Does android/droid have:
    -cut and paste
    -ability to transfer contacts and memo pad from BB
    -easy program to back stuff up (don't care about syncing)
    -a native memo pad
    -native ability to see excel docs
    -able to play cds I burned to pc that I drag and drop to device

Thanks. Love my storm. But tempted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 04:18 PM
    Does android/droid have:
    -cut and paste
    -ability to transfer contacts and memo pad from BB
    -easy program to back stuff up (don't care about syncing)
    -a native memo pad
    -native ability to see excel docs
    -able to play cds I burned to pc that I drag and drop to device

Thanks. Love my storm. But tempted.

1 - Yes, it will cut and paste
    2 - If you use outlook then transferring the info shouldn't be a problem. If you don't then using Best Buy's new program/service should probably take care of it.
    3 - Backing things up with gmail and google calendar is pretty automatic otherwise there is the Best Buy option and I know that there is other software out there for PC based back ups.
    4 - Yes, it has a notepad
    5 - Yes, it comes with Docs to Go
    6 - Yes, it works a lot like the BlackBerry in this regard. It will also sync with Windows Media Player and I believe iTunes as well.
    10-30-09 04:57 PM
    Droids prompt you to set gmail acct if u don't have one and they back all ur info wirelessly so if u were to lose your phone once u connect the new phone to ur gmail acct all ur info is back I.e. Contacts calender emails

10-30-09 05:44 PM
    Droids prompt you to set gmail acct if u don't have one and they back all ur info wirelessly so if u were to lose your phone once u connect the new phone to ur gmail acct all ur info is back I.e. Contacts calender emails

There is also a feature in the marketplace (Android app store) that will show you all the apps you had installed on your previous Android phone if you ever switch to a new device. I thought that was pretty cool.
    10-30-09 05:53 PM
    Skydeck is available for Android. It works nicely on my Storm
    10-30-09 06:17 PM
    Thanks.

Few other qs

1. Is there a password keeper type program. I have all my passwords on it in my BB

2. How to sync if your not interested in info going to another location (like it backed up on my cpu only)

10-30-09 06:33 PM
    There is also a feature in the marketplace (Android app store) that will show you all the apps you had installed on your previous Android phone if you ever switch to a new device. I thought that was pretty cool.
    Yeah and when you pay for an app, its not tied to the phone. Get a new phone, re-download your paid apps with no extra costs. I had 3 different Blackberrys and had to pay for the same app 3 times.

Edit: Now that I re-read your post, that may have been what you were saying.
    10-30-09 07:23 PM
    Actually for BB at mobihand you can change your pin

10-30-09 08:20 PM
    Thanks.

Few other qs

1. Is there a password keeper type program. I have all my passwords on it in my BB

2. How to sync if your not interested in info going to another location (like it backed up on my cpu only)

Yes, there is a password keeper app.

There is software out there that will let you sync to the desktop, but it kind of goes against what Android is about. The concept is that you don't have to sync because all of your information is stored on the cloud. You aren't really supposed to need any type of syncing tool. This is also what Palm is doing with WebOs. So you are not syncing your phone with one computer you are syncing your phone with every computer you access.

Here is one such product Companion Link
    This is designed to sync Outlook with Google to Android and back. It is all OTA and no wires needed from what I can see.
    10-30-09 09:06 PM
    Yes, there is a password keeper app.

There is software out there that will let you sync to the desktop, but it kind of goes against what Android is about. The concept is that you don't have to sync because all of your information is stored on the cloud. You aren't really supposed to need any type of syncing tool. This is also what Palm is doing with WebOs. So you are not syncing your phone with one computer you are syncing your phone with every computer you access.

Here is one such product Companion Link
    This is designed to sync Outlook with Google to Android and back. It is all OTA and no wires needed from what I can see.
    I prefer keeping my data local/on a server I have total control over rather than in the cloud. Not a slam on Android at all; it's a different philosophy. If you are comfortable with having all your data in the cloud then it shouldn't be a detractor if you're considering an Android device. If you don't, it's something to be cognizant of.
    10-30-09 09:13 PM
    I prefer keeping my data local/on a server I have total control over rather than in the cloud. Not a slam on Android at all; it's a different philosophy. If you are comfortable with having all your data in the cloud then it shouldn't be a detractor if you're considering an Android device. If you don't, it's something to be cognizant of.
    Where do you think it goes if you use google now?

I already use google for mail, calendar, contacts, maps, reader, sync, etc. That info is already in the cloud.
    10-30-09 09:18 PM
    Where do you think it goes if you use google now?

I already use google for mail, calendar, contacts, maps, reader, sync, etc. That info is already in the cloud.
    Who said I use google now
    10-30-09 09:22 PM
    Touche.

Seriously though, your point may be valid for some people. If you are talking about business info you could always use exchange on the phone.
    10-30-09 09:26 PM
    I don't know any power tech user who doesn't use google for at least 2 or 3 seperate things. It's nice to have one google account that I can use to access all my google stuff. I already have google sync on my BB and it backed up my contacts to my gmail account, so once I upgrade to my ADP1 next week or so, I'll already have all my contacts ready to go.

And storing your contacts on your computer doesn't do you any good when you're out in the middle of some place far from your house.
    10-30-09 09:29 PM
    Regarding wireless backup, what does it backup? I do not want my private emails, documents pictures etc.. going onto the gmail server.
    10-30-09 09:40 PM
    It syncs your contacts to your gmail account. If you already use gmail, all that stuff already exists there. And it's encrypted and safe. Your email is already ON a server somewhere or goes through it.

You people are nuts.
    11-01-09 12:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD