I currently run a nokia 6.1 as my primary device and have received the latest security update (May 2020) several weeks ago. I am yet to install this update and am somewhat reluctant to do so.

I have concerns about the additional functions and access granted by this update that permits contact tracing apps to interact with my device. From what I have read thus far, no more access has been granted with this change, if the tracing apps themselves are not installed. Is this correct? There are so many different apps by different nations, is there a common function that interacts with the OS changes?

Everything I have read are statements by Google that have been repeated by others. Therefore I am not entirely convinced that “off really means off” and that when a toggle is selected to the off position, it really is “off”.

I was hoping some of those with superior system knowledge can provide some input on this subject. Both Apple and Google have changed their OS’s to permit contact tracing but as both are proprietary systems, it is difficult to understand what has really changed and whether the user is further exposed and how they are further exposed.

WIth regards to Android, is this change a Google Android change only? Do custom ROMs (no Google) avoid this change in permission access and access?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    06-28-20 11:03 PM
    From what I understand it was supposed to be an opt in.

Apple and Google put it in to try and help stop the spread of COVID-19

Contact tracing worked in South Korea and New Zealand so why would one want to turn it off?
    06-28-20 11:17 PM
    From what I understand it was supposed to be an opt in.

Apple and Google put it in to try and help stop the spread of COVID-19

Contact tracing worked in South Korea and New Zealand so why would one want to turn it off?
    It depends where you live and what the data could be used for. There are many other reasons why proximity data can be used.

That is my concern - hence the OP
    06-29-20 12:52 AM
    Being a Nokia device and security patch maybe more info in Android Central Forum.
    06-29-20 04:32 AM
    Being a Nokia device and security patch maybe more info in Android Central Forum.
    Thanks, I will check there.
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-29-20 05:17 AM
    I currently run a nokia 6.1 as my primary device and have received the latest security update (May 2020) several weeks ago. I am yet to install this update and am somewhat reluctant to do so.

I have concerns about the additional functions and access granted by this update that permits contact tracing apps to interact with my device. From what I have read thus far, no more access has been granted with this change, if the tracing apps themselves are not installed. Is this correct? There are so many different apps by different nations, is there a common function that interacts with the OS changes?

Everything I have read are statements by Google that have been repeated by others. Therefore I am not entirely convinced that “off really means off” and that when a toggle is selected to the off position, it really is “off”.

I was hoping some of those with superior system knowledge can provide some input on this subject. Both Apple and Google have changed their OS’s to permit contact tracing but as both are proprietary systems, it is difficult to understand what has really changed and whether the user is further exposed and how they are further exposed.

WIth regards to Android, is this change a Google Android change only? Do custom ROMs (no Google) avoid this change in permission access and access?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    If you’re lucky, @chetmanley may have some knowledge as well
    06-29-20 06:35 AM
    If you’re lucky, @chetmanley may have some knowledge as well
    Would be great to hear his views on this.
    06-29-20 06:46 AM
    It depends where you live and what the data could be used for. There are many other reasons why proximity data can be used.

That is my concern - hence the OP
    You run Android so you must have accepted that Google sucks all your personal data to push adverts, because that is how they make money

You have more privacy with iOS because of Tim Cook (he stands up and wants to keep his private life private)
    06-29-20 06:58 AM
    You run Android so you must have accepted that Google sucks all your personal data to push adverts, because that is how they make money

You have more privacy with iOS because of Tim Cook (he stands up and wants to keep his private life private)
    I minimise Google as much as I can with this phone. My issue is not Google directly, it is the changes that they are making and who else can benefit from the additional access / information that these changes enable.

Where I reside most of the time, free speech does not exist. Special laws exist for computer crimes and social media is monitored continually by the govt. The rate of monitoring is increasing and therefore one needs to be aware of what is being collected and made available.

Whilst I don't use social media, I do use end to end encrypted messaging apps and a VPN with no logs based outside of the USA. At times I will get sent something potentially touchy and even receiving such a message can be risky.

The authorities continually request Data dumps from social media and request messaging app owners to override privacy settings to access messages and other data. The same with telcos.

Even though laws exist to limit what is provided, companies don't have the time and resources to remove certain data to comply with exact sharing requirements. They just dump the whole data set.

My concerns are what else is now being collected directly or indirectly? The changes enable apps to interact and share, collate and download data.
    06-29-20 08:03 AM
    I minimise Google as much as I can with this phone. My issue is not Google directly, it is the changes that they are making and who else can benefit from the additional access / information that these changes enable.

Where I reside most of the time, free speech does not exist. Special laws exist for computer crimes and social media is monitored continually by the govt. The rate of monitoring is increasing and therefore one needs to be aware of what is being collected and made available.

Whilst I don't use social media, I do use end to end encrypted messaging apps and a VPN with no logs based outside of the USA. At times I will get sent something potentially touchy and even receiving such a message can be risky.

The authorities continually request Data dumps from social media and request messaging app owners to override privacy settings to access messages and other data. The same with telcos.

Even though laws exist to limit what is provided, companies don't have the time and resources to remove certain data to comply with exact sharing requirements. They just dump the whole data set.

My concerns are what else is now being collected directly or indirectly? The changes enable apps to interact and share, collate and download data.
    You aren’t minimising Google though.

You chose to run Android which is delivered by Google

What is being collected?

Everything. It listens and records your conversations. Geotraces. BlackBerry were the same
    06-29-20 08:55 AM
    You aren’t minimising Google though.

You chose to run Android which is delivered by Google

What is being collected?

Everything. It listens and records your conversations. Geotraces. BlackBerry were the same
    Nothing is recorded unless you choose to use "ok Google" or the voice assistant.

By adjusting the privacy settings, and by not using Google's services, you can cut harvesting by 99%.

You can use Netguard or Blokada to eliminate all trackers too - which is something you can't do on iOS.

For those who know how, Android is far more private than iOS - even without root. That's the downside of a walled garden.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-29-20 08:57 AM
    Nothing is recorded unless you choose to use "ok Google" or the voice assistant.

By adjusting the privacy settings, and by not using Google's services, you can cut harvesting by 99%.
    You sure about that?

Samsung got taken to town about it
    06-29-20 08:58 AM
    And OK Google is on by default until you turn it off. You have to choose not to use it
    06-29-20 08:59 AM
    Even the BlackBerry assistant, was recording everything and sent it off shore
    06-29-20 09:01 AM
    Microsoft got panned because the Xbox was watching you
    06-29-20 09:02 AM
    And OK Google is on by default until you turn it off. You have to choose not to use it
    Microsoft got panned because the Xbox was watching you
    It takes a bit of knowledge and effort, no doubt. But when done correctly, Android is far more private than iOS.
    06-29-20 09:07 AM
    It takes a bit of knowledge and effort, no doubt. But when done correctly, Android is far more private than iOS.
    I don’t doubt because it is Linux based, but look around. The general public do not have any common sense. But that’s another conversation
    06-29-20 09:30 AM
    I’m sorry for sounding off at you. You seem a clued up person.

I get frustrated when people go on to the forum and whine.

I love blackberry, best company I worked for but also the most frustrating

Again I’m sorry - I’m big and ugly enough to say that
    06-29-20 09:34 AM

Your PM box was full
    06-29-20 09:34 AM
    Even when not in use?
    06-29-20 09:46 AM
    To me the main problem with Android are the apps. Last time I checked Crackberry they had 17 or 18 trackers. Wtf!! This is normal for their business, but I think absolutely insane for the public.
    06-29-20 09:47 AM
    Even when not in use?
    Yes when not in use. They sit there and listen to you.

Google Home devices are the worst. It would listen while I talked in my sleep and send text messages to my brother (because it was paired with my Pixel)
    06-29-20 09:48 AM

No worries. I'm more of a technical writer, so I can come off as quite officious at times. Cheers!
    06-29-20 09:49 AM
    To me the main problem with Android are the apps. Last time I checked Crackberry they had 17 or 18 trackers. Wtf!! This is normal for their business, but I think absolutely insane for the public.
    Which is why an open-world platform can help - as we have access to tracker blocking apps like Netguard and Blokada.
    06-29-20 09:50 AM
    No worries. I'm more of a technical writer, so I can come off as quite officious at times. Cheers!
    Cheers

I may ask you for some tips as I’m thinking about doing that
    06-29-20 09:50 AM
43 12