I have a GS3 and the 9900. Also...I've got a toddler.

The 9900's camera just isn't up for toddler duty. My GS3 has become my main shooter because of quality and convenience. I have a bag full of Nikon and Leica glass for moments I know I'm going to shoot, otherwise my GS3 is the camera on hand.

The Nexus 4 camera isn't supposed to match the current top-of-the-line Android phones. Early reviews seem to be saying the GS3 and HTC One X are both better in camera quality. Just something to keep in mind if "camera" is a main deciding factor.

Obviously it's your call, but when it comes to grabbing photos of your kids...it sure is hard to settle for 9900 quality.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-11-12 08:27 PM
    Thanks for all the comments folks. I will try out sports mode and also try out uplaoding video files instead of emailing them.

Another bonus would be to have skype which again the BB fails at...for now

11-11-12 09:25 PM
    If you do decide to get a Nexus 4 my fellow T-Mobile customer, don't get it from T-Mobile. Their pricing is just laughable.
    11-11-12 09:38 PM
    I am hoping to get it directly from Google. Again that is another draw for that phone. A new GS2 is still $400+ on Ebay. I can't believe the 9900 is price $600 on Tmos site. That is just ridiculous. They really want to push android.

11-11-12 09:44 PM
    The camera has too much lag and I always miss the "cute" moments. I thought about uploading to youtube but wasn't sure about privacy issues etc. I still don't like the idea of being restricted to that though.

My wife has a Windows 7.5 phone which is really great except for Zune. Terrible software and it is impossible to mount her phone on a PC without having to use Zune. But she is able to email vids no problem. It definitely handles media better than my 9900.

For some reason though vanilla Android has me intrigued so if anyone here has first hand experience on these issues please chime in.

Thanks.

What it sounds that you need is either A: Lumia 920, which has awesome low light camera, B: an iPhone 5, which also takes really good low light level pictures, or C: HTC One X or S. the camera is the same in both of them and is also really good!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-11-12 10:08 PM
    Somehow, I thought this list would have been much longer. I can live with that limitation for now, hopefully by BB10, there is no file transfer limit on bbm or appropriately sized like 100MB(especially since there is LTE).
    11-12-12 10:30 AM
    Sounds like iphone 5 would fit... the camera is excellent compared to 9900 and it takes pictures really fast. Also there is skype.
    11-12-12 02:50 PM
    You know the camera isn't the only problem if you read my original post. The iphone5 isn't such a viable option due to cost if I buy unlocked and I don't plan to switch carriers to get the subsidy. Hence that is why the N4 is appealing and if I hate it I'm sure it won't be a problem to resell.

As for waiting for BB10, I was early to adopt the PB and felt like I got burned. How long did it take before we got 2.0? I don't see how BB10 will be released without major issues too. Every company that has tried to push out a new OS has had issues, including Apple. Now this morning they announced the announcement to be at the end of January...that's almost 3 full months away and still don't know if there will be more lag in the actual release. So in the mean time I don't feel like I can wait for BB10 as much as I want to.

I tried out Sugarsync and it seems to work quite well so for now I have a quick fix for emailing large files.

11-12-12 03:46 PM
    I think if you are trying to take a picture of a toddler using any camera phone you are using the wrong device.

I wouldn't think of using a camera phone to take pictures for keeping, use a digital camera

--------------------------------------------

BB Bold 9900 & 64GB PB
    11-13-12 03:50 AM
    Update: I picked up a Nexus 4 and love it. BB10 will have to shock and awe if I'm ever moving back. Its nice to finally have Skype and Netflix and make more use of the data plan that I am already paying for. Now the 9900 keyboard just seems cramped compared to typing on glass with the phone held sideways. The integration and multitasking is simply amazing. No more hourglass or lag...the Nexus 4 simply flies and I get more battery life on it than on my 9900. Google Now is simply amazing..beats Siri hands down apparently.

Plus at $350 there's no beating it as RIM products are always priced at a premium. That will have to change at least here in NA.

I thought I would miss my BB but I feel that I am way more productive on my Nexus 4 than I ever was on my BB. Also the learning curve was pretty intuitive and online forums are also helpful.

I still have my Playbook and use it for work email at home but I am already feeling its outdated-ness and the lack on any major apps. That was a weird thing for me, on my BB I had my work email pushed without any security issues. On the Nexus, I'm required to have a PIN to unlock the phone. Finally just decided not to have work email on it altogether.

Best of all the Nexus4 also has a colored led that you can customize! Best of both worlds imho. Now I feel I'm not so much of an addict and can spend more time with my family. Also its much easier to take photos and share them on the fly. I'm using Amazon Cloud and uploading is seamless.

I am not sure about other Android experiences but all I can say is that vanilla android is phenomenal. And having a larger screen is amazing.

12-31-12 05:43 PM
    Lol
    12-31-12 06:18 PM

...Best of all the Nexus4 also has a colored led that you can customize! Best of both worlds imho...

Recent builds of BBOS 7.1 have it too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    12-31-12 06:36 PM
    Lol
    I thought that was the best part!

Also, about the price of the Nexus 4 - the reason it's so cheap is because Google can afford to subsidize it. RIM cannot afford to do so.
    12-31-12 06:41 PM
    Yea I have my bold on wifi and occasionally I go back to check whatsapp and tapatalk. Again it allows me to compare both phones. I do feel the keyboard is cramped and the differences in OS are striking.

12-31-12 07:30 PM
    I love my 9900 but lately things that weren't so much an issue and becoming more so. First off the camera is becoming more annoying as I try and take shots of my toddler. Secondly if I make a video, it is always beyond the limit size and I'm forced to use a PC to handle the file if not it is pretty much stuck on my phone. No way to share on the go. I haven't gotten any good suggestions otherwise besides using a PC. And yes I do have a digital camera but have my 9900 with me at all times so its handy and convenient to use it for pics and blog directly onto Wordpress.

I am pretty much opposed to the iPhone so was thinking of picking up the Nexus4. Anyone here know if handling video and pics aren't restricted by file sizes on Android?

Anyway I have high hopes for BB10 but in the mean time I might try something different to see if it fits my needs.

Thanks

Curious why you'd choose a nexus 4 over the iPhone5, I think the iPhone5 is the better of the two. Love or hate the Apple walled garden, apps are designed better, it has LTE, and reliability plus customer support is better. It also runs near flawlessly without having to brute force it's way to speed using quad cores. It also has a much better reliability track record than Google / LG.
    12-31-12 08:09 PM
    Curious why you'd choose a nexus 4 over the iPhone5, I think the iPhone5 is the better of the two. Love or hate the Apple walled garden, apps are designed better, it has LTE, and reliability plus customer support is better. It also runs near flawlessly without having to brute force it's way to speed using quad cores. It also has a much better reliability track record than Google / LG.
    He explained why. It's more than twice the price.
    12-31-12 08:26 PM
    Brute force it's way to speed? Lol. Other than LTE, there is no way the i5 is better than the N4 imo. Twice the cost for a tiny screen and forced to deal with Apples restrictions? No thanks..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    12-31-12 08:37 PM
    Twice the price as an argument I will buy. Rickrollers points I don't and I'm currently on Android. Screen size is totally user preference. I personally prefer the lower end of the 4" screen sizes as do many others. Restrictions? Elaborate. If you're going to come back at me talking about custom ROMs etc that's an argument for a tiny fraction of the smartphone industry. And downplaying LTE? No.
    For $350 the Nexus 4 is superb, but if money is no object the iPhone5 is much better.

Please. If Samsung or any other Android manufacturer charged $200 like the iPhone5 for a note2 or an sg3 instead of $50-100 on contract they'd get trounced. That says it all.
    12-31-12 08:50 PM
    Twice the price as an argument I will buy. Rickrollers points I don't and I'm currently on Android. Screen size is totally user preference. I personally prefer the lower end of the 4" screen sizes as do many others. Restrictions? Elaborate. If you're going to come back at me talking about custom ROMs etc that's an argument for a tiny fraction of the smartphone industry. And downplaying LTE? No.
    For $350 the Nexus 4 is superb, but if money is no object the iPhone5 is much better.

Please. If Samsung or any other Android manufacturer charged $200 like the iPhone5 for a note2 or an sg3 instead of $50-100 on contract they'd get trounced. That says it all.
    Some people just hate apple whether it be based on logic or not, and that's fine. I too have never once felt limited with the iPhone and have tried many android handsets and have found that I don't like android as it currently runs. But as long as he's happy with his purchase that's all that matters, it's not my money it's his.
    12-31-12 09:28 PM
    If you read my original post I think I elaborate on why I chose the N4 over the iphone.

I really don't get the LTE argument. First off I'm on Tmobile and with the N4 I'm getting speeds of 15-28Mbps. On average often faster than my Comcast internet service. I don't need LTE...and I don't think its faster in my region of service. The phone switches from 3G to H+ when data is used and is a great way to conserve batt life.

This is my third post on the 9900 since switching and yes I can say the screen is too small and my fingers feel cramped when typing.

Happy new year all!

12-31-12 09:29 PM
    The iPhone 5 is restricted in regards to customization. No matter what, unless one jail breaks their device, all you get is a row of icons and a background pic.

All the advantages iOS used to claim a year or so ago are now gone. Android 4.0+, especially Jellybean, is now just as fluid as iOS. And the app arugment is now mute, both platforms have tons of apps.

Its all preference, really. Nothing wrong with preferring one over the other. But as an BlackBerry diehard turned Android guy, I can fully understand the OP�s decision. The Nexus 4 is an AWESOME device hands down. I thought heavily about getting it myself, but can't do the whole no sdcard thing.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
    12-31-12 10:28 PM
    The iPhone 5 is restricted in regards to customization. No matter what, unless one jail breaks their device, all you get is a row of icons and a background pic.

All the advantages iOS used to claim a year or so ago are now gone. Android 4.0+, especially Jellybean, is now just as fluid as iOS. And the app arugment is now mute, both platforms have tons of apps.
    Customization is mostly just eye candy and gives little to no gain in terms of performance or productivity. One could argue that the time some people spend tinkering with how their phone screens are set up is a loss of productive time. But I'll grant that from an entertainment perspective it can be an amusing distraction. I used to do it until the novelty wore off. Now I don't even use widgets anymore.

Your point about jelly bean speed and fluidity should be expanded to say "depending on the make and model". Even some of the newest releases are reviewed as having some stuttering issues reported on 4.1+
    I blame a lot of that on the OEM skins though, since the N4 appears so far to not suffer from that.
    Overall I'd still stand by the iPhone5 being the better of the two. Had Google put an iPhone price tag on the Nexus4, it would've been dead on arrival and I see that as proof enough. Keep in mind this doesn't mean I think the Nexus4 isn't a really good phone.
    01-01-13 07:53 AM
    Added bonus: I like the fact that I can plug my phone in on any computer and it just mounts as a drive and I can just drag and drop files. No need to use software etc... Similar to what I did with my 9900.
    01-01-13 12:05 PM
    Customization is mostly just eye candy and gives little to no gain in terms of performance or productivity. One could argue that the time some people spend tinkering with how their phone screens are set up is a loss of productive time. But I'll grant that from an entertainment perspective it can be an amusing distraction. I used to do it until the novelty wore off. Now I don't even use widgets anymore.

Your point about jelly bean speed and fluidity should be expanded to say "depending on the make and model". Even some of the newest releases are reviewed as having some stuttering issues reported on 4.1+
    I blame a lot of that on the OEM skins though, since the N4 appears so far to not suffer from that.
    Overall I'd still stand by the iPhone5 being the better of the two. Had Google put an iPhone price tag on the Nexus4, it would've been dead on arrival and I see that as proof enough. Keep in mind this doesn't mean I think the Nexus4 isn't a really good phone.
    Customization is mostly eye candy? Hardly. Using custom launchers allows you to have complete control over what you want at your fingertips. Swipe gestures allow quick access to whatever you want, without having to scroll endlessly looking thru apps. For someone who has used android, your lack of knowledge seems astounding.

I do think however that the i5 is a nice piece of hardware. However, the Apple ecosystem is severely locked down (only mp4's can be played? Lol) and these restrictions (while fine for some people) couple with twice the cost of an N4,make the OP's choice a no brainer imo.

01-01-13 02:28 PM
    Customization is mostly eye candy? Hardly. Using custom launchers allows you to have complete control over what you want at your fingertips. Swipe gestures allow quick access to whatever you want, without having to scroll endlessly looking thru apps. For someone who has used android, your lack of knowledge seems astounding.

I do think however that the i5 is a nice piece of hardware. However, the Apple ecosystem is severely locked down (only mp4's can be played? Lol) and these restrictions (while fine for some people) couple with twice the cost of an N4,make the OP's choice a no brainer imo.

Huh? Everyone knows you can install video player apps that play most formats. I don't use the native android video player either.

I've used the swipes on custom launchers they're not all that and a bag of chips. A few gestures you can only use on home screens but can't use when an app is open on screen isn't a big deal. As for scrolling, just group your apps in a few folders, problem solved. Good call on the "astounding lack of knowledge". Those are angry words. People usually get snarky like that when reasonable and rational debating skills fail them. Don't be mad, it's just a phone!

I understand the cost argument being important to people on a budget. I'm not one of them though, so yes, I will pay premium costs for a better product.
    01-01-13 03:45 PM
62 123