I've been a BB fan for the longest time. I've always told myself that blackberry will get back into the game. they have bb10 coming, and it will rock all else. That my bold 9900 is still a great phone. But today, my girlfriend came over with her new Galaxy Note. And I must say.. my bb9900 looks like a 90's phone compared to it.

The fluidity of the touch screen, the shear speed of the browser, the camera, is just insanely better than what we have.

The only thing I can think of that i still like about my BB, is the keyboard. But everything else, it doesn't even compare.

Since she just got the device, i told her to see if they have netflix. and bam. they do. and SKYPE. for FREE. not IM+ . But skype, with video calling. I must say i was very impressed.

Also, i told her to download whatsapp, since we can't bbm anymore while we were both downloading whatsapp, she asked me how to add me on her contact list. This was when i realized that she already downloaded, installed, and launched the program (without having to restart).. while my BB was still downloading the app at 25%!

Also, the stylus is a great and useful pointing device, and the size of the phone is a positive, not a negative, regardless of what apple tells us. You just have to try it for yourself. The only thing I found to be iffy is the battery life, but I just find the positives outweigh the negative.

I'm not sure how long i can tell myself BB will come thru. I know i want them to, but its hard to keep faith when everyones just so much further ahead.

I still love my BB9900, and this thread was not meant to bash BB or to boost Samsung, i just wanted to share my story today.
    muzichead, cinnamin, bbui4 and 1 others like this.
    03-16-12 03:11 AM
    I still love my BB9900, and this thread was not meant to bash BB or to boost Samsung, i just wanted to share my story today.
    Lol yeah ok.
    03-16-12 03:15 AM
    Lol yeah ok.
    I do, can't someone love something but admire others?
    Chrisy and bbui4 like this.
    03-16-12 03:17 AM
    OP,
    So you signed up here to post this?? For God sakes its not a competition between phones. If you like the Note, buy yourself one.

Personally,the Note seems like a foolish idea. Might as well put a laptop to your head. But that's my opinion. You can buy the Note if you like it and you should. You get no points for sticking with BB if you don't like it.
    03-16-12 03:23 AM
    Sounds awesome. I'm just a little hesitant to carry a 5 inch screen device as my everyday phone.

But Note specs are top of the line. While BB has a single 1.2Ghz processor. So the performance is definitely going to be insane on the Galaxy Note. Hence the download, install, and launch.

Definitely hoping for the best when BB10 comes out.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-16-12 03:26 AM
    OP,
    So you signed up here to post this?? For God sakes its not a competition between phones. If you like the Note, buy yourself one.

Personally,the Note seems like a foolish idea. Might as well put a laptop to your head. But that's my opinion. You can buy the Note if you like it and you should. You get no points for sticking with BB if you don't like it.
    I signed up to post it, yes. because it was kind of a revelation for me like i said in my thread, i wanted to write my story. and i do not intend for it to bash bb or "troll". Isn't this the "general discussion" forum? I'd like to hear if people have experienced the note, and how it compares to their blackberry. from my experience, its been surprisingly good, sans the battery life and onscreen keyboard.

ps. i didn't know that it's a blasphemy to mention anything other than a bb here lol keep an open mind people..
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-16-12 03:30 AM
    Sounds awesome. I'm just a little hesitant to carry a 5 inch screen device as my everyday phone.

But Note specs are top of the line. While BB has a single 1.2Ghz processor. So the performance is definitely going to be insane on the Galaxy Note. Hence the download, install, and launch.

Definitely hoping for the best when BB10 comes out.
    I agree, speed is so much faster. The main thing is battery life. I've found it sucks the life out of it on LTE. i guess thats the price you have to pay..
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-16-12 03:31 AM
    I've been a BB fan for the longest time. I've always told myself that blackberry will get back into the game. they have bb10 coming, and it will rock all else. That my bold 9900 is still a great phone. But today, my girlfriend came over with her new Galaxy Note. And I must say.. my bb9900 looks like a 90's phone compared to it.

The fluidity of the touch screen, the shear speed of the browser, the camera, is just insanely better than what we have.

The only thing I can think of that i still like about my BB, is the keyboard. But everything else, it doesn't even compare.

Since she just got the device, i told her to see if they have netflix. and bam. they do. and SKYPE. for FREE. not IM+ . But skype, with video calling. I must say i was very impressed.

Also, i told her to download whatsapp, since we can't bbm anymore while we were both downloading whatsapp, she asked me how to add me on her contact list. This was when i realized that she already downloaded, installed, and launched the program (without having to restart).. while my BB was still downloading the app at 25%!

Also, the stylus is a great and useful pointing device, and the size of the phone is a positive, not a negative, regardless of what apple tells us. You just have to try it for yourself. The only thing I found to be iffy is the battery life, but I just find the positives outweigh the negative.

I'm not sure how long i can tell myself BB will come thru. I know i want them to, but its hard to keep faith when everyones just so much further ahead.

I am a Samsung, Android fan with a Galaxy Nexus, but that Note is too huge. I don't get it. How does that thing fit in a pocket or purse? It is like carrying an LCD Monitor. That thing is a tablet.
    Chrisy and kbz1960 like this.
    03-16-12 03:36 AM
    I have a feeling, one big opportunity for RIM can be releasing the first LTE phone with a good battery life. Lets hope that's why they are holding back and waiting for the new chips. The new LTE phones i've heard have terrible battery life.
    03-16-12 03:36 AM
    I am a Samsung, Android fan with a Galaxy Nexus, but that Note is too huge. I don't get it. How does that thing fit in a pocket or purse? It is like carrying an LCD Monitor. That thing is a tablet.
    yeah its like you either hate it or you love it. it fit into my pant pocket ok, but there's definitely a bulge. nothing wrong with that right?
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-16-12 03:38 AM
    I signed up to post it, yes. because it was kind of a revelation for me like i said in my thread, i wanted to write my story. and i do not intend for it to bash bb or "troll". Isn't this the "general discussion" forum? I'd like to hear if people have experienced the note, and how it compares to their blackberry. from my experience, its been surprisingly good, sans the battery life and onscreen keyboard.

ps. i didn't know that it's a blasphemy to mention anything other than a bb here lol keep an open mind people..
    There are Android forums to discuss the Note. Even on CB there is an Android sub forum.

Posting in General Discussion is only for BB related subjects.

Maybe the Mods should move it to the correct forum.
    03-16-12 03:39 AM
    I love the Galaxy Note, it takes a lot of heat for being a massive device but really, IMO it's the first Android device I used that I didn't feel the need to customize instantly out of the box. I have no problem w/ suggesting the Note to someone looking for a great Android device provided they can get over the size.
    Chrisy and kinlo_604 like this.
    03-16-12 03:48 AM
    Truth is everyone hails the portability of the PB but then say the Note is too big?
    It is all about preferences people.
    I do not feel the pull of the iphone but have glanced at the SII a few times, I can only imagine what the SIII will be like. What has kept me back is Android itself. I'm just not a fan.
    In speed and specs all current BlackBerrys do not stand a chance.
    Unfortunately.
    03-16-12 04:18 AM
    Truth is everyone hails the portability of the PB but then say the Note is too big?
    I do not feel the pull of the iphone but have glanced at the SII a few times, I can only imagine what the SIII will be like. What has kept me back is Android itself. I'm just not a fan.
    Unfortunately.
    yes i find a lot of brand bias in many users, not slagging them, its easy to feel "loyal" to a certain brand especially w/ all the marketing nowadays, people want to feel proud with what they have. But when you find someone who'd objectively see mobile tech with an open mind, it's a breath of fresh air.

so what don't you like about android itself?
    03-16-12 04:45 AM
    There are Android forums to discuss the Note. Even on CB there is an Android sub forum.

Posting in General Discussion is only for BB related subjects.

Maybe the Mods should move it to the correct forum.
    I just checked and re-checked and this is posted in the Android sub forum of the BB forums..... It is under "Other Smartphone and Tablet Platforms". I think what you meant to say, was to post it at Android Central.... That is not a "sub-forum", it is an actual forum.... Please correct me if I am wrong here....

There was absolutely nothing wrong with him posting it here where he did and no reason to move it to Android central.....

To the OP, the Note is an amazing device, but as others have pointed out it is a bit on the large size. If you are into that type of thing it would be good for you, but for others not so much.... I have been to the local brick and mortar and tried it out, but it's way too large for me and just not practical to use as my daily device.... Just my 2cents.....
    03-16-12 02:51 PM
    I listen to weekly podcasts from Engadget, The Verge, Cnet and so on and nowhere is Blackberry EVER mentioned. Just goes to show you BB is the irrelevance king in first world markets. The Galaxy note has gotten great reviews all across the board from different reviewers and to put it up against a BB (which are basically smarter feature phones) is just laughable.

Next up the new iPad vs BB Playbook LOL
    03-16-12 06:04 PM
    I guess it depends on your needs. Netflix would be cool, but in the past year, there's been maybe 3 times that I really would have used it. But I type quite a bit every day and I also like my phone to stay charged all day so those things would trump the novelties (to me they are).

As far as comparing it to the PB, I don't know if there's a direct correlation. The PB is an optional, complementary device to my BB. I can choose to bring it if I want more than the BB, but I don't HAVE to. With a phablet, you don't have that flexibility.
    03-16-12 06:16 PM
    To the OP, thanks for posting your story, being a avid BlackBerry user for years, it's good to hear that someone else doesn't mind giving credit where credit is due. I use BlackBerry products because....well I like BlackBerry products, but I'm not blind, I am well aware that there are other phones....dare I say, that has better technology than BlackBerry does. I hope your girlfriend enjoys her "NOTE"
    BoldtotheMax likes this.
    03-16-12 06:23 PM
    I just checked and re-checked and this is posted in the Android sub forum of the BB forums..... It is under "Other Smartphone and Tablet Platforms". I think what you meant to say, was to post it at Android Central.... That is not a "sub-forum", it is an actual forum.... Please correct me if I am wrong here....

There was absolutely nothing wrong with him posting it here where he did and no reason to move it to Android central.....

To the OP, the Note is an amazing device, but as others have pointed out it is a bit on the large size. If you are into that type of thing it would be good for you, but for others not so much.... I have been to the local brick and mortar and tried it out, but it's way too large for me and just not practical to use as my daily device.... Just my 2cents.....
    It was probably moved here from the general discussion forum.
    03-16-12 10:39 PM
    4.3" is my sweet spot, hence the Amaze I use on the daily, but the Note is a slick device and is hit or miss with people in it being to big to be a phone.

Brings me back to the good ole 80's and people putting their boom boxes next to their ear and blasting it! I was never one of those people, but those peeps always looked real happy and didn't seem to give one ioda what others thought of him/her.

Now break dancing...that I did!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk
    03-19-12 08:20 PM
    The note is a cool gadget but nothing is perfect. Thank goodness for choice. Smartphones do seem much more gadgety nowadays I find. Sometimes people want them for reasons they don't really understand, but I could definitely tell you that phone calls, texts, and any other core functionality is not on their minds..
    03-19-12 11:27 PM
    I played with the Note a few times and even next to my Galaxy Nexus it was enormous. I also felt (and looked) like a fool when I held it up to my ear, but if I liked the device I wouldn't care. You can just use a bluetooth headset as well.

The device was very fast, smooth and the screen was about as nice as the Galaxy Nexus (Same screen just bigger so it makes a little difference). I would definitely recommend it to someone looking for a smartphone and a tablet but can't afford both.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-20-12 10:06 AM
    OP, I hear ya. I felt my Android Thunderbolt was way more advanced than my BlackBerry devices. I loved the big screen, widgets, awesome apps, camera was amazing, Skype was OK to have.

But the little things made me come back to BlackBerry. I prefer BBOS. I like how it looks, functions and is organized. The battery life, for me, is far better on a BlackBerry. The Android keyboard was nice but I really dislike predictive text. I much prefer BlackBerry spell check and auto correct. Word subs are handy too.

The BlackBerry offered me better notifications too including color LED and more customizable sounds. Profiles weren't so good on the Android and I love BlackBerry profile system.

In the end, the Android was way too big to comfortably be my every day phone. I like the smaller size of a BlackBerry device. A tab is good for all the things I did on my Android that my BlackBerry can't do.

I agree with the speed of downloading apps. Google's app store is awesome. Selection, fast and mostly cheap. BlackBerry needs to work on that for sure!

I just would rather not use my phone for everything multimedia. That drains the device so fast! Yes, Androids do way more but you pay the price in battery and huge phones. So for me I use my bb for communication and my phone for media and fun.

I can see being jealous at first. But I bet if you made the switch, you would then realize all the things you love about BlackBerry!
    03-20-12 10:23 AM
    Unfortunately.
    The thing is the PlayBook is a great size FOR A TAB. I wouldn't,and couldn't, take it everywhere I take my phone. Just too big to use like that. It is great if I know I'll be using it and I throw it in my backpack. Nice to use in school, on train rides etc.

But my phone goes EVERYWHERE with me. Hiking, kayaking, Geocaching, to the beach. Its purpose is for emergencies and quick communications. Whereas a tab is better suited for movies, games, presentations, browsing.

That's why I love the size of the PlayBook but think the note is way too big fora phone. For me anyway.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-20-12 10:29 AM
    I love the Galaxy Note, it takes a lot of heat for being a massive device but really, IMO it's the first Android device I used that I didn't feel the need to customize instantly out of the box. I have no problem w/ suggesting the Note to someone looking for a great Android device provided they can get over the size.
    Can we get a picture of you talking on it?

I still feel too big for a phone and too small for a tablet but it does look nice.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-20-12 10:58 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD