I have gone from ****ty samsung flip phones to motorola phones to my prized possession at the time the curve 8310..which I cherished for 2 1/2 years..and then I just got myself the Samsung Captivate. 4-inch Super AMOLED screen, 5MP camera with hd video recording and 1ghz Hummingbird processor...amazing isn't it? No...it really wasn't

As I sit here I'm staring at it and hating it..and can't wait to exchange it for the Torch.

Here is why I dislike it and why I like BB

The captivate is a solid..speedy phone that gives iphone a run for its money. The screen is gorgeous, web pages load super fast...so many apps to choose from..a very nice OS and everything one could ask for except for a few KEY things...

The battery life on the captivate lasted me not even a full day...today I went online for a hr or so..messaged by BF..took 2 pictures of my dogs and the rest it slept...FULL battery at 10 am...40% at 8 pm..now that's ridiculous..there is a price to pay for that pretty screen...blackberry on the other hand has a decent screen, but you get more than 2 days out of it for the most part..that right there is key!

Emails from yahoo (anything other than GMAIL) will not even show up as being new..you must goto the app and press "REFRESH" i couldn't stand it...I wanted my email to just pop up..here that little noise and blink but there is no notifying on the captivate and u dont know shi* whether you have an email or an sms..it was terrible for someone who relied on my email.

GPS still has not locked on correctly as well

I played with the torch in store today and it was a breath of reliable..fresh air. It is a solid phone and i'm just letting anyone who still wants that familiar bb sense but also has a hankering for more internet experience than the torch is def for you.

I will be very excited to throw my POS to them and get a RELIABLE BB back
    08-10-10 09:25 PM
    Sorry to burst your bubble but my galaxy s vibrant which is the same as the captivate is amazing.
    Battery lasts all day and I use it quite a bit. Maybe you keep your apps running in the background,i don't
    know. Also I have 5 email accounts set up on this thing and they work just fine. Infact, I am amazed how well the email works on this thing.It notifies me on every email,again, maybe something not set up correctly. That being said, as a messaging device, Blackberry just can't be beat (for now). If the 9800 is the best BB to date, which I'm sure it is, it will be pretty darn good. I will keep my Vibrant, but might trade my 9700 for the 9800.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 09:55 PM
    We are the same boat. I also have a Captivate but can't wait to trade it in on Thursday. I can live with my current battery life, after applying the tips from the droid forums, and you are correct the screen is nice, but for me thats about it. I have to have consistency and the Captivate does not deliver. I can not tell you how many simple SMS I've missed due to not being notified, and I don't even want to get started on email, Facebook, etc. Android is new and to some exciting, but not very reliable as a communications device, so come Thursday I'm coming back home.......for good lol
    08-10-10 10:02 PM
    That's cool that your phone actually works well, I'm on my second captivate since my first shut off on me a couple times too many. I have all my emails set up correctly, the native email app does not tell you you have a new email, you must refresh so I'm not sure how your phone works but thats how this one works. GMAIL will tell you immediatly when you have a new email, but i do not use it. I have advanced task killer, I have lowered my brightness to the lowest it can go and i barely use anything and my battery is a POS..(2nd battery mind you) so super you have a solid phone..but the captivate does have it's problems and they are real on some devices.
    08-10-10 10:04 PM
    It must be a Captivate issue because mine is crap when it comes to all notifications except Google.
    08-10-10 10:06 PM
    We are the same boat. I also have a Captivate but can't wait to trade it in on Thursday. I can live with my current battery life, after applying the tips from the droid forums, and you are correct the screen is nice, but for me thats about it. I have to have consistency and the Captivate does not deliver. I can not tell you how many simple SMS I've missed due to not being notified, and I don't even want to get started on email, Facebook, etc. Android is new and to some exciting, but not very reliable as a communications device, so come Thursday I'm coming back home.......for good lol
    Yah i'm also a member of androidforums.com and i have seen numerous people complaining of the same issues...such as GPS being one...and i mean my curve never had problems with GPS...i need to be notified by a blinking lightt too..or ill go nuts! lol...hope the torch does it for us both..android territory i was not ready for lol
    08-10-10 10:07 PM
    Is there another seat on the boat? I am trading in my captivate on Thursday, had it for almost 30 days.

Although Battery life did get better after a little while, the email was very unreliable. I used the gmail appp and having the refresh set to 5 minutes and still most of the time my emails would come in bunches.

Screen was awesome, but i was disappointed in the speaker volume. If i wanted to play a youtube clip to somebody, it was really hard to hear even with media volume maxed.

Also, no LED light, booo.

I really did like the Swype, but one thing about Swype is you cant do it while walking.

Bottom line, i gave it a good try, just not for me. I am looking forward to my 9800 come Thursday!
    08-10-10 10:10 PM
    Thats one thing I liked, swype. I returned an Aria and a Motorola droid x to come back to my reliable BB, and hopefully getting the 9800. To each his own I guess but I can relate to the OP and whoever else wasnt that impressed with android. Dont get me wrong, the aria and droid x are nice devices but not for me.
    08-10-10 10:13 PM
    Yah i'm also a member of androidforums.com and i have seen numerous people complaining of the same issues...such as GPS being one...and i mean my curve never had problems with GPS...i need to be notified by a blinking lightt too..or ill go nuts! lol...hope the torch does it for us both..android territory i was not ready for lol
    Lol Right! I forgot to mention the gps issue because I stop trying to get it to work and forgot about it. I can't wait to get my hands on a Torch so I can feel truly connected again.
    08-10-10 10:14 PM
    Search for K9 Mail in the Android App marketplace.
    It turns all IMAP email into push with notifications.
    I used it on my Nexus one and it would beep before my Blackberry did.

40% battery at 8pm is not bad... Would you EVER surf the internet for an hour on your BB, heck no.. nobody has that much patience.
    You have a phone that does WAY more than the BB and you are using those extra features so dont expect BB battery life.

Use the Captivate like your berry.. text.. email.. phone calls and I am sure you will get better battery life.
    08-10-10 10:38 PM
    Maybe you should get the Torch on a second number before trading in the Captivate. This way you can test them together for a few days. I think people are reaching here if you think the Torch can compare to the Iphone or Captivate in speed and screen.
    No I know how fast the captivate is, very fast. The BB Torch is fine for me as well, there are just some things I could live without on the captivate..and just cause it has a nice screen and loads web pages faster well..who cares. BB has always been solid. And the captivate lags on me sometimes so it isn't an amazing device..honestly if someone were in the market for a captivate, i'd steer than to the iphone..much more solid
    08-10-10 10:40 PM
    Search for K9 Mail in the Android App marketplace.
    It turns all IMAP email into push with notifications.
    I used it on my Nexus one and it would beep before my Blackberry did.

40% battery at 8pm is not bad... Would you EVER surf the internet for an hour on your BB, heck no.. nobody has that much patience.
    You have a phone that does WAY more than the BB and you are using those extra features so dont expect BB battery life.

Use the Captivate like your berry.. text.. email.. phone calls and I am sure you will get better battery life.
    I had k9 on my captivate and it never updated my email on time, id get them in bushels..very annoying. Though that's what im saying...id spare a better web page loading experience over solid email..blinking notification and solid GPS over a do it all phone. I mean i've got a laptop for surfing the internet, i've got an hd camera for pictures..to put it all in once device which sucks all the battery when maybe all i want to do is make a phone call is not for me. just my opinion, and trust me i tried everything to make the captivate work..it didnt
    08-10-10 10:43 PM
    I have played with both and agree, I prefer blackberry. Everyone has their own choice. I do browse for several hours a day on my 9700 and love it most of the time. Hopefully OS6 makes browsing even better.
    08-10-10 10:48 PM
    I have played with both and agree, I prefer blackberry. Everyone has their own choice. I do browse for several hours a day on my 9700 and love it most of the time. Hopefully OS6 makes browsing even better.
    +1

if os6 runs fine on onyx (i am not 100% if it will run super smoothly as it may on torch because of extra mem) then the web experience should be equal to the torch.

torch and onyx use same cpu and the only difference is mem so lets see how this works out when os6 is avail for the onyx
    08-10-10 11:35 PM
    see those are the type of things that steer me away from those android phones. you need an app just so that it can do email the right way??? (sorry being biased) that would **** me off. i have a bb bold 9000 and i still wouldnt go to an android. yeah browsing could be faster on another device but like someone on here said having a solid device that runs everything well is key. i never turn off my 3G and battery life is still good. and i do browse the net with my phone for an hour sometimes more. these other phones are like the iphone "look at me look at me!!!!"
    well what can you do? "i can multitask now" a pretty screen and wifi video calling are not gonna sell me. although ive seen an EVO do video calling with some sort of app over the network. it was kinda cool.
    08-10-10 11:52 PM
    This is a great post. I am now completely confident in the decision to go Torch on Thursday and to stop considering the Androids (and iPhone too).
    08-10-10 11:54 PM
    This is a great post. I am now completely confident in the decision to go Torch on Thursday and to stop considering the Androids (and iPhone too).
    i agree, this post puts another notch for the Torch
    08-10-10 11:56 PM
    i agree, this post puts another notch for the Torch
    With several posts and reviews out there blasting the Torch before it even drops, this was needed. I currently have a Captivate, and haven't even as much picked it up after learning about the Torch. I had buyers remorse after a few hours.....one more day!!!
    08-11-10 12:03 AM
    Can't wait!!
    08-11-10 12:04 AM
    With several posts and reviews out there blasting the Torch before it even drops, this was needed. I currently have a Captivate, and haven't even as much picked it up after learning about the Torch. I had buyers remorse after a few hours.....one more day!!!
    yeah i'm jumping head first no matter what. like i said in another post i dont wantg to learn a new phone, i want to keep doing what i'm doing but better.
    08-11-10 12:06 AM
    Sent my Captivate back, buying 2 Torch phones Thursday.
    08-11-10 12:40 AM
    User error.
    08-11-10 12:59 AM
    God has spoken. Oh wait...sorry, urgod trolled. Everyone carry on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 01:11 AM
    Im glad it helped! The captivate is a fun toy and i was on vacation when I heard the news of the torch just like you YeaIDID I hardly touched it after..and am really anticipating having a new BB!

thanks god for the 30 day "buyers remorse"!!!!!!
    08-11-10 01:41 AM
    Interesting that the Captivate seems to have worse battery life than other androids.

Had wi-fi on all day and did a good amount of web browsing + facebook app, decent amount of texting, some app installs/uninstalls, widgets running/updating in background, and took ten minutes of video and my battery was 47 percent at around 15 hours with my Incredible.
    08-11-10 01:49 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD