Mobile security firm warns of new Android Trojan

Lookout Mobile Security, which just raised fresh capital to boost its fight against mobile malware, said it has identified the peskiest cell phone threat to date.

The Android Trojan, dubbed Geinimi, has cropped up in China and is capable of taking a significant amount of personal data and sending it to remote servers.

Lookout said Geinimi displays botnet-like qualities and is the most sophisticated wireless malware it has seen. Thus far, infected programs have only been seen on various Chinese app stores.

"Geinimi is effectively being 'grafted' onto repackaged versions of legitimate applications, primarily games, and distributed in third-party Chinese Android app markets," Lookout said in a blog post on Wednesday. "The affected applications request extensive permissions over and above the set that is requested by their legitimate original versions."
    Mobile security firm warns of new Android Trojan | Security - CNET News
    12-30-10 12:40 AM
    Thank goodness I don't play video games of any sort, let alone insufficient and socially-retarding tele-renditions. I like my dungeons in Europe and dragons in mythological folklore, the rest are just less gothic version of it.
    12-30-10 12:49 AM
    It says "primarily games" but the concept could be applied to any app.

Be careful where you get your apps from...
    12-30-10 01:14 AM
    Don't download apps from a Chinese server. Anyone connected to the internet not from China should know this. There is absolutely nothing to worry about.
    12-30-10 01:51 AM
    It begins, and ends with the user, and his /her responsibility
    12-30-10 01:54 AM
    Don't download apps from a Chinese server. Anyone connected to the internet not from China should know this. There is absolutely nothing to worry about.
    These two post should be married and live in harmony.
    12-30-10 10:00 AM
    This is correct no matter the platform.
    12-30-10 10:05 AM
    This is correct no matter the platform.
    I can't agree with this as some infect you just by clicking on a link.
    12-30-10 11:04 AM
    It's a Trojan, not a virus. Trojans will exist on any OS as long as there is people to download it...
    12-30-10 11:32 AM
    Could you be more naive? This is just where they are seeing it start. What makes you think it will just stay there?

I'm just trying to keep people informed and aware but if YOU say there is nothing to worry about, then nevermind.
    12-30-10 12:29 PM
    Could you be more naive? This is just where they are seeing it start. What makes you think it will just stay there?

I'm just trying to keep people informed and aware but if YOU say there is nothing to worry about, then nevermind.
    How am I naive? They aren't available on other market places. It is only available in the Chinese market. What is naive about that? It has been confirmed this is the case, so at this point, once again, there is nothing to worry about. I never said it wouldn't reach the U.S.

Sorry, but I haven't trusted Chinese servers since I first got on the internet. I'm pretty sure China has the most malicious internet activity in the world.
    12-30-10 01:13 PM
    This looks good for "lookout" software huh? I wouldn't worry one bit. As AVT said, keep off third party android sites from China, that is just asking for it.
    12-30-10 01:47 PM
    This looks good for "lookout" software huh? I wouldn't worry one bit. As AVT said, keep off third party android sites from China, that is just asking for it.
    Shhh, don't say that. You are naive.
    12-30-10 01:48 PM
    shhh, don't say that. You are naive.

你可以从我们的网站,我们的意思是你没有伤害。顺便说一下,你会像其他百事可乐或雪碧
    12-30-10 02:33 PM

你可以从我们的网站,我们的意思是你没有伤害。顺便说一下,你会像其他百事可乐或雪碧
    AHH! I'm being hacked!

PS- I like Pepsi and Sprite.
    12-30-10 02:41 PM
    Wanna bet that LookOut developed it. Soon they're going to create the "cure" for it and start charging for the app. ;D

Chinese, always ruin everything! LOL!
    12-30-10 02:41 PM
    Wanna bet that LookOut developed it. Soon they're going to create the "cure" for it and start charging for the app. ;D

Chinese, always ruin everything! LOL!
    Honestly I can see that happening. They provide anti-virus/trojan/malware/thinktheycansaveyourdevicefromyourself software, and there have only been a few known "attacks" on Android devices in general.
    12-30-10 02:47 PM
    Honestly I can see that happening. They provide anti-virus/trojan/malware/thinktheycansaveyourdevicefromyourself software, and there have only been a few known "attacks" on Android devices in general.
    Mission Impossible 2? Eh... i don't think Lookout created it. And they only thing they are charging for is monitoring of applications that monitor your personal information.
    12-30-10 03:00 PM
    Yea I do not think they are doing it, but I can see it happening.
    12-30-10 03:02 PM
    Yea I do not think they are doing it, but I can see it happening.
    it could happen. Just like the guberment made that mutant Flu virus that was going around a few years back

lol
    12-30-10 03:03 PM
    it could happen. Just like the guberment made that mutant Flu virus that was going around a few years back

lol
    Let's not get started on the government. I believe there are several viruses around the world that humans have been diagnosed with that were created by humans in a lab. Let's just say I don't believe in that "man had sex with a monkey" bull****.
    12-30-10 03:11 PM
    You guys would have made great lookouts on the Titanic: "It's just a tiny piece of ice floating on the water, full speed ahead..."

Swine flu Pandemic advice: "Just don't go to Mexico..."
    12-30-10 03:15 PM
    Let's not get started on the government. I believe there are several viruses around the world that humans have been diagnosed with that were created by humans in a lab. Let's just say I don't believe in that "man had sex with a monkey" bull****.
    Oh i don't doubt it. Don't doubt it one bit.
    12-30-10 03:21 PM
    You guys would have made great lookouts on the Titanic: "It's just a tiny piece of ice floating on the water, full speed ahead..."

Swine flu Pandemic advice: "Just don't go to Mexico..."
    Actually no. If I saw ice in the water the would be the last thing I said if i was on a boat in the middle of the ocean. It would be like "turn the ******* boat there is ice in our way"... And the Swine flu? We all know actual DISEASE spreads faster than a Trojan only available in Chinese app stores targeting specific users.
    12-30-10 03:37 PM
    Shhh, don't say that. You are naive.
    哈哈,尼夫。我覺得好笑的是人覺得有點德軍隊中的缺陷,機器人軍隊的行動,然後需要作出天啊,到底是在這裡 。考特一直在尋找這些漏洞出售他們的軟件到機器人的世界。平原和簡單。
    Allow me
    Ha ha, Naive. I find it funny how people find a little teck flaw in the army, android's army of operations, and then need to make a oh god, the end is here. Lookout has been searching for these flaws to sell thier sofware to the droid world. Plain and simple.
    I recall them doing something similar soon as it arrived to the moto droid. Nothing to be concered with. No worse than the BB hacks.
    Last edited by johnly; 12-31-10 at 01:03 AM.
    12-30-10 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD