I thought I would like the Motorola droid and purchased it without even looking at it or holding it. I have it had it for about two weeks and still am not sure if I like it. I have not had time to go to the forums to see what it can do.

What can this phone do that the storm 2 cannot. I am not very happy with the video or camera on this phone. I am not sure if it is just my phone or just Droid phones but some of the pictures look faded and the video looks like old school film video.

I also hate the fact that the emails delete once you download them to your outlook on your computer. I know you can check off keep the email on the server but then that gets clogged up.

Can the pro droid people tell me why I should keep this phone and not go back to a Storm?
    12-02-09 08:16 AM
    I have not had time to go to the forums to see what it can do.
    This I think is the crux of the problem you are having. It is brand new, it works different, has different features, etc. You have to learn them before you can really judge the phone. You learn VIA forums, just like you used crackberry to learn your BB, find a Android forum to learn about your android.

I had a storm 1, a good one, had like 0 actual problems with it, I have the Eris now and would never go back.
    12-02-09 08:24 AM
    People can tell you all the + and - to both phones. But what it really comes down to is how you like the device and what it does for you. Are you able to manage your life and info, email, etc with one model and not another?

Which one operates better for you...?

You WILL always get mixed opinions since allot of people use a device different from others. Some hand bigger hands, eyes for viewing the screens. Some even want the latest and greatest so to speak...

But it's your phone and you will use it everyday.

You need to weigh all options on what works best for you.
    12-02-09 08:26 AM
    You need to weigh all options on what works best for you.
    +1 and coming from the BB Storm (1 & 2) world I see your dilemma first hand. It's what you are comfortable with that really matters and I think there is a pretty big learning curve with the Droid. Heck I've only had mine a few days so I'm still pretty much in that learning curve.
    12-02-09 08:40 AM
    well I am a storm user from first day it came out and boy have I had it tough with over 15 storm replacements. What a change with to new 5 Os . The day storm 2 came out I got it and was not that impressed with the exception of more memory. Seemed that I had just about the same phone bad feeling. Its like buying the same car again. I got excited about the droid the day it was anounced. Well I was in line at 3am and I returened the storm 2 and got the droid with all accessories. Wow it was a nice gaget with a lot of applications. It was super fast and super internet. Then the real droid was coming out. And now here are my main issues with the Motorola droid.
    1 Bad email phone it is not reliable in pulling emails on hotmail. Sometimes it does sometimes it does not. A day goes by and you think where are my emails and you click refresh and wow you realize that they were not pulled every 5 minutes like I had it in settings
    2 Bad for multiple email accounts when you want to write an email you don't get a choice n which email accout you want to send your emails from. It uses your email default setting. So if you want to forward an email and want to change your sending email address it will not let you.
    3 if you are reading an email and want to copy a part of an email and paste it in a new email it does not support copy and paste.
    4 no dedicated buttons for phone. It is like you are using a computer to be used as a phone. You have to go into an application to hang up your phone. That is if you are on a call and are in another aplication.
    5 to make a simple call you have to take several steps . You can create an icon to dial a specifc number, but you always have to take steps to get there.
    6 media player is very bad it does not give you options to send audio to Bluetooth headset or speaker.
    7 resets on its own. Freezes and screen becomes non responsive. Keboard will double type sometimes it like touch is too sensative.
    8 no BlackBerry messenger. I know there is gtalk but it does not compare.
    9 notificatins are horrible they need to separate them like blackberry separates SMS emails mms
    10 slide out keyboard is horrible And is very hard to slide out
    My conclusi�n is that i am returning my droid and I am Back to my original storm. So now back to the memory struggle but at least that is all I will struggle with.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 12:33 PM
    well I am a storm user from first day it came out and boy have I had it tough with over 15 storm replacements. What a change with to new 5 Os . The day storm 2 came out I got it and was not that impressed with the exception of more memory. Seemed that I had just about the same phone bad feeling. Its like buying the same car again. I got excited about the droid the day it was anounced. Well I was in line at 3am and I returened the storm 2 and got the droid with all accessories. Wow it was a nice gaget with a lot of applications. It was super fast and super internet. Then the real droid was coming out. And now here are my main issues with the Motorola droid.
    1 Bad email phone it is not reliable in pulling emails on hotmail. Sometimes it does sometimes it does not. A day goes by and you think where are my emails and you click refresh and wow you realize that they were not pulled every 5 minutes like I had it in settings
    2 Bad for multiple email accounts when you want to write an email you don't get a choice n which email accout you want to send your emails from. It uses your email default setting. So if you want to forward an email and want to change your sending email address it will not let you.
    3 if you are reading an email and want to copy a part of an email and paste it in a new email it does not support copy and paste.
    4 no dedicated buttons for phone. It is like you are using a computer to be used as a phone. You have to go into an application to hang up your phone. That is if you are on a call and are in another aplication.
    5 to make a simple call you have to take several steps . You can create an icon to dial a specifc number, but you always have to take steps to get there.
    6 media player is very bad it does not give you options to send audio to Bluetooth headset or speaker.
    7 resets on its own. Freezes and screen becomes non responsive. Keboard will double type sometimes it like touch is too sensative.
    9 notificatins are horrible they need to separate them like blackberry separates SMS emails mms
    My conclusi�n is that i am returning my droid and I am Back to my original storm. So now back to the memory struggle but at least that is all I will struggle with.

I was also a storm user and none of the above problems for this guy are anywhere near a problem for me. It all depends on what you want out of the phone, really.

Personally web browsing alone would never send me back to my storm. sheesh.

I have no issues with managing multiple emails and i love the physical keyboard, i can type insanely fast on it! The copy and paste could be re done, i admit, but this is a brand new device so quirks will obviously be there. The storms copy and paste is still awful. The reset issue is either user error, badly written apps, or a defective unit so i would take that complaint with a grain of salt.

Lastly, the notifications on the droid are AWESOME. i love the notification bar and the apps that are available for messaging can be customized a million ways to the users advantage. I actually catch myself just opening and closing the notification panel just for kicks, haha. With the storm i would delete messages and many times have the message indicator still show that i had an unread message.

Wait for the update to come around if you can. See how google makes changes to the software and let that be a factor in your decision.
    12-02-09 01:39 PM
    I too am having email issues. I have not had any emails downloaded today but if I go on an email access website, I see there are multiple emails there. but even if I hit refresh, they still do not come down. I know my outlook is not open because they would not be on the other site.
    12-02-09 02:02 PM
    I heard there is an update due on the 11th. I will see what that does and may stick with the phone for a while.
    12-03-09 08:51 AM
    I am in the same boat. I loved my Curve, but I am a phone junkie and thought I had to have the latest and greatest thing out there. I can not get used to the Droid at all. The touch screen drives me nuts and e-mail is horrible. I am definitely going back to a Blackberry. I am going with the Tour this time
    12-03-09 09:11 AM
    I'm a former Storm, Curve, Tour owner, and while they are good phones in their own rights, you couldn't pay me to go back to a BB after having my Droid. Not until they revamp their GUI, anyway.
    12-03-09 09:29 AM
    Maybe a little help. I now have my main email forwarded to my gmail account. You can then cut off your searching for email every 5 minutes which kills the heck out of your battery. Now when my mail comes to my main email account it forwards to gmail and its is as fast as my Tour. Hope this helps.
    12-03-09 10:37 AM
    I thought I would like the Motorola droid and purchased it without even looking at it or holding it. I have it had it for about two weeks and still am not sure if I like it. I have not had time to go to the forums to see what it can do.

What can this phone do that the storm 2 cannot. I am not very happy with the video or camera on this phone. I am not sure if it is just my phone or just Droid phones but some of the pictures look faded and the video looks like old school film video.

I also hate the fact that the emails delete once you download them to your outlook on your computer. I know you can check off keep the email on the server but then that gets clogged up.

Can the pro droid people tell me why I should keep this phone and not go back to a Storm?
    Your best decision would include visiting each manufacturers website and writing down a pros and cons list. Then go do what you normally would on the phone in the store....make sure they reset the phones as allot of people go crazy on em' and it could disadvantage the storm. After that, you should be able to make a good choice...IMO's are always an interesting read, though allot of facts get washed...
    12-03-09 11:48 AM

I don['t have any of these problems either.

1. Pulling hotmail, though not like the BB where you can delete off the acct, it always pulls the messages.

2. If you need to email from multiple accts, this could be a problem. Once again, if you are a business person, the Droid may not be the choice for you.

3. it DOES in fact copy and paste.

4. could be an issue I guess. my phone hangs up when the other person does, not sure why one would be in another app while on a call. but if you are on a call and pull the phone away from the head, the screen come sback on and there is an end button there.

5. Not an issue for me persoanlly. hit contacts button, scroll to contact, hit "call...this person"

6. never used the media player, but sure there are better ones to download from the market.

7. never have had a freeze, some apps have force closed though.

8. once a lot of people venture away from BB (if things don't improve on their phones compared to others), who is going to be using BBM anyhow?

9. not sure what this means, if LED, then ok, but notifications are on the top drop down and say whether it is text or email or missed call or voice mail.

10. I am up in the air about the slideout, I don't use it as much as I did initially, but it is there and is not a waste IMO.
    12-03-09 12:24 PM
    well i kept the phone for another month and am still not happy with it. The apps are good but nothing spectactular.
    I think I am going back to a BB, Now just have to find a Storm 2. My wife has the curve and I cannot deal with the ball anymore since having the storm.

Off to Search for a Storm 2. Wish me luck.
    01-19-10 10:28 AM
    Off to Search for a Storm 2. Wish me luck.
    good luck! the storm2 is a nice blackberry.
    01-19-10 10:32 AM
    I like the original storm but wanted something different when my contract renewed with verizon so I tried the droid.

When I find the storm 2, someone will be able to get a good deal on the droid with all the acessories i bought.
    01-19-10 10:37 AM
    I like the original storm but wanted something different when my contract renewed with verizon so I tried the droid.

When I find the storm 2, someone will be able to get a good deal on the droid with all the acessories i bought.
    I tried to understand your logic but I just can't. Basically it comes down to this. You love Blackberrys and will probably never leave it. It sounds like you had your mind made up already.

Regarding the droid, the speed of the browser, the call quality with and without bluetooth is great! Speakerphone is good. You need to ask yourself this question. You pay 30 bucks a month using a BB, are you getting the most bang for your buck?

For me, I was never comfortable spending 30 bucks just for e-mail. I use just about every feature on the Droid. The blackberry was decent but it's no droid. I do miss being in the BB threads talking about battery pulls and such.
    01-19-10 11:21 AM
    You pay 30 bucks a month using a BB, are you getting the most bang for your buck?

For me, I was never comfortable spending 30 bucks just for e-mail. I use just about every feature on the Droid. The blackberry was decent but it's no droid. I do miss being in the BB threads talking about battery pulls and such.
    Exactly. After using the iPhone as my primary device, I bought the 9000. I loved it due to the keyboard. Then I bought the 3GS a year later on release and really started to heavily use data. The Bold was unable to keep me satisfied. Then I tried the 9700 but returned it due to terrible build quality. Now I have the Droid and couldn't be happier.

Email on the BB is great. So is BBM if you have a sufficient amount of BBM contacts. Everything else BIS has to off is just garbage. Same with the BB experience IMO. Apps are not a nice as Android and the iPhone, the OS is ancient, web browsing is a dreadful experience and memory leaks are a pain in the ***.

All of my accounts are Google also, so this helped me make the switch easily.
    01-19-10 11:27 AM
    My primary use for the phone is email and it is horrible. At times I can go about 6 hours before it goes and updated emails. I never had issues like this with my storm. I have the setting rights and even go to refresh my email and it does not pick up.

I was hoping the droid to be comparable to the iphone with the verizon service but I am not satisfied with it. I would have switched at my renewal if at&t service was not so bad in my area.

everyone has their opinions which is what makes these forums go. I did not have many issues with my storm except the first one i bought. But after it was replaced, I never had any other issues.
    01-19-10 12:18 PM
    The users who stated that mobile devices (calling them "phones" just seems so base) are matter of personal preference are wise indeed.

I fought with the radio, the battery, the camera, the browser, and the memory on my Storm1. After lengthy GTalk convos with CB's own patches152, I made a list of what I wanted most out of my device. Lots and lots of browsing, stable memory, heavy email use, heavy SMS use, heavy calendar/appointment use, and heavy media use topped my list. Native Android OS took care of most of that, and a few free apps took care of the rest.

Not to mention the gravy - better apps and app development, games, screen res, screen size, "wow" factor...all superior to any BB device.

Additionally, Android's commitment to make and update a solid OS puts them leaps and bounds beyond RIM.

But that's me. Just like RIM won't see another dime from me, Motorola or HTC or Linux/Android may not see another dime from someone else. That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla ice cream.

01-19-10 12:29 PM
    The users who stated that mobile devices (calling them "phones" just seems so base) are matter of personal preference are wise indeed.

I fought with the radio, the battery, the camera, the browser, and the memory on my Storm1. After lengthy GTalk convos with CB's own patches152, I made a list of what I wanted most out of my device. Lots and lots of browsing, stable memory, heavy email use, heavy SMS use, heavy calendar/appointment use, and heavy media use topped my list. Native Android OS took care of most of that, and a few free apps took care of the rest.

Not to mention the gravy - better apps and app development, games, screen res, screen size, "wow" factor...all superior to any BB device.

Additionally, Android's commitment to make and update a solid OS puts them leaps and bounds beyond RIM.

But that's me. Just like RIM won't see another dime from me, Motorola or HTC or Linux/Android may not see another dime from someone else. That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla ice cream.

Everyone will have an opinion on which they think is better. It happens with everything, that is why there are thousands and thousands of forums.
    01-19-10 01:29 PM
    My primary use for the phone is email and it is horrible. At times I can go about 6 hours before it goes and updated emails. I never had issues like this with my storm. I have the setting rights and even go to refresh my email and it does not pick up.

I was hoping the droid to be comparable to the iphone with the verizon service but I am not satisfied with it. I would have switched at my renewal if at&t service was not so bad in my area.

everyone has their opinions which is what makes these forums go. I did not have many issues with my storm except the first one i bought. But after it was replaced, I never had any other issues.
    So even if you go into the email client and hit "refresh, or check mail" it still doesn't update you until 6 hours?

I will say that my Yahoo has been polling as set for a few weeks now. Hotmail is a different story, but if I hit check mail in K-9, it will pull them then.
    01-19-10 02:24 PM
    yes with some email accounts, I have about 3 accounts set up and it seems like the verizon ones take forever to update. My other one updates fast sometimes and othertimes not at all.
    01-20-10 05:47 AM
    Oh well. Have fun at the Storm board.

It's thataway.

01-20-10 09:18 AM
    my gmail and exchange account are moody (sometimes instant, 5-10 minutes late other times) but definitely tolerable. It's better than BIS outages and not getting them at all. You couldn't pay me to go back to a blackberry as the Droid benefits far outweigh its little quirks.
    01-20-10 09:32 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD