i feel that the droid is amazing in terms of raw power...but the delivery of many features leaves a lot to be desired. I also feel that navigating through android 2.0 on what is supposed to be one of the fastest phones in the current market just isn't "zippy" enough. there are regular lags, especially when pulling down the notification bar, and transitions in general aren't as snappy. is it just me, or do you guys feel the same way?
    11-25-09 02:28 AM
    The OS is young, and there certainly are things that can be smoothed out for sure. There already are 2 updates scheduled, one in December, and one in January I believe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 03:05 AM
    Yeah there are two updates scheduled. Dec 11th and don't remember the date in January but I'm hoping the one in January includes the flash support!!!!
    11-25-09 05:20 AM
    i feel that the droid is amazing in terms of raw power...but the delivery of many features leaves a lot to be desired. I also feel that navigating through android 2.0 on what is supposed to be one of the fastest phones in the current market just isn't "zippy" enough. there are regular lags, especially when pulling down the notification bar, and transitions in general aren't as snappy. is it just me, or do you guys feel the same way?
    I disagree. I feel like it's zippy as hecck. I am fully satisfied and the updates are a bonus.
    11-25-09 06:36 AM
    Its pretty snappy for me. Like other said the updates will improve the general performance of the device. Compared to the device I came from s2, the droid is ten times better performance wise. Dont want to make this into a s2 vs droid thread. Just mho.
    11-25-09 06:44 AM
    I had a Bold 9000 prior to my droid, and the speed is 10 times over what I had. There is almost zero lag, no battery pulls and start up in 45 seconds or less, yeah, I love it. My only complaint so far is the keyboard. I am no where as fast as I am with my Blackberry. But for everything else the Moto Droid is great.
    11-25-09 06:48 AM
    I had a Bold 9000 prior to my droid, and the speed is 10 times over what I had. There is almost zero lag, no battery pulls and start up in 45 seconds or less, yeah, I love it. My only complaint so far is the keyboard. I am no where as fast as I am with my Blackberry. But for everything else the Moto Droid is great.
    The physical keyboard could have been better. Like having keys that are not flat, but whatever. I noticed in landscape mode i can type quick as heckk! No need for a replacement keyboard. Also the spelling correction is good.

If there is a word you spell often and is not in your dictionary all you have to do is hold the word for 2 seconds and it will save it.

I would have freaked if the made the droid with no slider!
    11-25-09 06:58 AM
    I have to agree with you 100% that the spelling correction is outstanding. It knows better what I want to type than I do. Freaky.
    11-25-09 07:16 AM
    I have to agree with you 100% that the spelling correction is outstanding. It knows better what I want to type than I do. Freaky.
    What i found awesome was that it would suggest the correct names of people that aren't contact in messages, email etc...

Some of the names aren't common either...

Great phone, Great service, Great screen, don't know how to act anymore without having a phone that I need to tweak and upgrade every day!
    11-25-09 07:19 AM
    I agree that the home screen and notifications panel could be a lot smoother, but overall multitasking blows any other Android phone out of the water. Opening, closing, and switching between apps is insanely fast. But for some reason, functions that were perfectly smooth on the G1 and other phones with less horsepower seem to stutter on the Droid.

I'm hoping these will be addressed in future updates, but, I'm skepticle. The G1 was plagued with so many issues, and it took Google months to address them. And no offense to Google or Motorola, but I'm not putting any "update faith" in the developers. I won't believe any sort of update is coming until I've installed it, used it, and can confirm it's actually resolved whatever issue it's supposed to fix. I see wayyyy too many people saying "Oh, well don't worry, there's an update coming in December, and in January." Don't put too much stock in software release dates. Release dates in the cell phone world change with the winds, so don't be surprised if the December/January updates are pushed back, even by a few days.

I don't mean to sound totally negative. I love my Droid, and I think it's the best phone I've ever owned for many reasons. I just hope its few slight issues are addressed as scheduled. I haven't seen the jittery home screen and notifications panel listed on any of the tentative software update lists, so, I'm not anticipating a fix anytime soon. It's not terribly bothersome at all, either. It doesn't take away from the experience of the Droid. It's just one of those slight annoyances that I hope is addressed. Laggy/jerky/jittery animations on a phone surrounded by hype isn't going to impress non-Droid owners as much as it would otherwise.

Just my 2 cents.
    11-25-09 07:36 AM
    I have no problems with mine. But can't wait or the updates for improvements.

11-25-09 07:49 AM
    I have no problems with mine. But can't wait or the updates for improvements.

Love the screen name !!! LOL!!!
    11-25-09 07:54 AM
    The droid is okay at best. The web browser is nice, the notification area needs work, the email is crappy (you can't adjust the fonts or many other settings). Email for other accounts suck other than gmail. The calender stinks, the lock button at the top of the screen stinks.

In reality, other than the web browser and the apps available to the phone, the Droid is not much better than the Storm 2.

The Droid is more of a fun toy to play with. Not real productive (or at least it is hard to be productive).

If you like to tinker and download apps that are pretty much useless, then the Droid is for you.

If not, go to the Storm 2. You can't go wrong.
    11-25-09 09:02 AM
    The droid is okay at best. The web browser is nice, the notification area needs work, the email is crappy (you can't adjust the fonts or many other settings). Email for other accounts suck other than gmail. The calender stinks, the lock button at the top of the screen stinks.

In reality, other than the web browser and the apps available to the phone, the Droid is not much better than the Storm 2.

The Droid is more of a fun toy to play with. Not real productive (or at least it is hard to be productive).

If you like to tinker and download apps that are pretty much useless, then the Droid is for you.

Boils down to this:

If you NEED NEED NEED multiple push e-mail accounts, might want to consider a Berry over a Droid.

Else, get yourself a Droid. There are A LOT of useful apps, and the overall speed of the Droid over the Storm 2 makes for a great experience. The Droid okay at best? I think, err, know, that's just you, and your personal preference. Your few small gripes with the phone and its email are non issues to most.
    11-25-09 09:08 AM
    The main thing about the Android OS really is the ability to customize it. When I got mine the rep said theres not really any instructions in here and I was like thats ok I like to figure things out myself. Very similar to Linux which really lets you have endless possibilities. On the learning curve its obviously on the higher end but you can make it do so much. My Storm was so limited on what I could do (besides the memory part lol) not to say I won't miss it but I am really happy.
    11-25-09 09:29 AM
    I think an issue a lot of people will run into intially, myself included, is the transition from one OS to another. Once you give it some time, you will definitely learn the little things that will make the device more appropriate to your use. Just figured out last night that you can swipe down on the keyboard to make it disappear, just like on the Storm. It's a learning curve. I think waiting that out will make a big difference in the usability of the device.
    11-25-09 09:33 AM

LOL I sense sarcasm here vaguely.
    11-25-09 09:35 AM
    Check out the dolphin browser if you haven't already. Its got multitouch zoom and custom gestures. Is also just as fast as the default

11-25-09 09:43 AM
    There will always be room for improvement on anything...but the droid, lackadaisical?, it is not. The Droid has the multi layered graphics on the panoramic home screen. No other cell phone is attempting to render HD graphics like the droid, so comparing it to phones with older style screens is unlovely (go ahead and laugh).....the droid is the accelerated device out there and has yet to be considered a procrastinator.
    11-25-09 10:01 AM
    I'm not understanding the fun of the multitouch. The Droid still has the double tap to zoom which works well, so what other benefits does the multitouch have?

Check out the dolphin browser if you haven't already. Its got multitouch zoom and custom gestures. Is also just as fast as the default

11-25-09 10:12 AM
    Hit the home button instead of the back button u will notice a big difference.
    11-25-09 10:12 AM
    Hit the home button instead of the back button u will notice a big difference.
    The Verizon rep told me to hit the back button to close out, the irony of it. Hitting the home button once to finish is nice (and correct). I wonder how many people are walking out of that store misinformed and why the Verizon guy is saying that? Oh yea, he told me to watch you tube videos to learn about the device...ha ha....I think going to Motorola.com is more beneficial.
    11-25-09 10:25 AM
    The Verizon rep told me to hit the back button to close out, the irony of it. Hitting the home button once to finish is nice (and correct). I wonder how many people are walking out of that store misinformed and why the Verizon guy is saying that? Oh yea, he told me to watch you tube videos to learn about the device...ha ha....I think going to Motorola.com is more beneficial.
    God, don't get me started on VZW reps!

Went to VZW today because my screen would kinda click when i was typing. Verizon Rep said, " You have to call Tech support first before i can do anything". I said, " It is not a issue that can be worked out over the phone, you need Physically see and hold the phone to figure out the problem". VZ rep said, "that is the procedure". I starred at him in utter disbelief of the stupidity!

He started to say call 1-800 blah blah blah. So I dial *611 and the CS rep, said "why did he say to call us?".I said, "I wish i knew". She noted my account, I walked up to a different rep and exchanged my Droid for a new one.

The Rep that exchanged my Droid couldn't figure out why he had me call CS either...
    11-27-09 03:49 PM
    Motorola Droid is a very nice phone. I found it to be quite zippy, with some minimal lag. For me personally I find the Eris to be more useful for my needs. Again everyone has their own opinions to go along with their needs and wants.
    11-27-09 04:53 PM
    the eris is a good device from what ive used it. but the need to have physical keys pushed me to the droid. i honestly would say they run about the same speed wise to me...i didnt notice much difference
    11-27-09 05:05 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD