This past weekend, I was getting a little tired of the Key2. Phone works well, but it feels like OS 8.1 is dating the device. Whenever a new version of Chrome comes out, other apps start acting up.

I remember not too long ago, a few apps wouldn't run until Chrome got an update a couple days later. Lately, a few apps flicker when scrolling.

I decided to try something else. Not a lot of money lying around, so grabbed a Moto G Power (2020) from Walmart Canada for $250 on sale.

Initial thoughts.... Wow. For a $250 phone, extremely impressed. Screen size, stereo speakers, swipe gestures (hello BB10 again) and a massive battery. What blows me away is the default gboard keyboard. I've dabbled in some Android phones here and there and not hit a keyboard as nice as this before. Aside from not having words in the keyboard to swipe up (BB10) this feels as close to a BlackBerry keyboard as I can get. I can swipe left from the backspace to delete words. The word suggestions are very good.

When I ported over from the Key2, it installed all my BlackBerry apps. I decided to delete them and try BlackBerry free. The only thing I'm still working on is what's the best email app. Outlook has been recommended. Anything that can offer consolidated inbox and sent items like the Hub Inbox would be ideal.

Running Android 10 is also a nice feel. So far, feels snappy.

For a cheap phone, this thing is pretty solid. There's no NFC and no wireless charging. Neither are deal breakers for me to save some coin. Odds are, I could likely sell my Key2 to cover the cost.

What a really cool cheap device that doesn't feel cheap. Highly recommend!
    kbz1960, elfabio80, pdr733 and 1 others like this.
    04-08-21 08:53 AM
    This past weekend, I was getting a little tired of the Key2. Phone works well, but it feels like OS 8.1 is dating the device. Whenever a new version of Chrome comes out, other apps start acting up.

I remember not too long ago, a few apps wouldn't run until Chrome got an update a couple days later. Lately, a few apps flicker when scrolling.

I decided to try something else. Not a lot of money lying around, so grabbed a Moto G Power (2020) from Walmart Canada for $250 on sale.

Initial thoughts.... Wow. For a $250 phone, extremely impressed. Screen size, stereo speakers, swipe gestures (hello BB10 again) and a massive battery. What blows me away is the default gboard keyboard. I've dabbled in some Android phones here and there and not hit a keyboard as nice as this before. Aside from not having words in the keyboard to swipe up (BB10) this feels as close to a BlackBerry keyboard as I can get. I can swipe left from the backspace to delete words. The word suggestions are very good.

When I ported over from the Key2, it installed all my BlackBerry apps. I decided to delete them and try BlackBerry free. The only thing I'm still working on is what's the best email app. Outlook has been recommended. Anything that can offer consolidated inbox and sent items like the Hub Inbox would be ideal.

For a cheap phone, this thing is pretty solid. There's no NFC and no wireless charging. Neither are deal breakers for me to save some coin. Odds are, I could likely sell my Key2 to cover the cost.

The only problems with Motorola devices are that they're Chinese, and their update and patch record is absolutely abysmal. Otherwise the hardware is pretty decent.

For under $250, you can also get a Nokia 5.4 which has three years of updates and patches guaranteed.
    John Albert likes this.
    04-08-21 09:16 AM
    The only problems with Motorola devices are that they're Chinese, and their update and patch record is absolutely abysmal. Otherwise the hardware is pretty decent.

For under $250, you can also get a Nokia 5.4 which has three years of updates and patches guaranteed.
    I can only find Nokia 5.4 at Walmart in Canada and it's $430. Where are you seeing Nokia 5.4 for under $250?
    04-08-21 09:29 AM
    I can only find Nokia 5.4 at Walmart in Canada and it's $430. Where are you seeing Nokia 5.4 for under $250?
    Oh. That was US pricing. Sorry.

For $250 Canadian you'd have to go with a Nokia 3.4. Same update commitment though.
    Last edited by conite; 04-08-21 at 09:51 AM.
    04-08-21 09:31 AM
    Oh. That was US pricing. Sorry.
    Well if he's going to sell his KEY2... should have enough for the Nokia, even at Canadian prices....
    04-08-21 09:53 AM
    Well if he's going to sell his KEY2... should have enough for the Nokia, even at Canadian prices....
    I might be nice and give a fair deal.

One million dollars.

anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-08-21 09:56 AM
    One million dollars.
    LMAO!

oh and fwiw use the Moto if you like it and disregard the hysteria over Chinese phones until actual proof of nefarious use is demonstrated. I'm still using my horrible spy unit Lenovo Carbon X1 laptop with no deleterious effects.
    ppeters914 and anon(5597702) like this.
    04-08-21 10:01 AM
    LMAO!

oh and fwiw use the Moto if you like it and disregard the hysteria over Chinese phones until actual proof of nefarious use is demonstrated. I'm still using my horrible spy unit Lenovo Carbon X1 laptop with no deleterious effects.
    But most the "hysteria" is based on past findings by security researchers or experts - why ignore them? Lenovo PC's have been found to have security risks in the past. They seem to have cleaned up their act in the last few years... but some of the past malware existed on the bios... immune to a clean wipe of a Microsoft image of windows or even installing Linux.

As for effects.... maybe they are biding their time. Most these password managers will tell you about data breaches. I've had dozen of these warnings about sites I've used (even BlackBerry.com & CrackBerry.com) - but nothing bad has happened that I'm aware of. But I'm not waiting around for "effects" to drive my actions.
    04-08-21 10:27 AM
    LMAO!

Since Lenovo/Motorola is legally mandated to hand over consumer data to the Chinese state 24/7, I'll choose not to wait to determine unequivocally if they have or have not complied.
    John Albert and BBuso77 like this.
    04-08-21 10:36 AM
    Since Lenovo/Motorola is legally mandated to hand over consumer data to the Chinese state 24/7, I'll choose not to wait to determine unequivocally if they have or have not complied.
    Well then. I suppose the security patches are only to keep the NSA from getting my data, right? Lol
    anon(5597702) and Paulelmar18 like this.
    04-08-21 02:06 PM
    I guess you don't work in high tech because Lenovo is widely deployed even in security minded orgs.
    04-08-21 02:09 PM
    Well then. I suppose the security patches are only to keep the NSA from getting my data, right? Lol
    The Chinese government also does its own espionage, like many other governments. But Samsung, or Nokia aren't ALSO compelled to hand over everything they have on you too, at any time, without due process. That's the difference.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    04-08-21 02:10 PM
    LMAO!

Ditto..."hysteria" is how I'd describe it too. Have been on Lenovos for going on 10 years for work.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    04-08-21 02:12 PM
    I guess you don't work in high tech because Lenovo is widely deployed even in security minded orgs.
    I fail to see how it helps an argument when examples of others acting contrary to good security policy are brought up.

I see doctors and nurses who smoke.
    04-08-21 02:13 PM
    The Chinese government also does its own espionage, like many other governments. But Samsung, or Nokia aren't ALSO compelled to hand over everything they have on you too, at any time, without due process. That's the difference.
    Except that as we've already discussed ad nauseum, any government or pretty much any country can get info off of anyone's device using various methods. President Xi or the leader of any other country is not likely to be too interested in Joe Blow's cellphone.
    04-08-21 02:37 PM
    Except that as we've already discussed ad nauseum, any government or pretty much any country can get info off of anyone's device using various methods. President Xi or the leader of any other country is not likely to be too interested in Joe Blow's cellphone.
    The "I've got nothing to hide", or "they wouldn't care about me" arguments are fine if they work for you - but they hardly constitute good security policy.

I only smoke a little bit is likely ok to many as well. And it probably is.

I also think you overestimate what governments can get without physical access to the device or collaboration with the manufacturer.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    04-08-21 02:43 PM
    I fail to see how it helps an argument when examples of others acting contrary to good security policy are brought up.

I see doctors and nurses who smoke.
    Also a different situation as most those enterprise Lenovo "pc" product are sitting behind a cooperate firewall with other end-point protection solutions protecting the company data.
    conite and anon(5597702) like this.
    04-08-21 02:51 PM
    Also a different situation as most those enterprise Lenovo "pc" product are sitting behind a cooperate firewall with other end-point protection solutions protecting the company data.
    Exactly, but earlier it was called acting contrary to good security policy and likened to doctors and nurses smoking.
    04-08-21 03:26 PM

When I ported over from the Key2, it installed all my BlackBerry apps. I decided to delete them and try BlackBerry free. The only thing I'm still working on is what's the best email app. Outlook has been recommended.

Anything that can offer consolidated inbox and sent items like the Hub Inbox would be ideal.
    Excellent question! Anyone?
    Stinkycat71 likes this.
    04-08-21 06:54 PM
    Excellent question! Anyone?
    Except the HUB doesn't show most sent items anymore because of Google's new constraints.

So no, nothing else can do that either.

But Android 11/12 has really revamped its notification tray, and that should be more than adequate for that.

Otherwise, Gmail, Outlook, Spark, Nine, and Aqua are great choices for email clients.
    04-08-21 07:00 PM
    Yet Putin and Xi are dictating mandatory apps installed..... Theoretical similarity is far different than practiced reality. Like Canada versus the USA where even with closer similarities, vastly different psyche, no?
    04-08-21 09:51 PM

I used some years ago a G7 Power. The first phone with an insane battery I ever used. Then found for a super price a much faster G8 Plus and a G Pro (Stylus in the US), with android one and patches every two months max. I am very impressed by the quality of Motorola in terms of material, anyway they phones are getting huge and heavy. Software is very good. Nice camera and great the Moto Actions.

I ignore if they send datas to China, for sure the privacy specially with Android is not good. You may set up your phone/account with some steps to increase, but at the end of the day forget about privacy.
    04-09-21 04:44 PM

I ignore if they send datas to China, for sure the privacy specially with Android is not good. You may set up your phone/account with some steps to increase, but at the end of the day forget about privacy.
    With this kind of attitude, it's no wonder why you don't prioritise security.

You are in control of your privacy, so long as you start from a place of being well-secured.

There is a huge range of privacy-focused behaviours and settings on Google Android. And beyond that, you can even install LineageOS and only use FOSS apps. Combine all that with a great tracker-blocker & a cranked-up TOR browser, and you can be as tight as a drum.
    Last edited by conite; 04-09-21 at 05:44 PM.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    04-09-21 05:09 PM
    With this kind of attitude, it's no wonder why you don't prioritise security.

You are in control of your privacy, so long as you start from a place of being well-secured.

There is a huge range of privacy-focused behaviours and settings on Google Android. And beyond that, you can even install LineageOS and only use FOSS apps. Combine all that with a great tracker-blocker & a cranked-up TOR browser, and you can be as tight as a drum.
    Yes, BCS everybody is aware of these advices, right?

But then how do you know if I do or not prioritize Security? Another vaporware comment from you....
    04-09-21 05:59 PM
    Yes, BCS everybody is aware of these advices, right?
    Your comment regarding privacy didn't seem contingent on the widespread understanding of Google settings or alternate ROMs.

You can throw in the towel on privacy if you choose - but many of us don't want to and we certainly don't need to.
    But then how do you know if I do or not prioritize Security?
    If you've already thrown in the towel on privacy, then why would you care about security? In other words, if you've decided you don't care who has your data, why would you care how they obtain it?
    Last edited by conite; 04-09-21 at 10:05 PM.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    04-09-21 08:16 PM
43 12