Which is why an open-world platform can help - as we have access to tracker blocking apps like Netguard and Blokada.
    But you have to be intelligent enough to install and use them.

My Mum is 78. And she is more intelligent than most her age, but she worries, she isn’t clued enough up to install apps and I don’t always have the time

I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m loving an open platform. My desktop PC is an R Pi. Running Ubuntu or Retropie when I feel like it (you have to love Retropie - you can play Super Mario with Nintendo Wii remotes)

Empty your inbox and I will PM you my email address, I’d like to chat about technical writing
    06-29-20 09:58 AM
    Which is why an open-world platform can help - as we have access to tracker blocking apps like Netguard and Blokada.
    Which what percentage of users know the existence and how to use it? This is already a point to of discussion. I must say with Android version 10 there have been huge steps with privacy control, at least for me, but I am not technical. But it is the OS or maybe how the apps work in its ground that it is no privacy and so security friendly. I have been working in countries not democratic or where democracy was only a word in the books....I could see strange advertisement from local business within apps and this already makes me worrying a lot. Not that I have something to hide, but this shows how Android may be not that good for me. But again, you guys are more technical and can teach me more.
    06-29-20 11:41 AM
    Which what percentage of users know the existence and how to use it? This is already a point to of discussion. I must say with Android version 10 there have been huge steps with privacy control, at least for me, but I am not technical. But it is the OS or maybe how the apps work in its ground that it is no privacy and so security friendly. I have been working in countries not democratic or where democracy was only a word in the books....I could see strange advertisement from local business within apps and this already makes me worrying a lot. Not that I have something to hide, but this shows how Android may be not that good for me. But again, you guys are more technical and can teach me more.
    No where have I suggested that Android works out-of-the-box best for everyone.

My only point was that for those who KNOW, it is very private.

But don't be fooled, all of those same apps track you on Apple just as much as Android - it's just that Apple proper is less data-hungry than Google proper. But the latter can be managed too.
    Last edited by conite; 06-29-20 at 12:26 PM.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-29-20 11:48 AM
    Even the BlackBerry assistant, was recording everything and sent it off shore
    I think it is important to point out that BB Assistant actively informed the user and gave them the option to turn off the more advanced features (Full Assistance Mode) which required the use of off-device processing.

If turned off, then all voice commands were supposed to be processed on the device only.
    06-29-20 08:28 PM
    I currently run a nokia 6.1 as my primary device and have received the latest security update (May 2020) several weeks ago. I am yet to install this update and am somewhat reluctant to do so.

I have concerns about the additional functions and access granted by this update that permits contact tracing apps to interact with my device. From what I have read thus far, no more access has been granted with this change, if the tracing apps themselves are not installed. Is this correct? There are so many different apps by different nations, is there a common function that interacts with the OS changes?

Everything I have read are statements by Google that have been repeated by others. Therefore I am not entirely convinced that “off really means off” and that when a toggle is selected to the off position, it really is “off”.

I was hoping some of those with superior system knowledge can provide some input on this subject. Both Apple and Google have changed their OS’s to permit contact tracing but as both are proprietary systems, it is difficult to understand what has really changed and whether the user is further exposed and how they are further exposed.

WIth regards to Android, is this change a Google Android change only? Do custom ROMs (no Google) avoid this change in permission access and access?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    From what I've read on Google's version of the contact tracing support, it is going to be done via Google Play Services and not a security patch or OS update. Which means that it will be pushed via an update from the Play Store.

Apple on the other hand is going to push it via an OS update.

If this is true, then this will only affect those users who use Google Play Services on their devices. If you disable Google Play Services, then there shouldn't be any changes to your device.

In any case, the standard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth considerations against tracking apply - keep them off unless actively using them.

https://static.googleusercontent.com...ion-v1.3.2.pdf
    Last edited by chetmanley; 06-29-20 at 08:46 PM.
    06-29-20 08:36 PM
    From what I've read on Google's version of the contact tracing support, it is going to be done via Google Play Services and not a security patch or OS update. Which means that it will be pushed via an update from the Play Store.

Apple on the other hand is going to push it via an OS update.

If this is true, then this will only affect those users who use Google Play Services on their devices. If you disable Google Play Services, then there shouldn't be any changes to your device.

In any case, the standard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth considerations against tracking apply - keep them off unless actively using them.

https://static.googleusercontent.com...ion-v1.3.2.pdf
    Thank you for your input again chetmanley. I had misread that it was coming via a security update - the delivery via play services makes more sense.

Much appreciated
    06-29-20 08:57 PM
    I think it is important to point out that BB Assistant actively informed the user and gave them the option to turn off the more advanced features (Full Assistance Mode) which required the use of off-device processing.

If turned off, then all voice commands were supposed to be processed on the device only.
    No all voice commands were processed on a server somewhere

I didn’t care because I was being paid by them
    06-30-20 12:23 AM
    Thank you for your input again chetmanley. I had misread that it was coming via a security update - the delivery via play services makes more sense.

Much appreciated
    Google play services are part of the Android OS

What helped the Android player on BB10 when they finally supported it
    06-30-20 12:27 AM
    Google play services are part of the Android OS

What helped the Android player on BB10 when they finally supported it
    Google play services are part of Google android. My questions here were to determine what part of android was responsible for this change.

An experienced member here has identified that is was the Google play services update. Google android is not the only option in the android world.
    06-30-20 12:33 AM
    Google play services are part of Google android. My questions here were to determine what part of android was responsible for this change.

An experienced member here has identified that is was the Google play services update. Google android is not the only option in the android world.
    The operating system?
    06-30-20 12:35 AM
    The operating system?
    Android custom ROMs.
    06-30-20 12:38 AM
    Android custom ROMs.
    I don’t use them.

You should probably watch HumanCentiPad
    06-30-20 12:39 AM
    I don’t use them.

You should probably watch HumanCentiPad
    I gave upon Southpark after season 3-4. Will have to find this episode.
    06-30-20 12:42 AM
    S15E01

Kyle gets kidnapped by Apple
    07-01-20 01:11 AM
    S15E01

Kyle gets kidnapped by Apple
    Okay that sounds worth watching.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-20 01:46 AM
    Okay that sounds worth watching.

Posted via CB10
    It’s funny but also quite disturbing
    07-01-20 02:17 AM
    Also, someone claimed Android was more secure than iOS, but Google primarily is an advertising company that wants your personal data to tailor your adverts, whereas Apple doesn’t do advertising and is quite vocal about privacy

And as for voice commands, try putting a packet capture on your phone and issue a voice command apart from “call ...” if you use SIRi, Google Home, BlackBerry Assistant (I know BlackBerry used a 3rd party) Google and Apple probably use their own - haven’t tried with Cortana

Samsung TVS AMD the original XBOX with their motion capture thingy were recording everything you said.

And as I mentioned Google Home devices do

My NVidia Shield TV does too and that runs Android
    07-05-20 05:29 PM
    Also, someone claimed Android was more secure than iOS, but Google primarily is an advertising company that wants your personal data to tailor your adverts, whereas Apple doesn’t do advertising and is quite vocal about privacy

And as for voice commands, try putting a packet capture on your phone and issue a voice command apart from “call ...” if you use SIRi, Google Home, BlackBerry Assistant (I know BlackBerry used a 3rd party) Google and Apple probably use their own - haven’t tried with Cortana

Samsung TVS AMD the original XBOX with their motion capture thingy were recording everything you said.

And as I mentioned Google Home devices do

My NVidia Shield TV does too and that runs Android
    You’re arguing tallest midget at this point or shortest giant if you prefer. They’re all so closely related since consumers by and large have no problems
    07-06-20 11:23 AM
43 12