is BBM and the sucky Android phones AT&T currently has. When I saw the Incredible I really wanted it but it was for Verizon. Same for the HTC Evo 4G.

Now that AT&T is getting the Atrix, I highly doubt I'm staying with my Torch.
    1) android isn't for everyone. Go find a Android phone to mess with and see if you like it.

2) If you have people that you talk to on BBM chances are they have another wireless chat protocol (Google Talk/ICQ/AIM) you can trade those names with people.
    01-08-11 08:25 PM
    I have to agree the specs on the Atrix are very impressive. I can't wait for it's release to get to actually see and try it out.
    01-08-11 08:26 PM
    I too am now waiting to get my hands on one and try it out. I always swore by BB, bit all these new android handsets are really tempting me away from my BB.
    01-08-11 08:34 PM
    The Atrix will be my next device. Having had my Nexus One for almost a year its time for a change
    Last edited by JD914; 01-09-11 at 07:20 AM.
    01-08-11 08:54 PM
    Yup hot phone!

People amaze me how they can't leave BBM.
    01-10-11 03:47 PM
    The Atrix will be my next device. Having had my Nexus One for almost a year its time for a change
    You seem to be timing phones very well sir
    01-10-11 04:20 PM
    I am also in the group of people that is seriously considering jumping from my S2 to an Android phone. The Atrix looks fantastic and so does the Bionic. Got a NE2 coming up in June and barring that, I could always jump to AT&T.

I would miss BBM but I think I could learn to live without it given all the other messaging/calendar sharing/social networking apps that are available.
    01-12-11 07:28 PM
    I think it would be really cool if this phone was to be released at the same time as the iphone on Verizon. I would think this could be a good strategy to get people to stay and some VZ android folks to switch.
    01-13-11 11:21 AM
    Yeah, the Atrix is looking like it may be my first non-BlackBerry phone in over 5 years...

I'm still not sold on Android though. Is email as easy to set up and organize? Is there anything like the indicator LED? Is using Swype (or any other touchscreen keyboard) full-time really THAT easy to get used to?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 05:16 PM
    Yeah, the Atrix is looking like it may be my first non-BlackBerry phone in over 5 years...

I'm still not sold on Android though. Is email as easy to set up and organize? Is there anything like the indicator LED? Is using Swype (or any other touchscreen keyboard) full-time really THAT easy to get used to?

Email was a little tricky on my phone to set up tbh. I had to Google it in order to get it to work..but it's not like that's hard. My buddy bought the exact same phone as me..and he uses Exchange for email, however their is a known conflict with the Desire Z right now and Exchange. I sent him different links with some known workarounds..but he's a bit of a noob (and lazy)..so he just took my other advice and installed Touchdown email app..and now he's happy as a clam. Overall..even though mines not "push" (as I don't use Gmail..but rather a POP3 as well as Hotmail) i still get my emails in a very timely fashion.

As far as LED's go..i'm not sure if Atrix has one or not..but my DZ has one. Is it as good as a BB's? No..but it works and does the job.

The virtual keyboards are really amazing to use actually. With my Torch..i rarely used it..because the software I found wasn't as good. But the great thing is..there are many different keyboard programs you can try out and configure to your liking. And the "intuitiveness" of the programming can really speed up your typing..as it can basically "predict" what your trying to type, thus minimizing the amount of keystrokes needed to input a word.
    Ezcal likes this.
    01-13-11 06:15 PM
    Email was a little tricky on my phone to set up tbh. I had to Google it in order to get it to work..but it's not like that's hard. My buddy bought the exact same phone as me..and he uses Exchange for email, however their is a known conflict with the Desire Z right now and Exchange. I sent him different links with some known workarounds..but he's a bit of a noob (and lazy)..so he just took my other advice and installed Touchdown email app..and now he's happy as a clam. Overall..even though mines not "push" (as I don't use Gmail..but rather a POP3 as well as Hotmail) i still get my emails in a very timely fashion.

As far as LED's go..i'm not sure if Atrix has one or not..but my DZ has one. Is it as good as a BB's? No..but it works and does the job.

The virtual keyboards are really amazing to use actually. With my Torch..i rarely used it..because the software I found wasn't as good. But the great thing is..there are many different keyboard programs you can try out and configure to your liking. And the "intuitiveness" of the programming can really speed up your typing..as it can basically "predict" what your trying to type, thus minimizing the amount of keystrokes needed to input a word.
    Okay, that's good to hear. The difficulties on email shouldn't be too big of a deal, I can handle a little configuration. I'm hoping for that LED or something like it, it's a nice feature. As for the predictive text, I can't stand it, hah. I've heard pretty good things about Swype though, so I'm not too worried about that.

Thanks for the info.
    01-13-11 09:24 PM
    Okay, that's good to hear. The difficulties on email shouldn't be too big of a deal, I can handle a little configuration. I'm hoping for that LED or something like it, it's a nice feature. As for the predictive text, I can't stand it, hah. I've heard pretty good things about Swype though, so I'm not too worried about that.

Thanks for the info.
    I don't have an Android but I've played with Swype for a little bit in stores and from friends. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate it was. But then again, I've been using a soft keyboard for a while now on another phone so it wasn't that difficult. My last BB was a 9700 less than a year ago and I loved it. It took a little getting used to typing on a soft keyboard but once I got the hang of it (a day or two - don't give up), I swore I can type just as fast as on a BB keyboard.

Back to Swype, I think it's best if you went and tried it first so you can gauge or get a feeling of what you're in for. It really is the only way because no two people has the same size and shape of hands.

Can't wait for the Atrix. It sure is a beast.
    01-14-11 08:53 AM
    Ok so I'm done with my Torch 9800. I don't know why, but it just doesn't have that.. "Bumph" that it had when I first got it (I got it on the release date). I've been with BlackBerry since AT&T got the Bold 9000.

I've always hated touchscreen keyboards, but I like how easy it is to navigate using the touchscreen (browsing, picture viewing, etc). The main reason I got the Torch when it came out was because of the Touchscreen + Keyboard.

Now I just find it SO annoying that I have to slide they keyboard out all the time to text, BBM, or browse the web. Also, the applications on the BlackBerry suck. You can't really do much with them. There's no "fun" in it I guess. There are no fun games or apps.

I want the Atrix because of Android, the power behind it, and the capabilities of the phone. Android has thousands of Apps. Including what I need; Google Navigation (which is free, there is no navigation app on the Blackberry with free voice navigation). The phone also has front-facing camera for video chatting, HD Video, etc.

The email configurations people said before, I have no problem with because I use Google services for most of my things.

Like I said before, I really can't wait until the Atrix comes out to upgrade. I can always go back to Blackberry with my 9700, but I don't see myself staying with BlackBerry any longer, especially since AT&T still doesn't get the 9780.
    Last edited by Shad0w26; 01-15-11 at 01:28 PM.
    01-15-11 01:20 PM
    The Atrix really does look like it'll set the bar for coming phones this year. The Evo was like the Android poster child for the good part of 2010.

I don't think there will be any phones or devices strapped with more than 1Gb of Ram. I plan on leaving my current touch screen phone for the Atrix and I don't doubt it'll still be relevant and a top phone one year from now. It'll be able to run all future android upgrades for a good while as Android will only become more optimized for multiple cores. If there's anyone who's waited for the right moment to go Android, the Atrix and Bionic are the perfect reasons.

01-16-11 10:42 AM
    i cannot fathom voluntarily going to AT&T.
    01-16-11 11:53 AM
    I'm surprised so many folks are so tethered to BBM when there's SO many alternative. Personally I'll be using Google Talk as a replacement. The D and R is nice but not something that would make me stay with BlackBerry.

01-16-11 12:00 PM
    i cannot fathom voluntarily going to AT&T.
    Then get Motorola Bionic on VZW.

01-16-11 12:02 PM
    I'm surprised so many folks are so tethered to BBM when there's SO many alternative. Personally I'll be using Google Talk as a replacement. The D and R is nice but not something that would make me stay with BlackBerry.
    I think the group chats and the number of friends and co-workers some people have using BBM, would make it hard for some people to give up a BB. Especially those who have work phones, and are not allowed to installed third party software on those phones.

But those with personal phones, and few BBM folks to chat with, should not have much of a problem switching over and using other options to stay in touch with their friends that use BBM.
    01-16-11 01:43 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD