Is there a screen protector that will take the glare off the Incredible screen?
    I like the phone but I can not see the screen at all in bright light.
    Would a screen protector remedy that?
    05-09-10 09:53 AM
    Is there a screen protector that will take the glare off the Incredible screen?
    I like the phone but I can not see the screen at all in bright light.
    Would a screen protector remedy that?
    I do not think a screen protector will help you. AMOLED screens lose visibility in direct sunlight.
    05-09-10 11:49 AM
    Turn up to 100, then it can usually be seen in the sun. Yes, back-lit screens can be seen easier, but man, everywhere else, oleds kill it.
    05-09-10 11:54 AM
    Seidio has an anti glare screen protector available on 5/15. I used an antiglare protector on my hd2 and it was awesome.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 09:27 AM
    Are you not able to see the screen at all in the sun. Or is it just slightly hard to see?

05-11-10 04:46 PM
    Are you not able to see the screen at all in the sun. Or is it just slightly hard to see?

In direct sunlight the screen is barely visible even with it at 100% brightness. It's a known issue with amoled screens.

05-11-10 09:31 PM
    In direct sunlight the screen is barely visible even with it at 100% brightness. It's a known issue with amoled screens.

Hypothetical is your statement at best Room for a thesis? Yes. Can this be tested? Yes. Does a quantitative survey need to be done to confirm? Indeed
    05-11-10 10:25 PM
    Hypothetical is your statement at best Room for a thesis? Yes. Can this be tested? Yes. Does a quantitative survey need to be done to confirm? Indeed
    On the way walking to work outside, I was playing with my phone and the screen is barely visible. So, I did test it. ;-)

05-11-10 10:38 PM
    On the way walking to work outside, I was playing with my phone and the screen is barely visible. So, I did test it. ;-)

Thats fine sir, but we need to have a petersons cooralation for your opinion, and quite frankly, there is more to rubute what you say than to confirm.
    Nexus One vs iPhone Screen Comparison | Bill Stebbins dot com
    I have seen both, and the myth that OLEDS get washed out in the sun, is as good as the poor contrasting LEDS washing out in the sun. The sun will wash out most everything. Have you tried setting your TV up in the sun? Yeah, good luck with seeing it. Quantum physics states that the sun wins against our lit screens every single day. The military does have some cool tech on the matter, but by the department of defence, they know what spectrum's to work with, whats transmitted, reflected, and absorbed. OLEDS are going to stand up just fine Beating the sun takes a little more science than whats available to us citizens
    Last edited by johnly; 05-11-10 at 11:01 PM. Reason: shorten
    05-11-10 10:55 PM
    Thats fine sir, but we need to have a petersons cooralation for your opinion, and quite frankly, there is more to rubute what you say than to confirm.
    I have seen both, and the myth that OLEDS get washed out in the sun, is as good as the poor contrasting LEDS. The sun will wash out most everything. Have you tried setting your TV up in the sun? Yeah, good luck with seeing it. Quantum physics states that the sun wins against our lit screens every single day. The military does have some cool tech on the matter, but by the department of defence, they know what spectrum's to work with, whats transmitted, reflected, and absorbed. OLEDS are going to stand up just fine Beating the sun takes a little more science than whats available to us citizens
    You are correct but I was just informing them of my observations. ;-)

05-11-10 11:02 PM

If you shade it with anything (even your body) you can see it outside. If the sun's shining right on it then you can't see jack. I play golf and use mine, it's not that much of a problem. People whine about it, but it's not impossible to shade it somewhat.
    05-11-10 11:05 PM
    You are correct but I was just informing them of my observations. ;-)

Your observations are correct. With my LED droid, I get the same thing in the sun....can't see s&^%$. I always need to shade my phone to see whats going on. Thanks for your honest opinion...
    05-11-10 11:07 PM
    Your observations are correct. With my LED droid, I get the same thing in the sun....can't see s&^%$. I always need to shade my phone to see whats going on. Thanks for your honest opinion...
    You're welcome. I don't spend much time outside so its not a problem for me. ;-)

05-11-10 11:14 PM
    If you shade it with anything (even your body) you can see it outside. If the sun's shining right on it then you can't see jack. I play golf and use mine, it's not that much of a problem. People whine about it, but it's not impossible to shade it somewhat.
    You're right. I use my shadow to shade the screen when I'm walking from the parking lot to my work place. Works fine. :-)

05-11-10 11:16 PM
    Come to Iowa, you won't have to worry about the sun, it's always cloudy.
    05-13-10 07:32 AM
    There is one at seidio that covers full screen...but its on back order.

05-13-10 10:22 AM
    I have seen both, and the myth that OLEDS get washed out in the sun, is as good as the poor contrasting LEDS washing out in the sun. The sun will wash out most everything. Have you tried setting your TV up in the sun? Yeah, good luck with seeing it. Quantum physics states that the sun wins against our lit screens every single day. The military does have some cool tech on the matter, but by the department of defense, they know what spectrum's to work with, whats transmitted, reflected, and absorbed. OLEDS are going to stand up just fine Beating the sun takes a little more science than whats available to us citizens
    They should sticky this quote......lol

Any forum im on i see the same "I cant see my screen in direct sunlight" thread. I said it then and i'll say it now," Stop starin at your phone in direct sunlight. "
    If the need to stare is there then refer to above quote.
    05-13-10 01:34 PM
    So, did you coin a new word here? Is that a hybrid conflation of refute and rebut?

05-13-10 01:42 PM
    I have seen both, and the myth that OLEDS get washed out in the sun, is as good as the poor contrasting LEDS washing out in the sun. The sun will wash out most everything. Have you tried setting your TV up in the sun? Yeah, good luck with seeing it. Quantum physics states that the sun wins against our lit screens every single day. The military does have some cool tech on the matter, but by the department of defence, they know what spectrum's to work with, whats transmitted, reflected, and absorbed. OLEDS are going to stand up just fine Beating the sun takes a little more science than whats available to us citizens
    I will take anyone's first hand experience over "proven science" any day my friend. Sure, using big words and rambling on about physics etc. makes you sound like you know what you are talking about (and you probably do), but dude, chill!
    Don't blow up someone's opinion or proven fact when they are sharing their experience. First hand experience rules over any explanation. I feel like I am back in college. LOL

BTW, thank you for sharing your opinion though. No offense "johnly".

meh ...
    05-15-10 08:55 AM
    I will take anyone's first hand experience over "proven science" any day my friend. Sure, using big words and rambling on about physics etc. makes you sound like you know what you are talking about (and you probably do), but dude, chill!
    Don't blow up someone's opinion or proven fact when they are sharing their experience. First hand experience rules over any explanation. I feel like I am back in college. LOL

BTW, thank you for sharing your opinion though. No offense "johnly".

meh ...
    Science is controlled experience in a sense.

05-15-10 11:41 AM
    Science is controlled experience in a sense.

True, however specs on paper don't necessarily translate to real world experience. Amoled specs may sound good to an engineer, but if people can't see it nearly as well in direct sunlight than the Blackberry they just switched from, then which carries more weight; science or subjective experience?

I want what works well for me, not what should work but doesn't.

05-15-10 11:53 AM
    True, however specs on paper don't necessarily translate to real world experience. Amoled specs may sound good to an engineer, but if people can't see it nearly as well in direct sunlight than the Blackberry they just switched from, then which carries more weight; science or subjective experience?

I want what works well for me, not what should work but doesn't.

So then the argument being presented as. The technical data supports the "fact" that amoled screens work great in the sunlight? Cause my storm is terrible in direct sunlight

05-15-10 11:58 AM
    So then the argument being presented as. The technical data supports the "fact" that amoled screens work great in the sunlight? Cause my storm is terrible in direct sunlight

Your Storm isn't amoled, and there are many many people on crackberry and elsewhere who have reported that when they switched from a Curve, a Tour or a Bold to an Incredible that their Blackberry outperformed the Incredible in direct sunlight. I can see my Tour just fine in direct sunlight.

However, that's not the main point of my argument. My point is that in many cases, subjective experience trumps science. I just used amoled as an example because that's what were discussing here. My reply was to your statement about science.

05-15-10 12:12 PM
    Just to clarify things a bit, I'm not trying to start a war between Blackberry and the Incredible. They both have their place, and to each his own. The Incredible is an impressive device.

To reiterate, I'm simply talking about the mentality that some people have (not necessarily you, bbearhug), in which they hold science on a pedestal over all else. Science isn't the end all of end all's. It's not some panacea by which we can deliver mankind from all its woes. It's a tool in the tool chest that has helped us develop and advance as a society, but it will never overshadow real world experience and reality.

To say, "science is controlled experience is a sense" as a standalone statement would be accurate. But to say, "science is controlled experience is a sense", in response to someone who is interested in how the device actually performs experientially, really isn't a valid argument.

05-15-10 12:48 PM
    I did offer it as a standalone statement. To offer perspective to the mind that disregard science in it's entirety. Or it's value. I didn't say it to disagree. But even experience can be false. Not here in this situation currently but in life

05-15-10 05:43 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD