Hey guys. I would like some advice, or input, etc. I recently made the switch from being a hardcore BlackBerry fan. 8 days ago I got the Dinc2 and I am loving Android even more than I thought I would after playing with friend's phones. However, battery life is just terrible IMO. I never had an issue with BlackBerry's and making it through a day. With my Dinc2 towards the end of the night I need to get it on a charger or I am down in the yellow. And this is without using it nearly as much as I would like to. It's a real shame I hold off using the phone so the battery can last through the day. I have also turned off all the battery sucking features except for when I get them.

I read about people who either hate Dinc2 battery life or love it, so I can only assume those claiming to get 2 days of heavy use out of their Dinc2 consider heavy use making one quick call and sending 2 texts. That, or my phone and the phone's of others complaining of battery life must be defective. So I know Verizon has some 14 day policy, should I try swapping this out for another Dinc2? Is it possible my Dinc2 is defective in the battery life department? As far as I know there isn't another phone that is supposed to be better for battery life so I am not sure what else would be suggested for me. I'd really hate to go back to the dying BlackBerry platform or spend the money on an extended battery to make my phone twice the size and weight. Any chance they will let me exchange when something with a bigger battery such as the Bionic comes out even though 14 days will have passed? .... Sorry for rambling, just looking for some input on options, as much as I love the features of this phone I don't wanna be stuck with this battery life till my next 20 month upgrade eligibility. (btw, I ordered the phone through Verizon over the phone as that was the best price at the time)

Thanks
    07-07-11 07:03 AM
    Let me be the first to welcome you to the Dark Side. We have GingerBread cookies.

There are a few things that you can do to improve your battery life on your Dinc2. One of the main things to do is to "condition" your battery. I put that in quotes because it is just calibrating the software so it learns when the battery is fully charged as opposed to it thinking it is fully charged.

Here are the steps for that.

Official response from HTC RE: How to double battery Life (WORKS!) + 2nd Reply - xda-developers

You can also turn off a lot of the extraneous features that, IMHO, do not make the Android experience better or worse.

20 tips to improve HTC EVO 4G battery life

In the end, if possible, you can root the device and add a custom ROM and Kernel which can facilitate much better battery life.

Verizon Droid Incredible 2 - xda-developers

I hope this helps you stay in the fold. One of the things that you have to consider is that it is a high-end smartphone that has a lot of power, so it will use a lot of juice. You can always get an extended battery, but I never saw it necessary as I get at least a day out of my phone and I am a pretty heavy user.
    07-07-11 08:25 AM
    Thanks for the info Dark Phoenix. I'm going to try these steps, the battery life on this Inspire is horrendous.
    07-07-11 09:33 AM
    honestly being in the "yellow" after a full day isnt bad, that means still having a couple hours left. Rooting and running a different kernel/rom is your best bet to save life. I ran my Incredible without shutting anything down and it would do 20 hours normally with moderate use. My thunderbolt isnt quite as good but still getting 15-17 moderate use.
    07-07-11 12:38 PM
    Install the app juice defender, not sure if its one word or two. It's shuts off the network when you turn off the screen so you would only get calls, texts. Increases battery life quite a bit.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

07-08-11 11:53 PM
    Install the app juice defender, not sure if its one word or two. It's shuts off the network when you turn off the screen so you would only get calls, texts. Increases battery life quite a bit.

Does this work the same as having the phone in airplane mode?
    With airplane mode, I was not able to send nor receive text messages.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    07-09-11 12:00 AM
    Does this work the same as having the phone in airplane mode?
    With airplane mode, I was not able to send nor receive text messages.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    no its just the data connection. all sms and calls would come thru
    07-09-11 01:01 AM
    no its just the data connection. all sms and calls would come thru
    I went ahead and purchased the Ultimate version.
    What's the best preset or setting to use for the best battery life & performance?
    07-09-11 10:04 PM
    i honeslty dont know, i have never messed with it. alot of people swear by it. 15 minutes would be about the right time i think to start with
    07-09-11 10:11 PM
    I went ahead and purchased the Ultimate version.
    What's the best preset or setting to use for the best battery life & performance?
    I'm not really sure yet since I'm still pretty new to this. There are probably threads to show how to customize the settings to a person's liking. I would recommend using either the balanced or aggressive setting since those are preset with settings already.

07-09-11 11:42 PM

Sorry to **** in, I was only intending to read, but this is the most ridiculous thing ever suggested to a smartphone user. Turn data off? Really? So no emails, IM etc unless you awake your screen?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

07-13-11 05:19 PM
    Sorry to **** in, I was only intending to read, but this is the most ridiculous thing ever suggested to a smartphone user. Turn data off? Really? So no emails, IM etc unless you awake your screen?

that what i say too but some people do it. **** they get 2 days of battery life too so it does work. and actually you can set it to 15 minutes instead of "screen off" which mean you still get your emails and everything else pretty quickly.
    07-13-11 05:34 PM
    that what i say too but some people do it. **** they get 2 days of battery life too so it does work. and actually you can set it to 15 minutes instead of "screen off" which mean you still get your emails and everything else pretty quickly.
    Not exactly an always on experience, and rules out the use of IM as well.

07-13-11 05:50 PM

well certain apps you can allow to push thru and turn the data connection back on but in general yes.
    07-13-11 05:59 PM

If you educate yourself as a user and turn off synching for apps and process that are not critical, you save battery life. If you don't need WiFi or 4G on, you turn those services off. If you don't need your GPS on, you turn it off. Bluetooth, same thing, turn it off when not in use. These all save battery life without sacrificing the user experience.
    07-13-11 07:04 PM
    Adding my add'l sixpence.

One feature that some of the Android devices (HTC at least) has is something called "Mobile Data Always On". If you disable this, your 3G will go to sleep once the phone is idle for more than 5 mins. It saves a ton of battery for me, and I still get my email, IMs, and facebook updates. It would be under the "Wireless and Networks" tab in the Settings menu.
    07-18-11 01:57 PM
    Adding my add'l sixpence.

One feature that some of the Android devices (HTC at least) has is something called "Mobile Data Always On". If you disable this, your 3G will go to sleep once the phone is idle for more than 5 mins. It saves a ton of battery for me, and I still get my email, IMs, and facebook updates. It would be under the "Wireless and Networks" tab in the Settings menu.
    you still get them but they can be delayed some
    07-18-11 02:20 PM
    you still get them but they can be delayed some

Which doesn't bother me to be honest. The only email that I need "right now" is work related emails and that is scheduled to poll every 15 mins. As long as my texts and phone calls come in i am good. I am often on Wifi at work and at home anyway.
    07-18-11 03:46 PM
    This to me sounds like buying a Ferrari then speeding up and coasting in neutral to save fuel

07-18-11 03:56 PM
    This to me sounds like buying a Ferrari then speeding up and coasting in neutral to save fuel

When petrol is more than 142.80p per gallon, you can bet I will do what I can to save. :P
    07-19-11 08:09 AM
    When petrol is more than 142.80p per gallon, you can bet I will do what I can to save. :P
    Try �1.35

07-19-11 08:11 AM
    Try �1.35

Per gallon or litre?

If it's per gallon, it actually cheaper there than it is here @ $3.95 USD per gallon.
    07-19-11 09:38 AM
    Per gallon or litre?

If it's per gallon, it actually cheaper there than it is here @ $3.95 USD per gallon.
    Litre I'm afraid.

07-19-11 09:49 AM
    Litre I'm afraid.

At that price, I would be pushing my Ferrari wherever I went. I hope you have a diesel or a litre car.
    07-19-11 09:57 AM
    Hey guys. I would like some advice, or input, etc. I recently made the switch from being a hardcore BlackBerry fan. 8 days ago I got the Dinc2 and I am loving Android even more than I thought I would after playing with friend's phones. However, battery life is just terrible IMO. I never had an issue with BlackBerry's and making it through a day. With my Dinc2 towards the end of the night I need to get it on a charger or I am down in the yellow. And this is without using it nearly as much as I would like to. It's a real shame I hold off using the phone so the battery can last through the day. I have also turned off all the battery sucking features except for when I get them.

I read about people who either hate Dinc2 battery life or love it, so I can only assume those claiming to get 2 days of heavy use out of their Dinc2 consider heavy use making one quick call and sending 2 texts. That, or my phone and the phone's of others complaining of battery life must be defective. So I know Verizon has some 14 day policy, should I try swapping this out for another Dinc2? Is it possible my Dinc2 is defective in the battery life department? As far as I know there isn't another phone that is supposed to be better for battery life so I am not sure what else would be suggested for me. I'd really hate to go back to the dying BlackBerry platform or spend the money on an extended battery to make my phone twice the size and weight. Any chance they will let me exchange when something with a bigger battery such as the Bionic comes out even though 14 days will have passed? .... Sorry for rambling, just looking for some input on options, as much as I love the features of this phone I don't wanna be stuck with this battery life till my next 20 month upgrade eligibility. (btw, I ordered the phone through Verizon over the phone as that was the best price at the time)

Thanks
    There are a bunch of tips to conserve battery on your Android. But I hate doing that because, why have a phone that does all this and turn all the features off?

I went with a 2700 extended battery and my Tunderbolt lasts a long time with heavy use without draining into red. Of course, I charge it every night anyway. But love it for times when I'm traveling or not near a power source.

So, since I have the extended that means I also have a spare stock battery just in case I need a quick change of batt. Never have so far.

08-26-11 11:32 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD