So I got the kindle fire (typing on it right now). It's pretty good but the Amazon skin is kind of awkward. I really want to put stock Aneroid on it if I do plan on keeping it. It is very responsive but IMO the skin really hurts the device. Amazon already said they know it will be rooted and have no plans on trying to stop it, so that is a plus.

The device doesn't come with a usb adaptor, just a wall charger. The manual is built into the device.

Overall it feels really nice but just a little lacking in the software department. I am undecided on wether I should keep it or not. I guess I will decide within the next few days.

Anyone else get it?
    mustangv8 and Chrisy like this.
    11-15-11 08:41 PM
    But, for the price it's got to be a winner!
    11-15-11 08:48 PM
    I'll be watching XDA closely for the next few days. Interested in hearing more thoughts, A.
    11-15-11 08:50 PM
    So I got the kindle fire (typing on it right now). It's pretty good but the Amazon skin is kind of awkward. I really want to put stock Aneroid on it if I do plan on keeping it. It is very responsive but IMO the skin really hurts the device. Amazon already said they know it will be rooted and have no plans on trying to stop it, so that is a plus.

The device doesn't come with a usb adaptor, just a wall charger. The manual is built into the device.

Overall it feels really nice but just a little lacking in the software department. I am undecided on wether I should keep it or not. I guess I will decide within the next few days.

Anyone else get it?
    I'm going to take a look into getting one, just to use here and there and keep in the car. Only interested in it because of the price(funny how RIM could not understand this issue with the playbook release)

Keep trying it, and if it's not for you, they are selling near full price used on ebay, give craigslist a try.
    11-15-11 09:28 PM
    Yea I am definitely going to keep it for the trial period. If I hear nothing about the hacking community making any progress at that time, then I will return/ sell it.

I only bought it for the price which is awesome. And for the price, it is very nice. I would have considered the playbook, but I am not going to spend that much on a tablet. Touchpads are going for $230+ as well so that's another option.
    11-15-11 09:39 PM
    Yea I am definitely going to keep it for the trial period. If I hear nothing about the hacking community making any progress at that time, then I will return/ sell it.

I only bought it for the price which is awesome. And for the price, it is very nice. I would have considered the playbook, but I am not going to spend that much on a tablet. Touchpads are going for $230+ as well so that's another option.
    I'm sure the folks over at XDA are going to turn the KF into a usable Android tablet in due time.

BTW I have a fire sale Touchpad running CM7 and all I can say is WOW! If you can get your hands on one I highly recommend it.
    11-15-11 10:23 PM
    If it was the price that would keep you from the Playbook, they're going on sale at several locations starting on Friday. Search around the forums for locations.
    11-15-11 10:53 PM
    I will say that the Prime movies stream real nice. Real real nice.
    11-15-11 11:10 PM
    Got one coming friday, but it's for my Dad, for Christmas! For me, I just bought an Acer Iconia 500 for 259 on deal I found a slickdeals. I caught it early, as it sold out in like hours.
    11-16-11 07:53 AM
    Apparently, it is already rootable via SuperOneClick.
    11-16-11 07:56 AM
    Apparently, it is already rootable via SuperOneClick.
    Awesome. I'm not going to root it yet until a ROM is out. Hopefully ICS is on this baby soon.
    11-16-11 09:29 AM
    Althought its going to be tough to use a ROM because of lack of onboard memory.
    11-16-11 09:36 AM
    I've been contemplating getting one, because I like the fact they have magazines available on them. Have you looked into those at all? I'm curious as to how they work, and whether it would be worth if for that or not..

EDIT: I see source code was just released for the KF. I'm sure there will be some people cooking up a storm now!
    Last edited by Rickroller; 11-16-11 at 11:08 AM.
    11-16-11 11:02 AM
    I've been contemplating getting one, because I like the fact they have magazines available on them. Have you looked into those at all? I'm curious as to how they work, and whether it would be worth if for that or not..
    This is the one thing I have not yet fooled with, as I suspected it would be a dud on the smaller display.
    11-16-11 11:09 AM
    I'm sure the folks over at XDA are going to turn the KF into a usable Android tablet in due time.

BTW I have a fire sale Touchpad running CM7 and all I can say is WOW! If you can get your hands on one I highly recommend it.
    Its a usable Android tablet right now.
    11-16-11 11:15 AM
    Its a usable Android tablet right now.
    Yes it definitely is a useable limited Android tablet right now. I say limited because it lacks stock customization and widgets.

It's not that the hardware isn't capable, it's the software.
    11-16-11 11:48 AM
    Is it really a usable tablet or a tablet wanna be but doesn't quite make it?

I can't believe people taking this limited thing up that will never have somethings due to the parts are not in it and at the same time putting the playbook down for having the parts that software will get working.

However I'm sure it is perfect for some people.
    11-16-11 11:58 AM
    The Nook Tablet has better specs: Twice the onboard memory, micro sd card slot for $50 more. It would be good if you could root the Nook Tablet and get the Amazon stuff running on it.
    11-16-11 12:07 PM
    Amazon ROM, for a rooted Nook eh?
    11-16-11 12:08 PM
    Amazon ROM, for a rooted Nook eh?
    For Amazon Prime members, a win-win scenario.
    11-16-11 12:13 PM
    The Nook Tablet has better specs: Twice the onboard memory, micro sd card slot for $50 more. It would be good if you could root the Nook Tablet and get the Amazon stuff running on it.
    I agree and the uncertainty about rootability is what sealed my Fire purchase. This will hold me over until iPad 3 when I will sell it, and I expect to get a decent amount for it!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    11-16-11 12:14 PM

I can't believe people taking this limited thing up that will never have somethings due to the parts are not in it and at the same time putting the playbook down for having the parts that software will get working.

No, it is a useable tablet.

People put the PlayBook down because it lacks basic features for the price it costs. The kindle fire has these features and it is only $200. There is a big difference.

For $200, the lack of bluetooth and a camera really isn't an issue at all.

Also the fact that this can be rooted and have custom software loaded to it makes it even more useable for $200. It the PB was cheaper when it first released, I doubt as many people would have complained about the lack of apps and native features. There is an expectation with these devices when you pay a certain price.

That being said, I still think the PB is a nice little tablet.
    howarmat likes this.
    11-16-11 12:18 PM

Its a usable gingerbread tablet. For 199, I'm not going to riot in the street over no widgets and only 8gb storage. It costs the same as the 8gb iPod touch, keep in mind.

11-16-11 12:19 PM

EDIT: I see source code was just released for the KF. I'm sure there will be some people cooking up a storm now!
    Yeah ok I downloaded PC Magazine for 1.49 and its not that great. In portrait mode the magazine wont even fill the screen, but you can toggle it to text mode and read it just like a Kindle book. Maybe different magazines are optimized better for the Fire.

Rickroller likes this.
    11-16-11 08:02 PM
    Yeah ok I downloaded PC Magazine for 1.49 and its not that great. In portrait mode the magazine wont even fill the screen, but you can toggle it to text mode and read it just like a Kindle book. Maybe different magazines are optimized better for the Fire.

Thanks for the info on magazine reading. If I get one, that would be my main use for it. I hate spending 5 or 6 bucks on magazines now, and they end up piling up around the house.

When you say it won't fill the screen, does it clip the page, or do you just have to scroll around?
    11-17-11 10:08 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD