Hello,
    I know it's probably not achievable, but I would like to know if you have recommandations/tips/softwares that can secure a "generic" android device.
    I'm aware about root-of-trust and Dtek stuff on a Blackberry device, which is something that can't be replaced.

I read here a lot about Netguard, which I bought, I also carefully configured my Google account to avoid every tracking feature I was able to have a control on.

Thanks for your suggestions, ideas.
    02-20-20 04:04 AM
    Hello,
    I know it's probably not achievable, but I would like to know if you have recommandations/tips/softwares that can secure a "generic" android device.
    I'm aware about root-of-trust and Dtek stuff on a Blackberry device, which is something that can't be replaced.

I read here a lot about Netguard, which I bought, I also carefully configured my Google account to avoid every tracking feature I was able to have a control on.

Yeah need to dig into NetGuard settings, some additional features that can be manually implemented, including some ad blocking..

There are lots of tech and privacy sites out there with tips on how to secure Android Devices.
    02-20-20 07:57 AM
    The most important thing you can do is minimize your "attack surface." Using Netguard and looking down apps when not in use is a great first step. In general,

-- Use as few apps as possible.
    -- Only use apps from companies you trust.
    -- Give apps as few permissions as possible.
    -- Turn off permissions when not in use.
    -- Delete apps you only use occasionally and reinstall them when needed.
    -- Don't reuse credentials.
    -- Use a trustworthy VPN

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    mh1983 and Summer_Moon like this.
    02-20-20 08:03 AM
    Thank you for your detailled suggestions ! I also need to dig into Netguard parameters.
    I don't download much apps, and only apps from the Play Store
    02-20-20 09:58 AM
    Hello,

what makes you think that?

Just buy a samsung device - it will be as secure for a consumer as any blackberry.
    02-21-20 03:13 PM
    Hello,

Buy a samsung device with knox. It has prebuilt security sets. Next you just need to do some stuffs to manage your privacy/permissions management.
    02-21-20 07:15 PM
    Thank you for your detailled suggestions ! I also need to dig into Netguard parameters.
    I don't download much apps, and only apps from the Play Store
    Whoever said the Play Store was safe? Plenty of examples of apps that weren't, and unknown what still might be lurking.
    02-21-20 09:20 PM
    Whoever said the Play Store was safe? Plenty of examples of apps that weren't, and unknown what still might be lurking.
    Not even the BB10 App Store was safe as it can happen anywhere
    02-21-20 09:40 PM
    The easiest way to make a generic Android as secure as a BlackBerry, would be to remove the logo and the BlackBerry label off of the BlackBerry.
    02-21-20 10:20 PM
    what makes you think that?

Just buy a samsung device - it will be as secure for a consumer as any blackberry.
    No it won’t as KNOX is for the enterprise user...

Get a Pixel. You get the latest security updates. Yes the build quality is questionable and limit what apps you install etc
    02-22-20 04:13 AM
    No it won’t as KNOX is for the enterprise user...

I never mentioned Knox - but that is not true - yes there are specific knox features for enterprise MDM but even for a consumer it provides security features.

For the average user who is only downloading mainstream apps from the play-store and does not turn off the security features - there is absolutely no practical difference in the risk profile - the security features of a samsung phone provide as much security for a consumer as any blackberry - arguable more given that Samsung have more control over the supply-chain that BBRY.

The fantasy that BBRY provided some amazing additional security benefits to consumers is just a fantasy - and one that did not sell.
    Ashley Taylor likes this.
    02-22-20 07:26 AM
    I never mentioned Knox - but that is not true - yes there are specific knox features for enterprise MDM but even for a consumer it provides security features.

For the average user who is only downloading mainstream apps from the play-store and does not turn off the security features - there is absolutely no practical difference in the risk profile - the security features of a samsung phone provide as much security for a consumer as any blackberry - arguable more given that Samsung have more control over the supply-chain that BBRY.

The fantasy that BBRY provided some amazing additional security benefits to consumers is just a fantasy - and one that did not sell.
    You are absolutely right.

The Fantasy was about 10 years ago with BB
    02-22-20 07:51 AM
    Hello,

Buy an Android 10 device. You can block app permissions including location which can be limited to only when you are actually using the app...something that Android 8.1 or BlackBerry devices couldn't do. Im slowly getting used to my new Pixel 4xl. No regrets.
    Last edited by pgg101; 02-22-20 at 12:18 PM.
    02-22-20 08:19 AM
    I mean, additional security features that are only provided by a few manufacturers (BlackBerry, Samsung...), and who are welcomed.
    02-23-20 04:41 AM
    I download very few apps, and take some informations about those before downloading. I'm aware that even on the PS, there are malicious apps.
    02-23-20 04:43 AM
    Hello,

Also recommend not using your Google account on whatever device you choose - it is not required to run the phone and you can find the same applications with other methods.

Simply having Google software on the device will allow Google to collect on you.

I've looked at a couple devices recently. Despite the recent bad press regarding TCL accidently loading spyware on our phones via Preview, I've found that the TCL BB is the cleanest offering of Android available.

Every other vendor I've looked at has far more spyware baked into system applications - Huawei, Sony, Samsung, and even Nokia have unsavory system applications which connect with data collectors such as Facebook, tencent, Google and others.

In terms of security against physical access, BB is the only offering which hasn't publicly been reported as being unlockable. Samsung, LG, Sony, and iPhone have vulnerabilities which can allow an attacker with physical access to bypass system locks depending on the specific model.

https://cf-media.cellebrite.com/wp-c...ium_A4_web.pdf

I would also stay away from any device with a Mediatek chipset as these have also been found to have vulnerabilities which allow physical, lock-byspassing access.

Yes, Netguard is an excellent solution which would allow for the control of connections from these spyware plagued devices, but it's kinda like taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back with many devices because they are so full of spyware right from the beginning, let alone once the user starts installing applications. At least the TCL BB is relatively "clean" from that perspective.
    Last edited by chetmanley; 02-23-20 at 10:42 PM.
    02-23-20 10:23 PM
    Also recommend not using your Google account on whatever device you choose - it is not required to run the phone and you can find the same applications with other methods.

Simply having Google software on the device will allow Google to collect on you.

I've looked at a couple devices recently. Despite the recent bad press regarding TCL accidently loading spyware on our phones via Preview, I've found that the TCL BB is the cleanest offering of Android available.

Every other vendor I've looked at has far more spyware baked into system applications - Huawei, Sony, Samsung, and even Nokia have unsavory system applications which connect with data collectors such as Facebook, tencent, Google and others.

In terms of security against physical access, BB is the only offering which hasn't publicly been reported as being unlockable. Samsung, LG, Sony, and iPhone have vulnerabilities which can allow an attacker with physical access to bypass system locks depending on the specific model.

https://cf-media.cellebrite.com/wp-c...ium_A4_web.pdf

I would also stay away from any device with a Mediatek chipset as these have also been found to have vulnerabilities which allow physical, lock-byspassing access.

Yes, Netguard is an excellent solution which would allow for the control of connections from these spyware plagued devices, but it's kinda like taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back with many devices because they are so full of spyware right from the beginning, let alone once the user starts installing applications. At least the TCL BB is relatively "clean" from that perspective.
    You do realise who does Android? Google.
    02-24-20 03:03 AM
    You do realise who does Android? Google.
    AOSP is completely clear of all things Google.

It's the Google Services framework and the app suite that does all the tracking.
    02-24-20 07:58 AM