I've been reading the storm2 forums and it seems that the Droid has invaded the forums over there...either people are trying to decide between the s2 and the droid or they are really pissed that the Droid is getting so much attention...it's like the iPhone craze all over again (it's either you love the iPhone or you hate it on here) and I think the Droid is getting that same type of treatment...yes the phone hasn't been released yet but it has gotten some pretty positive responses from reviewers and the videos of it in action clearly shows how powerful this phone is...

anyway, my point is that there really shouldn't be so much hostility presented over this phone, I mean it is just a phone right? It just seems like BB fanboys dismiss this phone and claim that it's ugly (matter of personal opinion i suppose) or that the Storm2 is better, etc. without even trying the thing in person...Hey at one point I was a BB fangirl, I defended the first Storm like crazy on here but I cannot do it any longer when there are so many other innovative phones that will soon be arriving...I think the Droid and other Android phones will hurt RIM in the consumer realm, maybe not business so much, but definitely in the consumer market...I just hope these phone advances actually pushes RIM to make better consumer friendly phones...ok, that's all I wanted to say...can't wait for the D-D-D-DROID!
    10-29-09 12:46 PM
    The Droid is new competition. Competition is key in motivating companies to keep innovating their products. I hope that if RIM loses customers to the Droid that it will step up their game.
    10-29-09 12:50 PM
    I don't think so reason being is because u have a lot of BB users who would consider the Droid os more so than an iphone. For two main reasons.
    1. It multitasks
    2. Changeable batt.
    oh and let me add a third not as restricded as an iphone.
    Plus from what I am noticing people who are leaning towards
    the droid aren't as smug as iphone users tend to be.
    Yeah there is some semi bashing going on. But
    the devices represents two distinct mindsets. Imo.
    10-29-09 01:12 PM
    yeah, I just think it's really funny how people are so protective over their phones...I read some of these threads, particulary the storm2 because I want to see how it is "better" than the original, and if someone says something negative about the phone, everyone jumps on that guy/girl and calls them a troll...and don't even bring up the Droid or the iPhone in the conversation, it'll have people fuming...one guy went crazy when the droid and iphone were bought up in conversation...i think he made a thread that specifically stated "do not mention Droid or iPhone"...hehe...it's just hilarious to me that people go crazy and defend these phones like it's their job...
    10-29-09 01:40 PM
    yeah, I just think it's really funny how people are so protective over their phones...I read some of these threads, particulary the storm2 because I want to see how it is "better" than the original, and if someone says something negative about the phone, everyone jumps on that guy/girl and calls them a troll...and don't even bring up the Droid or the iPhone in the conversation, it'll have people fuming...one guy went crazy when the droid and iphone were bought up in conversation...i think he made a thread that specifically stated "do not mention Droid or iPhone"...hehe...it's just hilarious to me that people go crazy and defend these phones like it's their job...
    Or they own the company
    10-29-09 01:45 PM
    First, everyone is saying how great the Droid is, yet it hasn't been relesed yet. Second, why come over to the Storm2 forum to discuss the Droid, why not just stay in their own forum? I wouldn't even be here, but whats good for the goose .... I can probably see why though, with only 127 posts in the Android forum, trolls are trying to stir up interest. LOL.
    10-29-09 01:48 PM
    First, everyone is saying how great the Droid is, yet it hasn't been relesed yet. Second, why come over to the Storm2 forum to discuss the Droid, why not just stay in their own forum? I wouldn't even be here, but whats good for the goose .... I can probably see why though, with only 127 posts in the Android forum, trolls are trying to stir up interest. LOL.
    Nah I think it was more or less current S1 users trying to make an educated decision wether to upgrade to S2 or go with Droid.
    U Storm users are rabid man
    10-29-09 01:53 PM
    There is a Droid Army amassing.... seriously.
    10-29-09 03:15 PM
    There is a Droid Army amassing.... seriously.
    Great.... so now we'll have a Droid army fighting against the Storm Troopers. lol
    10-29-09 03:23 PM
    There really is no comp between the storm and the droid. The droid obviously trumps over it. Just one thing is holding me back from getting it though. And that's the lack of memory for apps. 256mb of rom. Really that's it? Cmon moto/google/verizon. How could you let this fly over your heads?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 03:29 PM
    Just one thing is holding me back from getting it though. And that's the lack of memory for apps. 256mb of rom. Really that's it? Cmon moto/google/verizon. How could you let this fly over your heads?

this is true. They could have not merely competed with Apple's market share but crushed it if they would have even just given it 8gigs of onboard memory.

They made a HUGE mistake
    10-29-09 03:58 PM
    this is true. They could have not merely competed with Apple's market share but crushed it if they would have even just given it 8gigs of onboard memory.

They made a HUGE mistake
    Exactly. They cant use the excuse of it being to expensive either. The 8gb iphone sells for $99 for goodness sake.
    10-29-09 04:09 PM
    Exactly. They cant use the excuse of it being to expensive either. The 8gb iphone sells for $99 for goodness sake.
    lol yup..........
    10-29-09 04:29 PM
    I think the Droid offers competition in places the iphone couldn't imagine. PLUS it is on the same carrier as the storm, so it will really make things harder.
    10-29-09 04:30 PM
    I've had the S1 since release day Nov. 21, 2008 and many BB devices before that but am looking hard at the Droid. I admit that I've never heard of Android OS. I'm curious as to how stable it is. I hated the Windows Mobile devices.

One thing that concerns me is Google's tracking what people do and their involvement in this OS.
    10-29-09 04:37 PM
    I've had the S1 since release day Nov. 21, 2008 and many BB devices before that but am looking hard at the Droid. I admit that I've never heard of Android OS. I'm curious as to how stable it is. I hated the Windows Mobile devices.

One thing that concerns me is Google's tracking what people do and their involvement in this OS.
    LOL google isn't spying on you that'd be illegal. Take the tinfoil hat off, Android's very stable and open source.
    10-29-09 05:16 PM
    LOL google isn't spying on you that'd be illegal. Take the tinfoil hat off, Android's very stable and open source.
    Google tracks our Web habits. Should we care? - Dec. 31, 2008
    11-01-09 08:08 AM
    Stores also keep track of what products they sell. DON'T EVER GO TO THE GROCERY STORE!~!!!!

You are a nutjob. They aren't keeping tabs on INDIVIDUALS.
    11-01-09 09:17 AM
    Great.... so now we'll have a Droid army fighting against the Storm Troopers. lol
    I think there is a movie about that.
    11-01-09 09:27 AM
    Stores also keep track of what products they sell. DON'T EVER GO TO THE GROCERY STORE!~!!!!

/quote/
    But Google & Co. gather a lot of information about you as you surf, including the date and time for your search, your search terms, and your IP address, which can help identify your computer and, more important as far as advertisers are concerned, your location.
    /end/

They aren't keeping tabs on individuals, just IP addresses. That would make me feel better.

Man, and you guys think the Storm users are rabid, get a load of this guy :P
    11-01-09 09:37 AM
    There really is no comp between the storm and the droid. The droid obviously trumps over it. Just one thing is holding me back from getting it though. And that's the lack of memory for apps. 256mb of rom. Really that's it? Cmon moto/google/verizon. How could you let this fly over your heads?

People keep making comments about the the app storage. The phone has 512mb rom and 256 ram. The Storm2 and Tour have 256mb of ram total for storing apps, the OS and running everything. The Droid and other Android phones use their memory a little differently. The 256mb of app memory is just for app memory. So instead of having 150mb of app memory and total ram when you first get the phone you actually have close to 256mb. This is also helped by the fact that Android apps are on par with BB apps as far as size and memory usage goes. Would 8GB or more be preferred? Of course, but as I have said in other threads, I have a friend with a G1 running 70+ apps who has 15.4mb of memory left and his phone runs very smooth (G1 only has 192mb or something like that too).

Check out this video YouTube - phandroid's Channel and you will see at about the 7 min 52 second mark that the available memory on the phone is 243mb. That is with the OS and all the "stock" apps installed.

On top of all that you can actually "root" the phone and run a script called APP2SD that will let you use around 1.5 GB of the SD card for app storage. You also have to remember that most of the apps you have are not everyday use apps. If you need more room you can simply uninstall an app and then reinstall it from the Android Marketplace when you need it again. It is much faster and easier to do than BB app world.
    11-01-09 09:43 AM

Well then explain to me that why is there this black Lincoln with 2-3 guys in it parked outside my place everynite? It was never there until I signed up for the Droid newslettrer.

11-01-09 11:06 AM
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet but I'm assuming my feeling toward Android coming from BB is the same as most people fed up with OS issues, it is one of HOPE... HOPE for an OS... HOPE for functionality that works... and HOPE for a browser with FLASH! It's a step forward where RIM seems to be shuffling it's feet in no particular direction.

The Moto Droid itself doesn't do it for me but the Android OS and the processor technology being put to use with good architecture for once (sorry RIM) is keeping me intrigued!
    11-01-09 12:38 PM
    /quote/
    But Google & Co. gather a lot of information about you as you surf, including the date and time for your search, your search terms, and your IP address, which can help identify your computer and, more important as far as advertisers are concerned, your location.
    /end/

They aren't keeping tabs on individuals, just IP addresses. That would make me feel better.

Man, and you guys think the Storm users are rabid, get a load of this guy :P
    Unless you're paying a lot for a static IP it's very likely your IP changes monthly. Do you have any discount cards for grocery stores? They probably have your name and number and address in addition to your purchasing habits. Google has a lot less on you.
    11-01-09 12:50 PM
    Nice.

11-01-09 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD