I just ditched my blackberry 9000 and got me a Droid. So far I LOVE it! It makes my Blackberry look like a thing of the past. The OS, apps, and phone processing is about 3 steps up from my bold.

I have a couple of questions. I am planning to root my phone in a few days and wanted to know the whole deal with running 2.1? I want the live wallpapers and UI that 2.1 has to offer but didnt know how to go about doing it. I know I have to root the phone, but how do I install the 2.1 OS? Is there a tutorial or something that someone could give me? Thanks in advance!
    02-09-10 10:35 AM
    2.1 is being pushed this week to the Droid's from what I've read, so if I were you I'd hold off for the official, heard of problems with the ported 2.1
    02-09-10 10:48 AM
    The 2.1 that is being pushed to the phones is a stripped down version. It will not have the live wallpapers and will have the same look as 2.0.1

Motorola Droid's next update to be Android 2.1, includes multitouch browser -- Engadget
    02-09-10 11:07 AM
    Yeah, im not really interested in the "2.1" that verizon is pushing out. Im gonna go ahead and get a ROM based 2.1

If you get a ROM based 2.1 for a rooted phone, can you eventually switch back to the original 2.0 if need be?
    02-09-10 01:38 PM
    Yeah, im not really interested in the "2.1" that verizon is pushing out. Im gonna go ahead and get a ROM based 2.1

If you get a ROM based 2.1 for a rooted phone, can you eventually switch back to the original 2.0 if need be?
    Yes, you can . You just need to find a stock 2.01 nandroid file, which is easy, and flash back to stock.

There are custom 2.01 ROMS out there that have all the goodies of 2.1 (except the live wallpapers), AND overclocking.
    02-09-10 02:05 PM
    Yes, you can . You just need to find a stock 2.01 nandroid file, which is easy, and flash back to stock.

There are custom 2.01 ROMS out there that have all the goodies of 2.1 (except the live wallpapers), AND overclocking.
    Nice! Thanks.
    02-09-10 03:45 PM
    A couple more questions:

If i add apps, contacts ect before I root my droid and install a new ROM, will it all be lost once I do this?

Where is the best place to get ROMs? I want a 2.1 ROM but dont know where to get the best one.
    02-09-10 04:28 PM
    I've also read about devs being able to make a better, more solid "2.1 port" once the "official" 2.1 gets pushed to droid. so...from what i understand, once official 2.1 files come out for the droid, the nexus1 2.1 port will be able to be made more solid. think of a Blackberry hybrid, but using the droid 2.1 as a base, with nexus1 2.1 files added to it.
    02-09-10 05:32 PM
    A couple more questions:

If i add apps, contacts ect before I root my droid and install a new ROM, will it all be lost once I do this?

Where is the best place to get ROMs? I want a 2.1 ROM but dont know where to get the best one.
    Google sync will restore your contacts, you can either redownload your apps, or use Astro to backup your apps and reinstall them.

Go to alldroid.org for the custom ROMS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-10 07:48 PM
    I personally use PETE's ROMs from Alldroid.org

It allows you to update your ROMs without Wiping. meaning you install the ROM over the old ROM and you preserve all your data.

Updates Via SPRecovery
    02-09-10 09:42 PM
    Question..Does any of the roms support animated gif?
    02-09-10 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD