Since VZW doesn't seem to be selling much other than Android devices these days, I'm thinking of switching from my BB Curve 3G to the Vortex. I'm also thinking of getting one for my wife, as VZW also doesn't seem to give a rat's rear end about messaging phones either.

My phone is used primarily for calling, texting, email/PIM, weather, and news feeds. I do a little web browsing, but that and media aren't my main focus (I'd rather just get a wifi tablet for that). My wife is the same, she just makes calls and sends texts. I'm saying this because neither of us want/need a "superphone."

The Vortex seems like it does what we need, with good battery life. It has Froyo and supposedly is getting Gingerbread in the near future. There are even some decent ROMs which clear out the VZW bloatware and help it run a bit leaner.

My only question is given that VZW only offers two-year contracts, is the Vortex a phone worth being stuck with for the next two years? We don't buy phones off contract because for our budget, its easier to pay less for the phone and be in the contract with monthly payments.
    04-15-11 05:26 PM
    If you're keeping the phone for two years then I would suggest you get the motorola droid x. Even though it's old the hardware is better than the vortex and it has really good battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-11 11:33 PM
    Might be worth waiting for the bold touch
    04-16-11 01:41 AM
    Only if you are going to use it on the Virgin Mobile plan. Otherwise I find it a bit underpowered for what you would like to have when on a regular subscription plan. Plus you wouls loose the keyboard. If that isn't a concern, go for a more powerful candybar Android.
    04-16-11 02:28 AM
    Coming from a Curve, the Vortex will be a real treat. It has really good battery life for an Android devices. It's an economy device but all of the devices in the Optimus family are hardy, reliable devices. Your best bet is to either get it free on upgrade or buy gently used on Craigslist or E-Bay.
    04-16-11 07:05 PM
    The Vortex is not a device worth being stuck with for the next two years. The only way I would buy it if I had to was off contract/ full retail.
    04-16-11 07:52 PM
    Do not waste an upgrade on that phone for the next 2 years. Im not telling you to get a higher end phone but I just think you'll be disappointed with it. You should check out a few other phones like the Fascinate, Droid X, Droid Pro, etc. They will definitely give you a better Android experience IMO. The choice is up to you so good luck.
    04-16-11 11:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD