I am with Verizon and I don't have an upgrade so I will have to buy a used Droid. I can get a mint Eris for $150 but I'm not sure if they are good phones. There are so many different models so I don't want to mess this up. Will I be happy with the Eris or are they a lower level Droid? If not the Eris, what other Android should I look for?
    08-15-10 04:26 PM
    I am with Verizon and I don't have an upgrade so I will have to buy a used Droid. I can get a mint Eris for $150 but I'm not sure if they are good phones. There are so many different models so I don't want to mess this up. Will I be happy with the Eris or are they a lower level Droid? If not the Eris, what other Android should I look for?
    The Eris is completely outdated. I would go with the Droid 2, Incredible or Droid X. They are the best Android devices on Verizon right now. The DX and Incredible I think are the best in general.
    08-15-10 04:32 PM
    Sun light issues with the DX? I know its hard to see the incredible. That's why I love the bb's screen resolution.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 05:22 PM
    The Eris is completely outdated. I would go with the Droid 2, Incredible or Droid X. They are the best Android devices on Verizon right now. The DX and Incredible I think are the best in general.
    The OP stated they didn't have an upgrade so how are they gonna get those phones cheap unless price is not an option for them?
    08-15-10 06:06 PM
    Sun light issues with the DX? I know its hard to see the incredible. That's why I love the bb's screen resolution.

I can see the screen perfectly fine in the sun.
    08-15-10 06:16 PM
    The OP stated they didn't have an upgrade so how are they gonna get those phones cheap unless price is not an option for them?
    Yea my bad, I just noticed that now. I would get the Droid then, it is better than the Eris. The Droid shouldn't be too much money. And if you are willing to spend retail price, get the DX or the Incredible.
    08-15-10 06:18 PM
    I can see the screen perfectly fine in the sun.
    Good.

08-15-10 06:26 PM
    I just ordered a sony erricsson xperia mini is it a good andriod phone ?

08-15-10 07:52 PM
    I just ordered a sony erricsson xperia mini is it a good andriod phone ?

no its not
    08-16-10 09:09 AM
    droid 2 or DX for verzion, xperia mini isn't that great
    08-16-10 01:51 PM
    I wouldn't buy from Sony right now... doesn't the Xperia line have Android 1.6 on it?
    08-16-10 02:04 PM
    You can get an HTC Eris from VZW as a certified like new device for $150 or $170. I dont remember the exact price but it was in that ballpark. Just call them up and ask them, they will even ship it to you via FedEx overnight or 2 day.
    08-16-10 02:36 PM
    Original Moto Droid would probably be best for you, best balance of cost and speed. Yes it's somewhat outdated, BUT not as much as the Eris. It's fully upgradable to 2.2, and most likely will come already upgraded to 2.1. (possibly even to 2.2)

EDIT: I was able to trade my Storm2 for a Moto Droid about a month ago. You might try go that route, or selling the Storm2 and then using the proceeds to get a used Droid, MAYBE even trying for an Incredible or X.
    08-16-10 02:52 PM
    I agree with most. Moto Droid.
    08-16-10 03:30 PM
    I wouldn't buy from Sony right now... doesn't the Xperia line have Android 1.6 on it?
    yup x10 and the mini running 1.6 os
    08-16-10 04:50 PM
    Don't get the Eris... get the original Droid at the very least.
    08-16-10 05:02 PM
    Original Moto Droid would probably be best for you, best balance of cost and speed. Yes it's somewhat outdated, BUT not as much as the Eris. It's fully upgradable to 2.2, and most likely will come already upgraded to 2.1. (possibly even to 2.2)

EDIT: I was able to trade my Storm2 for a Moto Droid about a month ago. You might try go that route, or selling the Storm2 and then using the proceeds to get a used Droid, MAYBE even trying for an Incredible or X.
    I found a guy with a 3 month old Incredible in great shape that will trade me straight up for my Storm 2. I asked him to meet me at a Verizon store so we can both be comfortable doing the trade. What things should I look out for with a used Incredible? Do you think a Verizon rep would be willing to look at both our phones to make sure we both get a working phone? Other than push email and BBM, will I miss the S2?
    08-16-10 08:03 PM
    I found a guy with a 3 month old Incredible in great shape that will trade me straight up for my Storm 2. I asked him to meet me at a Verizon store so we can both be comfortable doing the trade. What things should I look out for with a used Incredible? Do you think a Verizon rep would be willing to look at both our phones to make sure we both get a working phone? Other than push email and BBM, will I miss the S2?
    i would just have the verizon rep take a look at the phone. also check to see if the esn on the incredible is clean also before making the trade. and no you will not miss your storm 2. Androidmafia is the way to go
    08-16-10 08:45 PM
    I got a mint condition used Moto Droid off Ebay for $175 and it came with 2.1. Read the androidcentral forum to learn to root it and upgrade to a custom Froyo (2.2) rom. I've had the droid for three weeks and will never go back to my BB.
    08-22-10 03:16 AM
    You are able to get a certified like new droid from VZW as well. My brother purchased one for $200 from them.
    08-22-10 08:45 AM
    Lennie, I bought an Incredible off of Philly's Craigslist. I'd recommend you start looking there. Just be sure to meet the seller AT a VZW store. Once VZW moves the device onto your line, then hand over the dough.
    08-22-10 02:26 PM
    I would jump at this. If you have a gmail account, you'll still get push and GTalk is in many ways superior to BBM

• Can verbally dictate messages or use the keyboard
    • Open to all platforms/devices
    • Can send/receive messages via phone or via PC
    08-22-10 02:33 PM
    First off-I agree that the incredible, X and moto droid 2 are awesome, but one thing I dont understand is why everyone is bashing a 1 year old phone-the eris. Ive had the original droid, it was pretty awesome, I loved it, but missed my blackberry, then I got a 8530 and then got an Eris. I must admit I really do miss my original droid, but Ive experienced absolutely none of the problems or slowness issues with the Eris, Infact I have loved how small it is and how its rounder. If you can get a new and better phone, awesome, do it! In fact Im looking to get another moto droid, but in all honesty I see absolutely nothing wrong/out dated with the eris, I just think as soon as people see new devices come out everyone should have one, and if you have an Eris is automatically sucks. Thats just my 2 cents.
    08-22-10 06:22 PM
    I just got the droid eris today and I love it, I had a blackberry curve 2 but decided to make the jump to the droid so far I love it.
    08-22-10 09:01 PM
    I would jump at this. If you have a gmail account, you'll still get push and GTalk is in many ways superior to BBM

• Can verbally dictate messages or use the keyboard
    • Open to all platforms/devices
    • Can send/receive messages via phone or via PC
    Thanks Mike, I pulled the trigger and traded the guy after meeting him at the City Line Ave VZW store. The techs there were really helpful and went over both our phones to make sure everything was working. They even activated both our phones and transferred all our info. I am not getting all my emails though. Here is what I did: I created a Gmail account and forwarded my Comcast and Yahoo accounts to the Gmail. On the Incredible, I set up the Gmail account but not the Comcast or Yahoo accounts. I get 1 or 2 emails every once in awhile but I am not getting most of them. Do I need to set up the Comcast and Yahoo email accounts or should they be coming through the Gmail since I forwarded them?
    08-23-10 06:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD